A.I. - Cover

A.I.

Copyright© 2015 by Colin Barrett

Chapter 9

I'd forgotten how really sore pedaling a bicycle can make your legs when you're not used to it. Being in shape isn't enough; it's the unaccustomed repetitive motion that gets you.

As the afternoon went on I'd started feeling a little of it, enough that several times I'd stopped for breaks. There weren't many people on the trail during a workday, and none of those I met gave me more than a glance. I exchanged casual greetings with a few but nothing to draw attention to myself, and I took my breaks only when nobody was in sight.

I finally found an isolated little patch of woods where I thought it would be safe to spend the night, and that's when the legs really started complaining. But that was nothing to what I was feeling in the morning; it was ten minutes before I could even stand up straight.

Country woods can be a little noisy at night. Not loud, but you hear the occasional rustle as something moves around—deer, 'coons, whatever. Tree frogs and other nocturnal bugs sing out, owls hoot. Road noise carries quite a way, and I could pick up passing cars even though the nearest road was several hundred feet from me; I also could hear the occasional dog.

My own voice would carry, too, I realized. I called Lee but made it brief and kept it quiet. She was still plenty worried and pressed some more about how I'd got into this situation, but all I could do was reassure her that I was safe for now and promise to explain later.

I hoped I'd have the chance to do so.

Before I called I'd turned off my cell's ringer, but this time Ashley didn't call on the heels of mine to her. Then I passed a little time talking to Spook, very quietly, but after a while I got antsy about making even that much noise and signed off.

Country woods are dark at night, too. Really dark; the sky was clear but there was only about a quarter moon and the tree branches cut off most of that. I hadn't thought to pick up a flashlight, and would have been afraid to use it anyway, so at first I was a little spooked—no pun intended—by being in pitch black with all the noises. But when I compared that to being hunted by armies of cops who thought I might be "armed and dangerous," things quickly fell into perspective.

I gagged down a little of my fast-food "dinner," but there was no way I could finish or anything close; the stuff's nasty enough hot. I tossed the rest of it as far away from me as I could, I didn't need animals smelling it and nosing around me. Then I spread out my new sleeping bag, put on my vest for extra warmth, and crawled in.

You know, sleeping outdoors can be really restful. I half roused a couple of times, but fell back asleep quickly and didn't wake until the sky was nice and light. I never wore a watch, didn't even own one—it always seemed too much like making myself a prisoner of time—but as a result I'd got pretty good at estimating it, and I reckoned it was getting close to 7:00.

Once I got my legs working again I took stock. I needed to clean up and change out of my wrinkled clothes. A shower would be ideal, but I doubted I could manage that, I'd have to settle for a quick wipe-down at a gas station restroom. The clothes, though, I could do here, and it would be better not to look so scruffy when I went to the gas station; I got fresh ones out of my backpack and put them on.

I left the sleeping bag. If all went well today I wouldn't be needing it again. If all didn't go well ... hell, I still wouldn't be needing it again, would I? I tried not to think about that.

Once I'd got over to the road where the traffic was that I'd been listening to the previous evening it was only about a mile down it—far enough to work the last kinks out of my legs, not so far as to tire them out again—to one of those gas stations-cum-minimarts. I parked my bike, locked it and went in and spent about ten bucks on some snacks and drinks so as not to look like a freeloader before I asked for the men's room key. Then I was fairly quick about rinsing off as much as I could, brushing my teeth and shaving.

Rush hour had started and the place was busy with people with someplace to go and a need to be there on time. Nobody much noticed me.

Still, the snacks and drinks would have to do me for now; I didn't want any more exposure than necessary before I had fresh ID. I headed back to the nature trail that would take me most of the rest of the way.

A few peanut butter crackers, a candy bar and a soda left me feeling at least not starved, and I was back on my way. I'd call Lee later, she didn't have early classes and liked to sleep in.

By the time I called I was where I wanted to be. There was a little knoll overlooking one of the streets in the housing development where my friends lived, with some underbrush to conceal me if I sat quietly. I had no idea what time the mail was delivered there, but I'd see the postal carrier's vehicle from here. I only wanted to do this once, and I didn't want to wait late if I could avoid it.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.