Castaway - Cover

Castaway

Copyright© 2015 by Colin Barrett

Chapter 25

Of all the questions I'd thought she might ask, that one was the most unexpected. And the most disturbing. I simply turned and gaped at her.

"Nick, cats are carnivores," she explained. "Their little tum-tums can't handle anything else. Certainly not uncooked greens. And there's something about him ... he won't let me get close, but that's no cat. Is it?"

Oh, hell's bells, what to tell her? I couldn't suddenly transform him into a dog, not after he'd been busy being so catlike since she'd arrived.

Then an idea jumped into my head as I vaguely remembered a TV documentary series I'd watched a while back. "He's a ... a meerkat," I lied glibly. "They're not actually related to cats, just the name, they're kind of an African cousin to a mongoose. But it's easier to just call him a cat, you know, the name and all..."

My explanation died on my lips; she was giving me a very hard look indeed now. "Pull the other one, will you?" she said. "I saw that TV thing, too, it's what made you think of it, isn't it? Why don't you just tell me straight. Is it illegal or something?" Possessing certain types of animals was against the law in many places.

Shit. Asmedogh had hopped down from the couch and was on his way to the laundry room. I knew where he'd go from there, and what he'd do, and from his perspective he was right. There was no way at all I'd be able to pass him off as some exotic Earthly species, even my own limited naturalist knowledge had ruled that out.

But there was still one possibility. "Wait, Asmedogh," I called. "I'm going to have to tell her anyway, why not stay long enough to give her a chance to accept you?"

Camilla's expression was something to behold; she was staring at me as if I'd suddenly gone crazy, and to her it must have seemed that way or something close. Then her attention turned back to Asmedogh, who'd paused and turned back at my call.

For nearly a full minute her eyes went back and forth between Asmedogh and me, taking us both in by turns. Suddenly he was looking very un-catlike indeed. Finally she settled on me

"Nick, it's all right," she said, watching me closely. "You don't have to tell me, I'm sorry I asked. Look, why don't I just ... leave, and you can..." And she was actually edging toward the front door.

She is very afraid for herself. The thought appeared strongly in my mind, and I knew it came from Asmedogh. He was right, of course; the evening had just turned thoroughly weird for her, and she was frightened where it might go.

"Camilla, there's no danger here," I said as gently as I could manage. I knew Asmedogh was helping calm her in his own way, too. "He won't hurt you. And neither will I, I couldn't. Please stay and listen, you're as safe as you have been since you got here, completely safe."

She still looked dubious, but between my words and Asmedogh's projection she'd at least stopped moving.

"I'm going to get us each a glass of wine, and then I'll tell you all about it," I said, still soothingly. "You'll be amazed. But a good kind of amazed, nothing at all bad."

Deliberately I turned my back on her to go back to the kitchen, and I took my time about opening the wine and pouring it. If she was going to bolt she'd see that this was the moment for it. But I hoped she'd realize that I'd see the same thing and it would help take away some of the fear. I was counting on Asmedogh to help with that, too.

She was considerably calmer when I emerged carrying two filled glasses, and she didn't flinch when I approached to hand her one. Asmedogh hadn't moved, and stayed where he was as I guided her to the couch and we sat down.

"He's going to come over here now, Camilla," I told her, still speaking in a soft tone. "He's completely harmless, and he'll get up on my shoulder, which is where he likes to ride. OK?"

We both waited for her response. After a hesitation she gave a jerky nod, and he walked slowly over. But he did it on two legs, and made sure she got a good look at him. As he reached my shoulder his tail curled into its customary position around my throat.

She took in the whole thing with very wide eyes. Finally, as he settled down, she turned her gaze to me. "This is going to be one hell of a story, isn't it, Nick?"

I gave her a grin and nodded. "Yes, it is," I said. "But it's not really my story to tell. You see how he's got his tail around my neck?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.