Seasonal Daughters
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

I arrived home and we spent the time cooking and then eating. We talked about our days. I told April about my visit with "Miz" Watson. I told her to be cautious about expressing her Christian views. She responded, "Dad, I will not set my belief aside for anyone. She is a lonely woman. I am trying to get her to come to church. I will stay my course."

"Okay, April. I think you will have to be patient on that issue. She does seem to want to be fair though."

May said, "Dad, it just means that the person needs Jesus that much more. We have to live a life that is so appealing to others that they want to find out why life works so well for us." I was a little startled. May was young for such deep thoughts. I knew that she was smart and her mother had pushed her in her studies as much as she had April. I realized that I needed to keep that positive pressure going. It really hadn't been necessary in the last year or so.

After supper and cleanup, we watched some television before going to bed. We finished out the week without any drama. On Saturday, my daughters wanted to talk to me over breakfast.

April started. "Dad, it's been over a year and a half. May and I think it's time you quit wearing your wedding ring. We know it's a big step for you but it's time to take it."

May said, "It doesn't mean you love mom less. It means you love her enough to listen to her wishes for you even if you have to hear them through us."

April said, "Please, Dad. Put it in the box. We love you and don't want you to be alone."

I said, "Girls. Maybe it should be ladies since you're getting to be so mature. If you really want me to, I will put it away. I guess I have been wearing it to keep from having women hit on me."

April grinned, "You will have to just have to tough it out."

May chimed in. "Dad, you are hot. There are lots of women who would be happy to hit on you."

"May, I'm not sure I want to know how you think I'm hot. Okay, ladies, I will do it."

"Dad, we will always be your girls." April said.

"Daddy, I don't want to be a lady to you yet." May told me.

"Okay, 'girls.' I will go upstairs now and put my ring in the box." I did but tears came to my eyes as I walked downstairs. Jen and I had picked those rings out together. I realized that my daughters were right though. I was using my ring as a buffer against women. I felt naked without it. They each hugged me tightly when I came downstairs. We went about our normal Saturday activities and went to Sunday school and church Sunday.

The next week flowed by in its normal way with nothing exciting or different happening. We were into spring and the world was budding out with green shoots everywhere.

It was Saturday again. We needed groceries and the girls wanted a few clothing items. We went shopping. First, for them and then we went to the grocery store. I still felt obvious without my ring. I asked May but she said, "They aren't looking at you any more or less than usual. You're just a hunk of a dad shopping with his daughters. Don't be self-conscious." She grinned and giggled.

The three of us were in the grocery store when we turned a corner into the next aisle to see Miz Watson shopping by herself. April said, "Hello, Miz Watson. This is my sister, May. You already know Dad."

She was surprised but recovered quickly. "Hello, April. May, it's good to meet you. Hello, Mister Sanderson."

"Good morning, Miz Watson. Please, call me Paul."

"Okay, Paul. In that case, I am Laura."

"Okay, Laura. It's good to see you again."

"Thank you. Your words challenged me."

"I'm sorry. That was not my intent."

"Oh, you weren't impolite but expressed your views firmly but gentlemanly."

"Perhaps you might consider coming to church as our guest."

"I might just consider that."

April said, "Please come. Sunday school starts at nine thirty with the church service following at eleven."

"What is Sunday school?"

I said, "Laura, have you ever been to a church before?"

"No. I haven't."

"Then, please join us. We separate into groups for Sunday school. My class is for adults with couples and singles as members. The girls each have their own classes separated by age. Then we all come together for the main service. If you'll join us, we will even take you to lunch."

"What should I wear?"

"Anything that you would wear to school would be quite acceptable. You could go fancier but it truly isn't necessary. Our church isn't that formal."

"How about slacks?"

"Sure. There will be women in both slacks and skirts."

"Okay, I'll do it. Where is your church? I will meet you there." I gave her the address and instructions on how to get there along with where to park. I thanked her for agreeing to come. I told her we were looking forward to seeing her there.

We parted ways. On the way home, May smirked, "Dad's got a date."

"I said, "No. She is your sister's teacher and she is merely meeting us for Sunday school and church. It's a challenge for her since she's never been. Keep that in mind tomorrow. I invited her to join us for lunch to be polite."

May said, "She's pretty."

I realized that my youngest wasn't going to let this go easily. I said, "May, you're right. She is an attractive woman. However, she is not a Christian and I wouldn't date except casually much less consider getting serious with someone who doesn't share that most basic value with me."

That did end the discussion. May liked to ride up front and usually did. April didn't care so that worked out well. We got home and unloaded the car and had sandwiches for lunch.

We worked out in the yard and then had supper. We studied our lessons for tomorrow and went to bed. In the morning, we had a normal breakfast.

On the way to church, I said, "Don't get your hopes up, girls. The odds are she will not show up. She doesn't really know us. Going to a new place can be a fearsome experience. She admitted she has never been to a church before. Understand that she will not know what to do and be helpful. Don't laugh at her for any reason. She will be embarrassed easily."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.