Beth's Arm - Cover

Beth's Arm

Copyright© 2014 by Bill Offutt

Chapter 20

On the first Saturday of December, Alexander Beall was again in Georgetown with a list from his wife and a lot of questions in his mind. He went directly to the constable's office and hitched his horse out front. The mare looked very disappointed and stamped her feet, blowing steam, tossing her head. Beall patted her neck and promised her oats.

"Ah, Mr. Beall from the outlying districts," said Wainright jovially, standing and offering his hand. "I have a pleasant surprise for you, a remarkable one indeed. Please take off your coat, have a seat and prepare to be astonished."

Beall sat and Wainright produced a folded and very official looking document. "Here you are in record time. Unheard of, a fortnight to New York and back with a proper response. I told you Loring was a good record keeper."

Beall unfolded the document and looked at the impressive seals it bore. It was obviously a printed, copperplate form that had been filled in by some office clerk. It stated that one James Brookes of Maryland, age 21, a lieutenant in the colonial forces then in rebellion, had been captured on Long Island on the 27th of August 1776 by men under the command of General De Hesiter and held for almost one year. He was paroled on a vow of good behavior on 1 August 1777 and provided transportation to Annapolis by way of a mail packet, an unnamed sloop of war, where he was released after having sworn true allegiance to his majesty, King George III, in the presence of one Major William Fox whose name was properly signed or copied below. Near the bottom someone had signed and sealed for Joshua Loring, and below that was another seal attesting this as a true copy of the original and that was dated just six days before.

"Imagine," said Wainright, "New York and back in two weeks. Sometimes takes that long just to get there; often takes twice that to get an answer to a request for information. Amazing, Beall, simply amazing. Now what does it mean?"

"It means, we need to ask the Swede if she knows James Brookes, at least that."

"And how would you suggest we accomplish that task?"

"Don't know. Could you arrest him on suspicion and bring him down here?"

"I don't think so although the governor might grant me such authority if I requested it. Suspicion of what?"

"Murder, of course. Multiple murder, four deaths, perhaps five."

"I'm afraid you've lost me there."

"This young man, who claims to have been a prisoner all during the war, but was not, may have killed three people in 1777, then disappeared for the rest of the war, and he may have murdered Mrs. Nolan, Betsy Miller that is, and Jonathan Sparks as well."

"My God, Beall, that is quite an indictment. A true leap of judgment from very scanty and disparate facts. I'm afraid unless you know more than you have told me, I could not bring him in or even ask for a warrant."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.