One Way or Another - Cover

One Way or Another

Copyright© 2015 by Lapi

Chapter 3

Unlike the 380 or even the 319, this plane combined long range, a no need for a huge runway and more tolerance of harsh landings. All this was at the expense of greater fuel usage but greater fuel capacity, meaning luxury came at a price of less space and more expense to operate.

The call for a landing now seemed anti-climactic for Mollie. She had flown so many miles and taken off and landed so many times it was a no-brainer for her.

Upon landing, people from their local MB plant were there to pick them up and drive them to the meeting. Mollie was on auto-pilot now. She followed Karl without even thinking. Like many professional she began the routine to prepare herself for combat. In this case her ordeal to vanquish a foe and walk away with some land.

Marta walked behind them to one of the cars.

"She is preparing herself. This is good, very good. I was not certain if she would take this meeting to heart. We have already gotten several messages from Berlin about your trip. One confirms this location is no longer the preferred site. Erika leaves things up to you to decide, or should I say what ever your Fiancée decides. Welcome to you new life. Hans Bauer and some of his staff would care to meet you and have you tour the MB facility, perhaps even to lunch before the meeting. If you do, be prepared for many questions from them."

Karl decided on a compromise of sorts. The caravan of cars stopped at the plant. Karl got out, met Hans Bauer and several of his Senior Staff, noted to them that their arrival in Birmingham was already late but suggested, if he wished, a closed circuit feed from the upcoming conference in Berlin be shown at the plant live then on video for any to watch. There would be some announcements made. If possible, if Hans came to Berlin for it, he and Erika would spend some time with him discussing the changes. There was something the wished him to consider.

This was a change in Karl. No longer was he only business. For some strange reason he could not understand why he was becoming political all of a sudden and was beginning to assemble those he and Mollie would come to rely on to execute the new plans. Yes, the supposed exclusivity offered to Hans would make him a stronger ally than some impersonal meeting would. Karl laughed at himself. It had taken quite a long time but it now seemed his sister's influence was rubbing off onto him. Perhaps the leopard could change his spots. Maybe it too was this Mollie, with her he felt, well ... hard to put into words, but he felt different, more complete and it was starting to show in what he did.

Mollie's preparation for what she would say and how she would say it was anti-climactic. The motorcade entered the courtyard for State Government Departments. Several different groups would need to co-operate if this meeting was going to succeed. Deep down inside her, Mollie did not see that happening.

They were escorted inside to a large and formal conference room after a bit of a more than potential problem. Their team of bodyguards were to be excluded. Not only because they were armed but those in attendance felt they would gain greater control of the meeting if they were not there.

The statement by Marta that. "Where we go they go!" brought some consternation to the government leaders. The further statement that a simple email of their price and a map image showing the proposed land would suffice. Have it sent to us in Berlin." There was some sputtering now. It became obvious some plans they had were going to be upset.

"But we have several other sites we would like you to consider. One is a vacant plant already constructed. The land is not as much as you indicated you desired but, as I said it already is built and people for a new plant here would readily be available."

This time it was Mollie. "If we desired your 'White Elephant' we would have dressed as clowns in a circus. We had some interest in the land as was stated. Looking at the map you provided we would like a price for it plus the 1,000 or so acres surrounding it. I assume the other land you will keep as a State Forest for us providing a security buffer for the site. Zoning must be as we will need it. Roads, utilities and tax deferrals should be detailed but at a minimum no tax for 10 years. We will not require any Sales Tax credits, we have no intention now of a new plant here. When will this be done, I do not arrive in Berlin for a few days now."

"And you are?"

"I am your potential customer, one who grows concerned how serious you are in providing us what was asked for."

It was a short meeting. Inga provided contact information and mentioned that if roll drawings and maps were to be sent, a courier could have them in Berlin within 24 hours. Karl had not said a word. Marta was smiling like a fox and Mollie was fuming as they got the motorcade going.

"Those, those ... men. They had no intention to even talk about the land we came her for. I could see it in there eyes. They saw a woman and were going to sell' us only some old place so they could line their pockets with our money."

Both Karl and Marta looked at each other then the still spouting Mollie. They wondered what had changed the scared girl into the tiger they had just seen. Their laugh drew Mollie's attention.

"I guess I got a little upset there. I am so sorry. I had gone over and over everything you told me and pretty much knew what I was going to say, but then they started to dance around. I lost it I guess. I'm so sorry, we did not get the land."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.