Would It Make You Happy?
Chapter 1

Copyright© 2014 by mcguy101

Vanessa got out of line and sat down at a table in the back corner of the shop. She hated her job and was going to spend every possible second of her break enjoying her latte. She cursed herself for not taking the job for the financial services company. Instead, she took an entry level job working at a fashion magazine catering to African American women. She gambled that her brief, teen career as a model would have opened the door for her there. Unfortunately, the bosom that blossomed in her late teens seemed to prevent her from being anything other than a gopher or a walking piece of eye candy for sponsors and investors. Therefore, she was frequently sexually harassed by married male (and occasionally female) executives. As somewhat of a sexual agnostic (bordering on lesbian, but not entirely sure), she resented this type of treatment. Her parents were devout Baptists and had worried that her choice of career would lead her astray. "Basically, I hate my life," she thought ruefully.

Her attention was drawn to an approaching man. He was white, well dressed in a conservative suit. His sandy blond hair framed a not significantly attractive face, but he had deep, blue eyes that seemed to draw her attention. He stood roughly her height. While not particularly toned, he seemed in reasonable shape for a man his age, which Vanessa reckoned was in his early thirties. When she realized he was heading her way, she moaned under her breath, "Why can't people just leave me alone?"

"Hi, my name is Tom. Would you mind if I joined you for a few minutes?" he asked, in a pleasant voice.

"I suppose, but I'm about to head back to work," she lied.

"I only need a few moments of your time. Unless, you decide to stay longer," he smiled disarmingly.

"Like that will happen," she thought. Instead, she muttered her affirmation.

"I was wondering what you think of me?"

"You seem harmless enough," she grinned evilly, attempting to put him in his place.

The man laughed and clutched his chest. "You wound me, Milady," His self-deprecating laugh brought on a laugh of her own. "Seriously, I'm not gruesome or anything?"

"I suppose not, though you are older than someone I would regularly date and to be honest, I don't tend to date white guys."

"Or any guys for that matter," she thought before verbally adding, "Especially married ones," she said, observing a gold band on his finger.

"My wife died some years ago," he said.

Normally this kind of remark would have made Vanessa suspicious within the context of their meeting; however, she decided that she would play it safe and respond with kindness. "I'm sorry to hear that."

"It was a long time ago."

"Yet you still wear your wedding band."

"In some ways, part of my wife is still with me."

Vanessa sadly smiled back. Having been young and unconcerned about forming any romantic entanglements; let alone serious relationships, she had no real point of reference, other than her parents. They were rapidly approaching their fortieth anniversary. Being the second youngest of six children, she got to see them age; yet dote on each other from a close up perspective. She could not imagine one without the other and believed that neither of them would either.

"I can see how that could be true," she said.

He smiled at her in a way that went to her very heart. It seemed to take ten years off of him. "Thank you. You truly are a beautiful woman in every sense of the word."

"So that's his game, the ol' sweet talker," she thought, as her look darkened. "Well, I must really be going..."

"Do you know what would make me happy?" he interrupted and then her entire perspective changed.

"No. What would make you happy?" she asked, suddenly really wanting to know what would make him happy.

"If you could spend some more time with me."

Vanessa felt her face break out in a smile. "Of course. I'd be happy to spend some more time with you."

The man broke into a sad smile. He was not sure about this one, but he really wanted her to be the one. Perhaps he was reaching too high. "No guts..." he thought to himself. He then became more animated. "That's wonderful. I seem to really enjoy your company. Do you enjoy mine?

"Would it make you happy for me to enjoy your company?" she asked.

"Only if you want to," he said, holding his breath.

Vanessa thought. Did she really like being with this man? Of course it was important to do what she could to make him happy, but did she honestly like his company? She guessed that perhaps she did. "You seem like a nice enough man and pleasant."

"So can I take that as a yes?"

"Would it make you happy if it were a 'yes'?" she asked.

The man groaned. This was going to be hard and he had to be careful. "Only if you really feel that way."

Vanessa thought again. This man seemed to be quite pleasant. She had felt a bit sorry for him about his wife, until she thought he might be coming on to her. Then she realized how important his wants were. If his wishes were important to her than he must be a special person, she reasoned. "I guess I like your company."

The man smiled and reinforced her choice. "That makes me quite happy."

Vanessa smiled brightly at his words. She had made him quite happy and her heart fluttered at his words. "I'm glad. You must be a special man and I'd be happy to spend some time with you," she beamed.

"Good. It makes me happy to think I am special to you. As I said, I think you are a beautiful woman, but more importantly, you're a beautiful person."

Vanessa felt a flush come over her. At work, she was treated like a piece of meat instead of the bright, young lady she was. It appeared that this man appreciated her for more than just her looks. This touched her heart in a surprising way. "That is the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me."

"People are often unable to look beyond physical beauty to see real beauty. When you're blessed with both as you are, that becomes your curse," he smiled sympathetically, before adding. "Would you like to take a walk?"

"Would it make you happy to take a walk?"

"Would it make you happy?"

Vanessa thought again. This man was not only exceptional and enjoyable company, but he was quite kind and intuitive. For the first time in a while, she believed that someone finally understood her. She might catch hell for being late back to her desk, but a short walk with someone who made her feel so good about herself seemed like something that would make her happy. "I think it would," she smiled.

"That really makes me happy," he smiled and she felt giddy.

"By the way, my name is Vanessa."

"I'm happy to know you," he said and her smile somehow got wider.


"I think I really need to get back to work," she said with a sad smile, after a short walk around the park across the street."

"That's too bad," he said, making her feel a little sad. "Still, I don't want to get you in trouble."

"I'm not too late."

"Well, that's good. Still, I hope that we can spend some more time together. Would you like to give me your phone number?"

"Would it make you happy if I gave you my phone number?"

"Would it make you happy?" he asked somberly.

As a rule Vanessa never gave out her phone number to men she would meet. Still, this was no ordinary man. She was actually feeling quite good about herself and believed that it was in no small part due to this kind and sensitive man she had just met. Of course, if it had made him happy to have her phone number, she would have offered it without objection. Still, he had given her the choice. "Sure Tom. I think I would like you to have my phone number very much. Give me your phone and I'll enter all my numbers in," she smiled.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.