Mandy Mischief - Cover

Mandy Mischief

Copyright© 2014 by The Heartbreak Kid

Chapter 4

In 2013 the school Spring term ended at Easter: Wednesday March 27 in fact, and the new Summer term began on Monday April 15th. As a teacher, I theoretically had all this time off, but in reality the coming term would be particularly busy because of the imminent national public exams in May and June. This meant that all the exam candidates had to have assessed coursework completed, as well as be prepared for any written and practical examinations. As well as this, there was the ongoing coursework to be prepared for those too young to take exams this year.

Kat, who didn’t work in education, only had Good Friday through Bank Holiday Monday off work. Mandy was probably old enough to stay on her own during the school break, as she’d done since starting Secondary School, but this year she kind of invited herself to spend time at my place for some, nay, much of the time. Fortunately, she didn’t need anyone to entertain her during this almost three-week period, as she had virtually unlimited access to all my books, art materials, as well as the computer with its Internet connection, to keep her mind occupied.

As for me, I had everything I needed set up and ready on a table in another part of the room, and so the only times that we interacted was when we both took a break at the same time; although Mandy did help pay her way by keeping me topped up with tea, coffee and sandwiches. Kat didn’t come round after work every day, but probably more often than not during those weeks. We had now openly declared our commitment to each other, but sex was still off the agenda. However, Mandy, perceptive as ever, raised the subject one day:

“Why aren’t you and mum sleeping together yet Steve, I know she wants to; is it because of me?” She was old enough and savvy enough for me not to have to sugar-coat my answer.

“Well, in part, I suppose; your mum and me have both been out of a relationship for quite a while, so although we can see a hopefully long-term future together, we want to be sure. Sex is important in an adult relationship, but for me it should be the icing on the cake, rather than the cake itself. I don’t know if you’ve already got your eye on any particular person Mandy, but when you reach that point you’ll probably find out how confusing that emotions can be. Young people often confuse sex with love—older people aren’t immune from that either, unfortunately, but they do usually become more cautious. I think it’s pretty likely that your mum and me are going to have a sexual relationship and we’re both looking forward to it, but it will be when all the important conditions are right, and not just when our hormones tell us it is. Can you understand that?”

“Yes, I think so. When I started having periods and stuff, Mum explained about what you just said, and although it didn’t really mean much at the time it’s starting to now. My friends and I have been talking about boys and sex for ages, but none of us have done much about it except a bit of flirting and kissing. What I really wanted to say, Steve, is that I’m totally okay with you and mum sleeping together, so when you want to you don’t have to worry about me.” I had to smile.

“Thank you! I bet a lot of parents have wished that their kids were as wise as you are!” Mandy smiled and even blushed a bit, but I think she was happier.

Easter passed and we settled back into the new term. I was pleased to see that although I’d come to know Mandy pretty well by then, while in school she never gave any indication that our relationship was any different to that of mine and my other pupils. Equally pleasing, was that I also never heard a single complaint about her behaviour from any of her other teachers; even better, more than one commented about how well she was doing now.

Mandy was in Year 10, which was her first of two at GCSE level, during which she had course work assessments but no terminal exams as she would next year, so her teaching year continued until two-thirds of the way through July. She would be fifteen years old on the fifteenth of that month, so her mother and I wanted to do something nice for her birthday.

Now even though Kat worked full-time she was a single parent so money was always tight. She did her best to make sure that Mandy had nice clothes and other personal and school items when needed, but apart from the museum and art gallery visits they had never been away on holiday, only the infrequent stays with Kat’s parents. Kat told me that her daughter had been very good about this, especially during the last couple of years, and she appreciated her mother’s financial situation so she never asked for much for herself; which is why she really appreciated the special treats, such as the Leonardo da Vinci book which had been quite expensive.

As mother and daughter had such a good relationship, Kat knew that Mandy had long harboured a desire to go to the Louvre, in Paris, but claimed that this could wait until she was older and in a position to pay for it herself. I said to Kat that, if she wanted to, I could probably make the dream come true a bit sooner than planned. I also posited another idea at the time, which Kat seemed equally as enthusiastic about, which she amply demonstrated when we were alone.

Part one of the plan was for Mandy’s birthday, though, and was fairly easy to arrange. July 15 fell on a Monday, so I was invited round to Kat’s for Sunday lunch. There was one week of the summer term left, so Mandy was naturally looking forward to the double event. I left it to Kat to break the news while we were relaxing after the meal:

“I know it’s not your birthday until tomorrow, Love, but Steve and I thought you’d like your present now.” She handed her daughter what was obviously a large card in an envelope; the only thing that made it different, was that it was a little heavier than expected. Mandy looked quizzically at her mother first, then me. Opening the envelope she took out the expected card, but as she did so, two smaller envelopes one bulkier than the other, fell out. She gave us another look.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.