Seasonal Daughters
Chapter 14

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

It was Sunday and started off well with a great Sunday school lesson and a great sermon. As we left and spoke to Pastor George, Laura said, "I was reading that passage two days ago during my lunch break. Your words now give it so much more meaning. Thank you, Pastor George." She gave him a quick hug. George just beamed. She was taller than he. With heels, he got a face full of chest.

We talked to a few other people before we climbed into the car to drive to Jen's mother's house. I noticed that April had been walking with Tommy. Laura looked at them and smiled. "She has had her eyes on him for some time but she felt she had to heal you first. She thinks you're healed. Paul, I think I am, too." I kissed her lips before she stepped in.

Tommy helped April into the car as I helped May. I heard him say, "I'll see you tomorrow at school, April." She smiled up at him.

I pulled out of the parking lot headed for Mother Munroe's house on the other side of town. Privately, I was a little worried. I had learned to love Jen's mother over our marriage. She was always available to help but was never pushy. She loved her granddaughters as much as anyone but Jen had been her only child. This could be a disaster so I drove and prayed and then prayed and drove. I pulled onto her street and felt a warm, gentle hand on my left shoulder. I looked but there was nothing there. The hand still felt warm and comfortable. I didn't understand but calmed inwardly to go with the outer calm I was trying to portray.

I made the left hand turn into her driveway and pulled up behind Mother Munroe's car. It was Jen's old car that I had given her when her old car had quit running. I traded with her and then had hers hauled off for junk. It was that bad. I stopped and looked around to see three female heads bowed. I gave God one last plea to make this work for everyone. I turned off the motor and climbed out, starting the process of unloading daughters and then Laura. Laura had my hand in a death grip. April had her other hand and May was squeezing my other hand. I was worried and in pain, too!

We walked to the front door and May rang the bell. Mother Munroe opened the door smiling. May cried out, "Grandma!"

"May, April, Paul!" She looked at Laura and smiled. "You have to be Laura. Welcome to my home!" My girls rushed to her and hugged her. I noticed that May was almost her height and April was taller.

"Mother Munroe, it's good to see you. You're right, of course. This is Laura Watson, my fiancée."

Laura was quaking but came to her and said, "Thank you for having me here, Missus..."

That was all she got out before Mother Munroe enveloped her in a hug holding her tightly. I could hear her whisper, "I'm so glad you came into Paul's life. He needed someone more than he knew. You're lovely." She released Laura a little and said, "Come in and let's get to know each other." She didn't release Laura but pulled both of us into the living room of her small house.

She pulled Laura to the middle of her sofa and sat beside her. I sat on Laura's other side. She said, "Laura, I'm sure this is terrifying. Be at ease. My granddaughters have told me much about you and, most importantly, how much you and they love each other as well as how much you and Paul love each other. If my daughter can't be here to watch her girls grow into ladies, I can't think of anyone better than you to do the job.

"Now, breathe dear. It really will be okay." Laura released her breath and then sobbed. Mother Munroe pulled her gently into her arms and they cried together. Mother looked over my shoulder smiled and gently waved me away. I gently rose and went to find my daughters.

They were in the backyard talking quietly. May saw me and said, "Daddy, will it be good?"

I smiled and nodded. "It will be good. It might even be better than that." We sat at the picnic table for perhaps a half hour before Laura opened the back door and called us inside for lunch.

She hugged me as she smiled. We all sat down at the table and Laura said, "Before I pray to bless our continued time together. Mom and I want to announce that we have adopted each other and she will be seated as mother of the bride at our wedding, Paul, unless you object."

"Not at all, Darling. I had prepared a slightly different idea but my volunteers will gladly approve this modification." All four females looked at me with varying degrees of anxiety. May had the least surprised look on her face. I thought she might have overheard my talk earlier.

I continued. "I knew that Laura would not have parents to present her and talked to Ralph and Marijane this morning. Marijane will be seated and then, Mother Munroe, you will be seated as mother of the bride. Ralph said that he would be honored to walk you down the aisle if you are agreeable. I think we can make this work." I grinned. I got jumped again. The chair held but did creak.

Mother Munroe said, "Those chairs are a little old for two, dear."

"Yes, Mom. It's just that he deserves it." She kissed me hard and returned to her chair.

"It's fun to see my 'daughter' enjoy her upcoming marriage and its surprises so much." She grinned. "I'll even help you maintain the fiction of separate bedrooms over that weekend."

My eyes widened. Mother Munroe continued, "I believe my daughter when she said it's been innocent but the world would look at you two and never buy it."

I was looking at the two of them in surprise. Even May had a surprised look. Then she said, "They can close the door after Saturday of the wedding."

I smiled. "We won't be there. We're flying down to Key West Saturday evening to stay at The Reach in our own suite. We return Tuesday afternoon. I've been granted use of the company's Gulfstream for the trip." I was braced for the attack which came quickly.

"You terrible, wonderful man! When were you going to tell me?"

"I thought I would let you know in time to pack something." I had stood up by now and was bracing again.

"Girls! Tickle attack! Show no mercy!" After a while, I was allowed up to eat my lunch after Laura had prayed to bless it and us. It was a fun meal. We were all happy when we pulled out for home with school and work in the morning.

That evening, we had a light supper and went to bed early with Laura opening and closing the spare bedroom door as we went by. Once we had changed, I opened the door to our bedroom and got in bed. Though we had already kissed April and May "good night" for the evening, they came to our bed and climbed in with us.

May said, "Daddy, last summer when we read the 'Out of the Silent Planet' trilogy, there was a part in the first book about holding on to a good and not being open to further good things and people that God could bring to us?"

"Yes, Merry Month. I remember that part."

"That's what our first Mommy was teaching us before she left. We have to allow our hearts to be open to bring others in and love them or even the good love we have will turn cold and gray."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.