Billy Beckwith's Rebellion - Cover

Billy Beckwith's Rebellion

Copyright© 2014 by Bill Offutt

Chapter 5

Billy went out into the cold as a couple of farmers came in. Stud explained what was going on to them as people moved around, and the Foster women took up a sheltered position in the high-backed settle near the fire. The cat joined them, purring, and perched on the girl's lap, paws folded inward. Didn't anybody look like they was going to cause trouble so after a bit I asked Annie if she was interested in a quick one while we waited, and she elbowed me in the ribs hard enough to crack one and snarled, "Hell, no. This's the most interesting thing ever happened here. You want me to miss it so you can have some fun. Go out back and find yourself a goat." That kind of cooled me off, and I went over to listen to Ned talk to his counselor, if that's what you call him. I asked if they minded, and Wainright waved me to sit down so I found a stool.

"Did you hit him more than once," Wainright asked Ned who shook his head. "Did you have anything in your hand at the time?"

"No," Ned answered. "I just lost my temper, and I'm sorry I hit him. Sorry I knocked a tooth out."

Wainright paused and rubbed his chin and then raised a forefinger. "That's an important thought. Be sure you say that when you get a chance. Motive may be the key here. You'll want the jury to know that you were angry and that you did not mean or plan to harm a King's officer. Have you been in fights before?"

"A few," Ned admitted, and he winked at me. "But none since the Revolution. This wasn't a fight, really. I just hit him."

"Mr. Gally," Wainright said to me, "would you be so kind as to fetch Mrs. Foster over here so I can talk to her. Just the mother now, not the daughter."

I went and got her, and then Ned and me sat at the bar and took in a tepid beer or two while Wainright talked to her. She sat there staring at him and answering his questions, wringing a handkerchief and fingering this silver thing clipped to the front of her bodice. She had so much dress sticking out in the back it would'a been hard for her to sit on a chair, but most of what we had was stools and benches. When he dismissed her, he gestured for Ned to return to the table. I went with him since I wasn't told not to.

"Mrs. Foster says that her husband has threatened you from time to time," Wainright told him.

"I didn't take it serious," Ned answered, "but I guess he did. Mostly Tory jabber. Told me he'd sic the dog on me, have me charged with trespassing, bring the militia down on me, that sort of thing. He drinks some. Puts a bottle of plonk away at his supper."

"Hm," Wainright pondered, pursing his mouth. "That might help. Did he ever hit you or threaten to strike you?"

"No, not till this last time when he was pushing me out the front door after we'd had some words. He hit me in the back a time or two before I turned and walloped him."

"Sounds like self defense to me," I said and grinned at both of them.

"Just so," Wainright said, giving me a frown. "Go get Nelly Foster please." I did and Ned and I had another tankard and smoked a pipe while they talked after I visited the old privy. The cat stalked off, tail high and stiff after losing the girl's lap. Meanwhile over by the big fireplace Lt. Morrison and Mr. Foster had their heads together, and they were getting on like thieves, slapping each other on the back and toasting each other with some of Stud's red wine. Dusty bottle, must have been from when the place was Hungerford's, ten years before. Nobody around here would drink it less'n the cow died and the well went dry.

About mid afternoon, Alexander Beall got back, and we all gathered around to hear his news. He wrestled out of his heavy clothes and had a tot of rum and asked Stud to fix him one of them mulled ales with the poker to warm him up, a "flip" he called it. I liked the smell of them but not the taste. Beckwith hadn't slept long I guess, and he came in right behind Mr. Beall.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.