Life and Times of a Young Soldier
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2014 by Dreaded

Jipeeee – basics was over – damn it felt good ... One more step to being a soldier in what was to become, in my opinion, the worlds finest Para infantry Battalion – The Rhodesian Light Infantry ... The introduction of the parachute element to our Battalion was still a few years away anyway so that was still a pipe dream.

Commando training was great fun except for the classical warfare shit. Who wants to dig trenches in the rain and mud, sit with bloody heavy tin helmets and freeze ones arse off at the beginning of a Rhodesian winter ... Thankfully the lectures and the practical over the next few weeks out at Nkomo range were soon forgotten and a memory that I will not dwell on at all ... Even the Instructors hated this phase of training and to this day I still question as to why we had to do it. The old British hangover of "That's the way its always been done, chin up Lads", just does not sit well with me. It was utter bullshit...

Our real training started with our C.O.I.N. training. Now this was more like it. Clandestine patrols, Night ambushes, OP techniques, Bush craft, Advanced weapon training and things like Rock climbing. This is what I had joined the army for...

As an aside here we were trained mainly on the 7.62 NATO FN which then when updated became the R1. Advanced training was also given on the MAG, a light machine gun, the Browning auto shot gun and the Browning 9mm pistol ... A high proficiency was required and it was at this point that we reluctantly said goodbye to a few more friends that could not quite make the grade. We spent hours at the Rifle range and at bush camp doing jungle Lanes and live fire practice. To me the FN is probably the finest infantry weapon ever made and I was sorry to see its demise among the top world armies ... This is my opinion and may have tried to sell me on the new weaponry that is carried by todays army and I am afraid that I will never be converted...

Now comes to a really sad part of the story, remember that Cpl Instructor that I pissed off at the beginning of my recruit course, well he got me... 4 days before passing out he had me back Squaded ... This nearly destroyed me as I was really looking forward to passing out as a soldier ... It was not really that much of a loss of time as the next course were just starting their C.O.I.N. phase so I only lost 2 weeks but shit it hurt ... Sgt Titch my new course leader knew me well and didn't say a word to me and just put a friendly hand on my shoulder and led me around the corner of the front offices ... Sgt Titch was shorter than I was but built like a Brick Outhouse ... Man was he solid ... Another of those guys that didn't need a belt to hold his pants up anymore, he was a 4th Dan and was an evil little shit when it came to a fight...

Once out of sight of the rest of Tr Tp Sgt Titch informed me that I didn't have to go through all the bull shit again as he knew I was now qualified in my own right ... He quietly told me that until I passed out I was to be his personal assistant and if I let him down he would kick my arse so hard I would be wearing it as a smile ... So for the next 3 weeks I worked as an assistant to one of the best instructors I have ever met ... He was awesome and I thanked him for his guidance as he repeatedly and patiently showed me how to lead and be a good soldier ... I passed out with Sgt Titchs course 3 weeks behind my course but I was years richer in knowledge and wisdom...

Unfortunately I did not bond with any of the course that I passed out with mainly because Titch kept me separate. I was set up in a room at was to become Support Comando separate from the rest of training troop ... My quarters were inspected by Titch occasionally but he generally just visited with a couple of Beers (Lion) and we would chat ... I would stay in that room for the next 2 years until I was promoted to Sgt and had to move to the Sgt's Mess ... I a decent bed that I had acquired (sorry I lie, my Batman stole it from the Officers mess) with a nice stereo system with a quality B&O turn table and amp. Shit I could make the windows rattle...

And so ended Training Troop like a bit of a damp squib ... Now I was officially attached to Support Group (Sp Gp) as a Troopie and may career as a soldier had officially begun. I could now put my coveted silver Badge on my Beret and wear my Green and White stable belt with pride...

Next – a new beginning and off to war...

Note – (Google C.O.I.N. its interesting reading...

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.