Starting Back When - Cover

Starting Back When

Copyright© 2014 by LittleSully

Chapter 13

Laden as we were, the going was slow. Diannock frequently had to stop to rest or shift his end of the log from shoulder to shoulder. He complained excessively about having to carry the log. I didn't have any trouble with the weight. Jannock was not amused.

When we stopped a fourth time for Diannock to rest, Jannock said, "Maybe we should let Selma carry your load. You have the lightest load and are stopping and complaining constantly.'

"The load is heavy," said Diannock.

"Frank is carrying at least double the load of what Hannock and I carry and three times the load you carry. He hasn't complained or asked for a break and I doubt he would. Keep up or you will not be invited to hunt with me again."

I saw an angry look pass across Diannock's face. I got the feeling that he was trying to get on Jannock's nerves. I didn't understand why at the time though. When he saw that I noticed his facial expression, his expression went blank. Selma saw the exchange. What is going on? Diannock picked up his end of the log and soon we were on the path back to the camp again. Jannock and Hannock were ahead of Diannock and me by 50 or 60 yards.

When we were half of a mile from the river village, I felt Diannoc suddenly push hard against the log. I thought he had tripped on something. His action caused me to stumble. I was pretty heavily encumbered with the huge skin and half the weight of the log. The force of the push added to the stumble caused me to begin to tilt forward. As I was falling, I put my hands out in front of me to break my fall and felt excruciating pain in my back. I heard a scream and turned around.

I saw Selma had skewered Diannock with the spear I had given her. His eyes were wide and staring down at the tip of the spear jutting out from his chest. Worse for me was that Diannock's antler handled flint knife was buried three inches into my back just above my right kidney. He had pushed the load on purpose so he could ambush me. I felt like a fool for trusting him. It hurt like hell.

Selma said to me, "He stabbed you. He was trying to kill you Frank. I wasn't fast enough to stop him. He has been giving looks that made me uncomfortable since I came down from the tree. I think he wanted to mate me."

I pulled the sharp flint blade out of my back and sat down wiling myself to heal. My alien enhancements kicked in with a vengeance. The blood stopped flowing quickly and the wound started to mend itself soon after. Thanks again Andso.

Jannock and Hannock came rushing back to us with their spears in hand. They exchanged a look between them that said they knew what had happened. Jannock got a furious look on his face and I wondered if I would have to kill him and his brother. I crossed my arms with my fingers gripping the handles of the throwing knives in their arm bands just in case. Why did so many people want to kill me?

I made eye contact with Jannock and stood with the bloody flint knife in my hand. "He forced me to stumble and stabbed me in the back," I said to him. "Selma probably saved my life."

Selma blushed prettily. "I already have one dead mate, I do not want another," she said.

Hannock gasped, "You are not bleeding and the wound looks like a scratch. I can see that at least half of the blade is covered in blood. How is this possible?"

I just shrugged and said, "I heal fast," refusing to elaborate.

Jannick said, "I warned him against attacking you. He was jealous because Dawn is your mate. He has lusted after her for years and she always rebuffed him. She saw him as a friend only but he always wanted more. I think he wanted Selma for himself too. He was a good hunter and a fierce friend but not such a good man."

Hannock said, "To help you understand better we should tell you that Dawn is our sister. Diannock, Jannock, Dawn and I all grew up together. As soon as Dawn was old enough to mate, he asked her to be his. She told him that she only saw him as a friend and he became angry. Diannock always had darkness in him and could be cruel to others at times. I suspect his darkness is why Dawn rejected his advances more than anything else. She is very perceptive."

"Dawn has told us much of how you live and what you can do. Diannock didn't believe her. We did. Our sister does not lie. This is part of the reason why we sought you out to learn to make a bow. Her stories are wondrous. Did you really leap on the back of a Horned Terror?" asked Jannock.

"Did you really build a wooden cave?" asked Hannock.

"When we get back to the village, why don't you pack up some clothes, food and whatever else you will need and come to my camp for a visit?" I asked.

"We would love to see your camp," said Jannock. "Will the wolves allow us to visit? Others have tried and were scared off by them. Nobody was killed but the wolves defended their territory and the people trying to get a look at your place fled."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.