Seasonal Daughters - Cover

Seasonal Daughters

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 5

I drove home and went to bed. Sleeping wasn't immediate as I thought about Laura and Jenny. I did sleep, eventually.

In the morning, the girls came bouncing in with coffee and questions. April's first question was, "Did you kiss her?"

"Kiss who?"

"Dad, that's not funny."

"We kissed very lightly. I have had more passionate kisses from you two. It was appropriate under the circumstances."

May said, "I like her. I think you should bring her around more often."

"May, we've seen her three times in three days. That's pretty often. Maybe she needs a rest from us. She said she had a prior commitment tonight."

May said, "What's she doing?"

"I don't know and it's none of my business nor is it yours. Now, you two have to get ready for school and I have to go to work. Let's get moving." They left the bedroom and I went through my normal morning routine. I realized that I needed to run soon. I came downstairs to see both girls having breakfast. I popped a frozen waffle into the toaster and freshened my coffee. Are you both ready for school?"

April said, "Yes, Dad. I want to hear what Miz Watson has to say in between classes."

"April, don't be disappointed if she says nothing. You're one of her students and teachers must walk carefully to avoid trouble. I'm not sure what the school's position on a teacher dating the parent of one of her students might be."

"Dad, that's not reasonable."

"Reasonable or not, it may be an issue. Don't cause her any trouble. She's a nice lady and doesn't need trouble from something innocent."

"Yes, Dad." Her voice had that put upon sound to it. However, I knew she would be thoughtful about saying anything to Laura and particularly to her friends.

I went on to work and thought nothing further about it. My day was quiet and I worked steadily on a contract for a new building at one of our plants.

I came home to April who was quiet. "Hello, April. How was school?"

"It was good, Dad. Miz Watson said that she enjoyed last night and should be home by nine this evening. Why did she tell me that?"

"I think she was hoping you would tell me so I would know when to call her."

"Oh!" She smiled. "I think she likes you."

"I like her, too. However, don't push. There's no hurry and plenty of things could get in the way. We don't want things to get intense too quickly. If we are supposed to go further toward a relationship, it will happen in time. I don't want us to create a situation that she wouldn't like."

April smiled. "Okay, Dad. I still like her. She's a good teacher."

I smiled back at her. "What do we need to do about supper tonight?"

"Let's have spaghetti tonight. I have hamburger in the fridge defrosted. I had you pick up some sauce in a bottle on Saturday. We can brown the hamburger and add sauce and let it simmer for a while. I can do that. Would you make a salad?"

"Sure honey. We worked steadily. I put the salad in the fridge to keep it cool. I went upstairs to change clothes while the sauce simmered. We ate and talked of various things though didn't reach the subject of Laura again. I was in my study and called her ten or so minutes after nine.

"Hello, Laura. It's Paul Sanderson. How are you this evening?"

"Hi, Paul. It's good to hear you. I'm tired but Tuesdays are my long day. How was your day?"

"It was good. We are expanding a plant and I have to draw up the bid document including the contract. We get closer to what we want but it means more work for me because I have to draw a document for another lawyer to pick apart. If I leave something out, it can really be a problem later even if I catch it. It's a multi-million dollar expansion so it needs to be right.

"I have done it before but every one of these is a little different. I sent a draft off to the plant manager to review with some detailed questions when I left. Tomorrow will be easier. I'll be waiting and can use the time to catch up on other things."

"Paul, I have to admit your job sounds interesting."

"It has its moments. When my boss retires, I will probably take his place. Then, I will have to travel more. I don't look forward to that but will be more involved with company policy and operations. It would be a mixed blessing.

"Right now, I enjoy it and don't worry about what might happen in the future. I like being home for my seasonal daughters."

Laura laughed happily. It was an old joke that now merited no more than an eye roll from my daughters. She said, "I'm looking forward to Friday, both the company and what we will be doing."

"I'm anticipating it, too. Would you have dinner with us tomorrow night? It's pizza night. I pick up pizza on the way home and we just eat ourselves into a stupor." I chuckled.

"Are your daughters going to ply me with alcohol?"

"Only to the extent that you permit them. We also offer soft drinks, tea, and lemonade. What's your favorite ice cream?"

"How can you eat ice cream after gorging on pizza?"

"Easily. It just slides down to fill in any empty spaces."

She was laughing. "Okay, no anchovies for me and mint chocolate chip. When do you want me?"

The mood was light. I chuckled and said softly, "Would now be too soon?"

She laughed some more. "Nice try, Paul. Not yet."

"Great! There's hope then." We laughed for a while.

Laura said, "I'm going to get off the phone before you do talk me into something we shouldn't do. Good night, Paul. Seriously, what time tomorrow?"

"You can come straight from school or I will be glad to pick you up on my way home."

"Pick me up. I don't want your daughters to have enough time to give me a total third degree while waiting for you to arrive."

I chuckled. "Fine. I'll come by at six fifteen tomorrow evening. I'll see you then."

"Good night, Paul."

"Good night, Laura."

The girls came running in. May said, "When is she coming? She could come by tonight!"

I said, "I will pick her tomorrow. She is joining us for pizza night. She likes mint chocolate chip ice cream just like you do."

April said, "Did she tell you what she was doing tonight?"

"No. It's none of my business. It isn't any of yours either. Don't ask her. If she wants to tell us, she will. Neither of you is to pry."

April said, "Yes, sir."

I had to stare at May before she joined her sister in saying, "Yes, sir."

I said, "I want to remind you two that she is a nice lady who is just getting to know us. I think she likes us but prying into her life is not the way to win her heart."

May said, "Okay, Daddy." I thought to myself, why did I use the term, "win her heart?" I realized that I did want to know her better. She seemed to like my daughters, too. That was not an incidental issue!

We went to bed and then off to school and work the next morning. I left the office having ordered the pizzas. I picked up the pizzas and the ice cream before stopping at Laura's house. She was outside to meet me before I could get out of the car to even open the door for her. It was a warm spring evening and she was wearing shorts and a short sleeved top. She jumped into the passenger side and said, "Hi, Paul." She leaned over and gave me a quick kiss on my cheek. She quickly leaned back and buckled her seatbelt and I drove the rest of the way home. I carried the pizzas and she carried the ice cream into the kitchen. April came to her and took the sack and pulled the ice cream from it and put the cartons in the freezer.

May hugged Laura and said, "We're glad you're here, Miz Laura."

"I'm glad your dad invited me, May. It's good to see you." She stepped over to April and gave her a hug. 'I'm glad to see you, too, April. Other than my class, I hope school was good."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.