Seasonal Daughters, Book 2 - Cover

Seasonal Daughters, Book 2

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 16

I arrived home to a quiet house. March was quiet but happy. Nancy was subdued. Laura wasn't happy. I came into the living room, loosened my tie, and said, "How was everyone's days?"

'Laura said, "Paul, you know about the situation at the license bureau?"

"Yes, dear. I wound up down there helping deal with it. Nancy and Mark were always in line and appropriate in their dealings. One of the clerk's employees was out of line including violating the policy in a number of ways. Jim Mason, the clerk, said that she will probably be terminated over her latest violation of policy."

"That's not the story passed around the school. I was placed in a very uncomfortable position this afternoon."

"Laura, tell me what you heard. I was there and saw it. I even had some involvement."

"I was told that March was causing a serious disturbance resulting in the police being called to quell the riot."

"Laura, does that sound like our son or like Nancy?"

"No. However, a couple of teachers were quite sure about their versions."

"Did you talk to March about what happened?"

"I explained that I was embarrassed by the gossip going around."

"Would you like the real story?" She nodded.

"Honey, this is going to take people getting used to the situation. People have enough issues with an older man with a younger woman. The reverse is even more surprising. It brings out the worst in some people.

"First, the entire situation occurred because one assistant who was not a license issuer did not like the idea of Nancy and March being together because of March's age. She called the police and Children's Services. I came in to find them in the middle of the work area trying to figure out what was going on.

"I started with the Children's Services representative. I asked if she had seen March's court order. She admitted that she had. She thought it authentic. She decided there was no minor present and left. There was no disturbance nor an adult molesting a minor and the two police officers left quickly. The lady in the clerk's office wasn't even the one to deal with the license nor was she a supervisor in the office. She has been embroiled in issues of overstepping her bounds before and Jim Mason, the clerk, said that she will probably be terminated this time. That ended everything and the license was issued.

"March, with regard to your mother's school, I suggest you and Nancy make time to go by the school tomorrow and, with your mother, approach the gossiper with the truth. Get her name. If she doesn't want to back off, advise her that she has slandered you and has injured you. Tell her to expect a lawsuit with regard to the situation and that, to win, she will have to prove the truth of her allegations. Tell her that you will see her in court and leave. Call me. I will send her the appropriate certified letter before the end of day."

"Paul, can't I talk to her first?"

"Yes, dear. However, she needs to learn and understand the gravity of passing gossip. You might tell her that I am a lawyer and that your son and his fiancé are on their way to get an apology from her. If she's telling you, she is telling others. This has to be nipped in the bud and harshly will be the quickest. Having to apologize for false tales gets a person's attention like nothing else."

I paused. "On a better subject, I had lunch with Pastor Everett. He wants to meet with you two. I would suggest that you set it up as soon as possible. This marriage needs to move forward to stop the foolishness from those who don't know."

March looked at me and nodded. Laura wasn't satisfied yet. "Paul, you are taking this more seriously than I would have thought."

"Laura, stopping gossip is necessary. It also could injure others including you even if that's not intended.

"It will come up at faculty meetings more than once unless those who are spreading the rumors are challenged quickly, firmly, and almost harshly. You will also be told that the gossiper would 'rather not say' who told them. Tell them that they will be the defendant in the lawsuit then and will need their unknown co-conspirator to verify the truthfulness of the allegations to avoid having to pay damages.

"Honey, I know that you want to be nice. So do I. However, I won't tolerate lies about my family. My experience in stopping rumors is to challenge the one spreading the rumor."

She nodded and then grinned. "There is a faculty meeting at ten tomorrow morning, Nancy, March, you are invited as my guests. I want to brag on my son and his fiancé."

March said, "All right, Mom!"

Nancy said, "I am proud of my fiancé and don't mind being shown off with him.

"Missus Laura, you know that March is the star of our show?"

"I had expected that you would think that might be true. However, Nancy, you are beautiful and smart or you wouldn't have managed to hold March's interest much less capture his love. Be proud of him but be proud of yourself, too."

We ordered pizza to be delivered since no one had thought to cook. Pizza and beer still worked. March had one though Nancy did not, choosing lemonade instead.

Laura asked her about her choice. Nancy said, "I really don't care for the taste of beer. Wine is okay but I'm really a teetotaler. As you know, my experience with liquor wasn't good."

Later in our bedroom, Laura said, "That's as close to being reprimanded by you that I have ever been, Paul."

"Laura, I'm sorry it came out that way."

"Actually, it's okay. I finally nailed down my thinking and I'm on board with their marriage." She kissed me and snuggled into my arms. We slept that way through the night.

In the morning, she showered with me and had a glint in her eye. I said nothing but thought it would be interesting to hear about her day this evening. We went to work seen off by our son and his fiancé.

Laura called and told me to pick up Chinese. She told me that she had already phoned in the order. She sounded happy. I went by and picked up the order. When I arrived home, she was in the kitchen waiting. She was wearing one of my favorite casual outfits for home. It was one of my old shirts and tiny short shorts. I liked that outfit for three reasons. One was that she looked incredibly sexy dressed that way. Second, it meant she was in a good mood. Third, it meant that I going to be "lucky" later that evening.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.