Travelling Man - Cover

Travelling Man

Copyright© 2015 by Lapi

Chapter 1

"Your Holiness, highness or whatever you are; I don't think you and your little empire, soon to be a pile of rubble, have anything me and my men want. As beautiful as you look, that does not pay our bills. I will give you one thing, your brother may be able to pay and in gold, but we generally try not to 'sleep with snakes. I don't trust him, my men, women too, don't trust him, so you will not be fighting any of my people. As far as beautiful women, we can drown our sorrow at loss of your vast payment in Bangkok. None will match your beauty true, but they may be eager to try. There are no hard feeling on our part, frankly we hope you win this upcoming skirmish with him."

She gave a deep sigh. From the swell of her chest and her almost popping out of her top, I wanted to change my mind. "Mr. Smith or Jones or whatever you call yourself, is there not a song with the words You done me wrong?"

"Yes Madam, Miss, your bounce-fullness I do believe you are correct. Serenading us will just get you tip money, not the $500,000 you indicated."

Handing me something. "And what, pray tell, will this get me?"

I unwrapped the cloth and saw the largest Emerald I had ever seen, set in a golden crown and said: "This your Ladyship, gets us to call you 'Boss'. Just tell me where you want us and if you will join us for dinner someday?" I handed her back the crown.

"Keep this, I think we may be able to 'liberate' an item or two from our 'little tussle' with your brother. Something like that crown deserves to remain with someone like you. If you will allow me to make a call, my men are in planes overhead and will land nearby."

"You are a very unusual man Mr. Smith!"

"You are a very unusual woman also, soon to be Queen Of Tarsus."

"You will not need my troops?"

"Perhaps they could better serve to ready this land for your coronation. Above I have 500 men, the finest 'shock' troops money can buy. Unless I am mistaken, we only have to 'liberate' the Royal Palace. I will hold back the men to allow you time to assume your new role and 'obtain' some compensation for my men and I. Unless your brother spouts wings and flies away, your new home, old one rather, should be ready by tomorrow."

"Then Yes indeed, I shall join you for a meal, perhaps even more. You are very, very unusual Mr. Smith.

Ten planes with 50 men on board landed. A half-dozen transports with armoured cars, two with arms and munitions and another packed to the brim with helmets, vests and clear shields. They might have not gained any numerical superiority against the 'enemy' but Mr. Smith knew the people watching his men mount up were already going to be his best weapons. He could almost smell the fear they must be feeling. He would, was willing to match each of his men with 10 or 20 of the irregulars, conscripted by Raj. He would be surprised if even 500 men would stand and oppose him at the Palace. There was something about the girl too. He had not been able to put it into words until now. Unlike the flowery promises and images of great wealth for he and his men from her brother, he felt un-clean. It was as though he was covered with the leavings of a pig in some sty. This was not the feeling his sister left him with.

Her 'promise' for an amount of money was backed-up with everything she had. He knew not having access to her home resources had to be limited, yet she gave him all she had. She was committed, not some casual observer.

Some rode, some walked and from the reports he got from the scouts the 'Road To Mandalay' was clear. His men were what he had called them; 'The finest shock troops money could buy!' He wondered if he himself was becoming like them. The leads, or officers, had been with him through various campaigns. They were a mix of Legion, South African Mercs, Laotian fighters and some Russian 'Spetnaz' who decided they would not run from Kabul. He tried to keep old and new mixed in groups of ten. Half of them were being paid less than what a Western Business made in a week, but to them it was a lot of money. They had a policy in his command that if they did take casualties, monies would be sent to their families.

The things they made no compromises on were food and equipment. They were provided the best of everything. This to some of them who thought an AK shoved into their hands with not even a full clip readied them for battle.

There was the sound of 2 or three explosions up ahead, he could not determine exactly the number. He was still thinking of the girl. Damn she almost lost the top part of that outfit. He had better get his mind back onto work.

Yes, death and destruction had become work. Another day, another few thousand bucks. In his case maybe a little more. He was finding fewer and fewer situations where one could say one side was good or bad. It had become who paid better. That was one reason he was glad the girl came through with something of value. If he was honest with himself, he knew there was another reason, maybe two and they had almost popped out of her dress today.

Two more explosions. The report came back that they were 'clearing mines' another blast, this time a report in French. A flare, a green flare went up from ahead. The Royal Palace was within sight and no contact with opposition forces.

Man, Rodger hated that. You never knew if they were hidden, waiting for you or really run away. He called for a break. Rest, water and ready in 10 he radioed. Mobile skirmishers could be used, but they had two drones with then and it was like a walled city. The drones would not see that much but if they took fire, it was a safer option to use. Besides, they had not cost him anything. The Arabs 'liberated' some, he 'liberated' some from them in Syria. This was one of those times he would have liked better 'Eyes in the sky', Oh Well.

He called out, "Eyes". That was followed by a call for 30 minutes rest.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.