Protection and Preservation, Book 09
Chapter 17

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

[Monica's story continues]

It's shockingly amazing what a storm in the night can do when you're in a small motor yacht by yourself. I was tired and wasn't really catching the warnings until it was too late. Too late for the Katherine B. I escaped with a life preserver and my emergency things. The Katherine B ran aground. I hit Spain. It is, after all, pretty big.

I beached the Katherine B, albeit unintentionally, on a beach in the resort town of Estepona on the east coast of Spain. I managed to wander out of the water and find shelter under an umbrella shack on the beach. I huddled there for the night while the storm wore itself out. I could see my ship lying beached a hundred feet from me. I levered my tired body up and went to her. The deck was slanted but I went in and prepared clothes and weapons planning to leave the pretty boat. I walked away reluctantly.

I reached the ground with my load and carried everything to the little shack that had given me shelter. I knew that I should get away because the wreck of my boat could draw scavengers. I didn't want to be someone's prize.

I hid most of my stuff and left with what I could easily carry. I had my pistol in its holster and my fanny pack. I felt those were the most important things to safeguard.

I set out walking trying to find a small inn off the beach that might give me shelter while I regrouped. I was lucky finding a place two blocks off the sea. I checked in chuckling to myself that I hoped I would never have to pay any of the bills particularly for wrecking the Katherine B. I issued a key card for the most expensive room, a suite and walked to it and entered. It had not been rented during the troubles just after the Day. I locked the door, bathed, and lay down on the bed and slept.

When I woke, it was late afternoon and I was hungry. I raided the mini-bar and found enough snacks there to provide a poor excuse for supper. I went back to sleep and slept the night through knowing I would feel better in the morning.

I was right. I woke refreshed but hungry. I put on my shorts, blouse, and sneakers and, with my pistol and fanny pack made my way out of the room and the hotel. Stepping out, I listened carefully for any sounds of people with or without motors. It was quiet. I walked back to the shore and looked around before going to the hut and retrieving the rest of my stuff.

I carried it back and put it in my room. I then went searching for food. There was a small restaurant half way between my hotel and the end of the block. I tried the door and it was unlocked. I pushed it open and went inside. "Hello," I called out. "Is anyone here?" I asked that in English and Italian. Though it was similar to Italian, I didn't speak Spanish. Silence was all I heard as a response.

I didn't turn on the lights in the eating area of the restaurant but did turn on the lights in the kitchen. I quickly covered the two small areas that would shine out into the dining area and, perhaps, be seen by a person or persons unknown. I went to the cooler and went through the supplies there to determine if anything still looked useable. I wasn't impressed. The freezer was smaller but had food in it that I felt I could eat safely. Between the frozen items, pasta, and canned goods, I was able to prepare a good meal and had things for a few more. I poured a glass of wine to go with the meal. It was a late lunch. I prepared a light snack to take with me along with the remainder of the bottle and a glass. I left trying to keep my presence unseen. I walked back to the hotel and went inside to my room. I sat around with a pad and pen to make some plans.

I had a map of the area and had gotten close to Gibraltar. I thought that if I hadn't been caught up in the storm, I probably would have made it through successfully. I finally decided that I would survive this situation, too. I decided that my first question was should I wait to find a boat in Portugal or France or look now? I could reach the Straits quickly enough if I left in the morning. It would be a long time before I found another big piece of land though I would prefer to have aimed. I needed more information to make this successful.

I had taken the laptop from the Katherine B with me. I had been making a record of my time since the Day and didn't want to lose that or the other information on it. The little hotel had wireless and I was able to get on the Internet from the room. Regardless of where I chose to pick up a boat, I needed to make a better decision about my route. I had wandered in the Med in the Katherine B because I couldn't set the autopilot correctly or it was picking up bad signals. If I hadn't gotten off course, I think I could have gotten through the Straits into the Atlantic.

I felt that the failure was a mixed blessing. I now determined that I would really like to have help and would take smaller steps even it meant big delays. I would have to look over my new boat choices for a better quality auto-piloting device. I blamed my relative inexperience and that auto-pilot for my beaching of the Katherine B.

I stayed for two more days cleaning my clothes and preparing myself mentally for the next step in my trip. I found a small car and decided to take it into Portugal and then drive north. It looked to be about four hundred miles to Lisbon but I wanted to drive the coast as much as possible. I wasn't sure what I would see but hoped to avoid gangs of people. I remembered the women in that truck and it still gave me the chills. I wasn't in a hurry and might find a particularly good place with just a few people that might be friendly. I wasn't sure how that would work since I wasn't looking for people actively. Time would tell.

I started out south following the coast having decided to check out Gibraltar. I didn't plan to return to this area so would check out that well-known site. I was hoping for quiet without a crash to end it. I wasn't driving fast and was prepared to stop if I saw a pretty spot or one that appealed to me. Following the coast was interesting but wasn't fast. I had to double back a few times. Early on, I came to a dead-end and pulled around but stopped to hit the beach. It was so pretty and warm that I just had to stop for a while. I broke into a house to shower later and then resumed my little journey. With stopping and doubling back, I made a trip that shouldn't have taken all morning take a day and a half. It was an idyllic time. I reached the Gibraltar area and found a home and moved in. It was a very nice place close to a beach swimming area and I could ride to the Rock. I found no one alive anywhere.

I stayed in the house most of a week taking it easy and enjoying the beach. I went to the Rock and toured all the sights. It was very quiet but somewhat lonely.

I started out on my way to Lisbon. I became lax about safety because my mind was dulled from seeing no one and hearing nothing. Carelessness can be expensive and I drove into a trap.

I had left following the coast and wound up on some small roads. I entered the town of Algeciras and came upon the roadblock. Before I could back up, a large truck pulled up behind me blocking my car. I jumped out and men surrounded me. I was grabbed and disarmed. The eyes were hungry and I had a bad feeling that I was on the menu.

My hands were held behind me and handcuffed together. My blouse was unbuttoned and pulled down my arms leaving me in my bra. A knife quickly cut it away leaving me exposed to the waist. Appreciative comments were made as I was looked over. Finally, another man came out and ordered two men to haul me away. As I was walked up the street, I could see my car being moved and the trap reset.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.