David's Life - Book II: Just Like Starting Over - Cover

David's Life - Book II: Just Like Starting Over

Copyright© 2016 by Diederik Rask

Chapter 5: School is in Session - Spring Semester 1982

The Spring semester began on January 4th. Their course load was the same, except for David taking the Ministry/Leadership course instead of the standard religious education course. This was to help him better understand how to lead people; something he felt he needed to improve greatly. With the new semester, David and Meri both went out for Basketball. Meri made the JV team for the ladies, while David made the cut for Varsity in the men's team. Part of that was because Meri enjoyed playing, but was not forceful enough on the court for Varsity. It didn't matter; they both enjoyed themselves and had fun.

David and Meri both signed up for Drivers Ed, since they'd both be sixteen by the start of the next school year, with David being able to drive come summer, once he passed the course, his driver's test and got his limited license, he also planned on getting his motorcycle endorsement, but that would be some time in the future.

One thing that some found curious was that it seemed as if the two of them never got ill. Nor, did Meri ever complain of women's problems each month. The one time that Meri got roughed up badly on the court at a game, it hadn't been an intentional foul, she got up without even a burn on her skin where she'd slid on the floor. It was much the same with David, when he was fouled during a big game, and had his legs taken out from under him as he went up for a lay up. He missed the shot, but made his free throws. People simply shrugged and figured they had some really good luck. If only they knew.


Meri, with David's encouragement, ran for Class Treasurer, while he ran for Class President. Each of them won with a notable majority of the vote. These were positions they would continue to hold through graduation. David pushed for many changes that he believed were in the best interests of the students and school. Both of them took part in many projects to help their class earn money for various things like a class trip each year, and to help support local charities. Meri, with her background in accounting watched the books like a hawk, found ways to stretch the money, and got the class to work harder to fill their coffers to do the things they'd all agreed upon, as well as to help fund acquisition of new gear for the sports teams. Her efforts even affected the Junior and Senior classes and their efforts. They couldn't allow the Sophomore class to show them up.


David had moved up quickly in the NJROTC ranks, through his efforts, grades, understanding and knowledge of everything from the basics, like Drill and Ceremony, to the more advanced subjects. He always worked to get ahead of where he was supposed to be, so that he was at first one and then, by the end of the first semester, 10 units ahead of the others who started at the same time as he did. Part of this was through the help of Meri's father, Walter. The man was a treasure trove of information about the Navy, customs, history, and more. He was, the unit's second in command when he started his Junior year. Some might have thought to prevent it, since he was only a Junior and only had two semesters under his belt, but his dedication, integrity, and proven leadership were the deciding factors. Those he had by passed may have felt slighted, at first, but he took the time to help them become better; taught them all he knew as best he could; and ensured they were all better for their experiences.

Their GPAs were both 4.0+ at the end of their sophomore year. The school did not have a grade higher than 4.0, but for students of their standing, they added the "+" to indicate that such students went above and beyond the requirements in all aspects of their work. There was one hitch, in the spring semester, with one teacher, who refused to give any student a "perfect" grade, because no one is perfect and therefore 99% was the best she would assign. David took the matter, first to the teacher, and found he would not get anywhere with her; so, he informed her that he was going to take it up with her department head, just as if he were in the military taking a problem up the chain of command. The department head wasn't willing to rock the ship, in spite of knowing that David's grades should have reflected his actual work. While David understood, he did not accept this either. So, David informed the department head that he was going to take it to the Vice Principal, and proceeded to do so the next school day, which was Monday as the day this started was a Friday.


On the following Monday, David came in early, accompanied by his mother. He'd made the appointment on Friday, before school let out, to speak with the Vice Principal before school began on Monday. The VP was receptive, but clearly willing to allow the teacher's grades to stand. When Sandy realized this, she started to get involved directly.

"Are you going to tell me, that you are going to allow one teacher to negatively affect every student, who takes her course, by down grading them because, as I understand it, 'no one is perfect'?"

"Mrs. Sawyer, there is no harm in a grade of 99% vs 100. I see no reason to make her change. She's been doing it that way for years now."

"So, you're going to tell me, Sir, that because that's how she's done it for years that you find it fair and reasonable?"

"Yes, Mrs. Sawyer, that's what I am saying. We've never had a complaint about it before, so I don't see it as being worth changing."

"Do you have a copy of the student handbook available?"

"Yes, would you like me to get it? Not that I see it helping your claim in this case."

"Yes, because I've read it. David has read it. Meri and her parents have read it. And, I'm telling you now that you're going to find yourself on the wrong side of things if you insist that what she is doing is fair."

Shrugging, VP Agostini went and retrieved the student handbook and handed it over to Sandy. It took but a moment to find the page she was looking for and showed it to him. At first he read it and responded with, "I don't see how this matters in this case. It simply states that the school sets high standards for education, integrity, and honor. How does that have anything to do with this issue?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.