David's Life - Book II: Just Like Starting Over - Cover

David's Life - Book II: Just Like Starting Over

Copyright© 2016 by Diederik Rask

Chapter 4: School is in Session - Fall Semester 1981

Meri and David had also come down for an orientation they were required to take part in the week before school began. Now, on the 8th of September, they started their first day at Notre Dame High School. They managed to get nearly all the same classes. Both of them managed to get accepted into the AP classes for every subject available to them. They shared English, AP World History, Regents Physics and Chemistry. They both started out in Algebra I, but by the end of the first week were being tested to find out where they really should be. This led them testing out of Algebra I and II and Geometry, too. They were both shuffled around so that they can take Trigonometry. They don't have physical education together. Nor do they have religious education together. Language is also required, but they both already were able to speak Spanish as if they had grown up with it; to make use of their skills, the teacher has them help tutor other students for their grades; those who they tutored showing a remarkable improvement by the end of the semester.


During the summer at the camp, David had managed to get Meri to join him in running daily. By the time school started, Meri had agreed to join the school's cross country team. During tryouts, each of them manage to get onto the JV team. They hope to make it to the Varsity team each of the following years. This being their first year on the school's teams, they want to take it a little more carefully.


David does very well in religious ed., as does Meri. While they aren't very religious, they do enjoy learning. For their spiritual needs, they joined the Utica Unitarian Universalist Church. They managed attend most Sundays and enjoyed the people and environment. The Reverend Tom Cleary is quite the character, and made services fun for all. Additionally, they take part in volunteer activities, such as going to the Masonic Home and reading to the residents there, or just talking with them. Many of their peers don't really enjoy listening to the residents talk about their lives, but Meri and David both loved hearing about the pasts and learning things that you can't from any book. Even having lived a full life once already, there was so much to learn from people they didn't know before. They took advantage of it and made life a little better for those with whom they spent time with.

David and Meri both excelled in every course they are in, which does in fact skew the grading curve; but only a little. To make up for it, they spend time with their fellow students who are in need of some help; this brings up more grades. The teachers take note of the improvements and the reason behind them. They are all very happy to see these two not only working hard for their own educations, but to help others do better in theirs.

The pair would also go out on weekends to see movies and have a meal together. Sometimes, they'd even invite some of their new friends along. It was no surprise, to their peers, when they are both asked to run for positions on the student body. They discussed it with their families. Already, they are putting a lot of time into extra curricular school activities with the tutoring, the visits to the Masonic Home, and Cross Country. Fortunately, they had the time. Besides, Student Body Elections aren't until spring.


Early on, once the girls at school noticed him, David was asked out a number of times. Each time, he let the young lady down easily. He made it clear he was with Meri and not about to change it. In spite of this, he ended up with a good many female friends. Meri also got a bit of attention, which she wasn't used to, but she also let them know she was with David. Both were so good at dealing with people that it was easy to let them down, yet turn them into friendly acquaintances, if not friends. What none of those who approached them knew was how they teased one another about this "hottie" or that "hunk". Neither felt jealousy over the other. They were too close, and comfortable for that. Even if one of them "strayed" it wouldn't mean much, and they'd have discussed it ahead of time. An agreement that remained in place from their first life together.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.