Protection and Preservation, Book 09 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 09

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 16

[Monica's story continues]

Eddie coughed and then said, "I apologize. I'm not very smart sometimes. Lydia protected me from people. I was sending you the wrong looks. I would like to just be friends. You are a very pretty woman but I'm not, I mean, you're not, I mean, we haven't any interest in that direction. Please forgive me."

I relaxed with an effort. Many men had hit on me in the past but this situation was different. I decided to accept his statement at face value. "All right, Eddie. I accept your apology. I would prefer not to travel alone but I was prepared to do that before I met you."

"Thank you, Monica. I appreciate a second chance."

He smiled a little. "There are many things that I don't do well. One that I do pretty well is engineering. The other is cook. Lydia met me at a friend's house when I prepared a holiday meal for all the guests. The people who owned this hotel owned a restaurant. If we can find it and it has useable food, I will cook you a great meal."

I smiled. "Okay, Eddie. You're on. I want about another hour in the sun then I'll clean up and we can find a place for supper." I lay back and basked in the sun while Eddie went inside. I stayed out for almost an hour before going to my room to shower and dress. I headed for the lobby knocking on Eddie's door as I went by.

There was a bar in the lobby and I mixed a drink. I was dressed in what I considered a normal outfit of a blouse and trim slacks with low heels. I sat in the lobby sipping my drink and looking over a brochure. Eddie came in and said, "The restaurant is close. I checked it out and have some things defrosting. Would you join me?"

"That sounds fine, Eddie. Let's go."

He led me down one block to a small restaurant. We went in the front door and I followed him into the kitchen. He said, "There is a lack of fresh vegetables but I have found enough food to prepare a pork pasta dish that I formulated a couple of years ago." He looked at me with a question in his eyes.

"That sounds good, Eddie. What wine should I get from their selection?"

"It's not fancy but a Moscato would be good."

"I'll see what I can find."

"Great, I'll start preparing the food." I left the kitchen and quickly found the wine cellar. There, I picked a couple of bottles of Moscato and brought them back. I put them in the cooler while Eddie was doing his cooking.

Even without fresh ingredients, Eddie prepared a masterful meal. We ate in the dining room after I set a table, opened a bottle of wine and poured. Eddie brought out the plates heaped with food. He smiled shyly. "I know it's too much but we can refrigerate it and grab a cooler. It won't be as good reheated but should still be eatable."

I took a few bites while he talked. "This is delicious! I've always thought myself a pretty good cook but this is really, really good. You are in the chef status."

"Thank you. The Moscato is a good compliment. You picked a good wine."

I chuckled. "It wasn't hard. I looked at their wine list and picked the most expensive Moscato. It had to be a good bet."

We made a leisurely meal out of dinner talking together and trying to plan the future in general terms. We decided to follow the coast to Naples before making any further decisions. I knew, at some point, Eddie would have to head north to try the Chunnel or he, too, would need a boat. We also talked about a different vehicle but saw no particular need to change vehicles.

It was an enjoyable and pleasant meal and we both felt good when we left after cleaning up and putting the leftovers in carry containers. We placed those containers in the restaurant's cooler. We went to our rooms after wishing each other a "good evening." I went into my room, undressed, took a quick shower, and went to bed. For me, it was a quiet and restful night.

In the morning, I woke, well rested, and was in a better frame of mind than I had been since the Day. I turned on the television from habit and listened to the taped broadcasts. There was nothing new to hear since nothing new was said. I dressed in a sleeveless blouse with shorts and sneakers for this day. It was cooler and more sensible for traveling. I debated finding a washing machine or finding new clothes. I decided to put off the decision for two more days. I packed and prepared to leave.

I rolled my case into the lobby and set it down. There was coffee available in the lobby and I started the coffee maker working. As the coffee brewed and the smell of it wafted around, Eddie came in. He saw my cases and nodded. He went back to his room, returning minutes later with his. He poured some coffee adding large amounts of sugar and dry creamer to it. He sat down across from me and said, "Good morning."

"Good morning, Eddie. Did you sleep well?"

He sipped his coffee and said, "Yes, surprisingly so. A good meal, good wine, good company, and a good bed all helped."

I smiled. "All that's true. I had a good night also. I do want to make Naples today."

"Let me prepare some breakfast and we can head north."

"That would be good, Eddie. Why don't you start breakfast and I'll load the car?" Eddie nodded and went outside to walk to the restaurant.

I had left the car close the lobby entrance. I went out with one case and opened the trunk. I loaded all four pieces of luggage into the trunk and closed it. It was so quiet that it was eerie. I realized that my mind was trying to trick my ears into hearing sounds. I walked toward the restaurant.

Suddenly, I realized that I was actually hearing a new sound. This one wasn't my imagination. However, it worried me. I backed away from the road and was glad I wasn't wearing bright clothes. I don't know why I don't like this sound except for never having liked the sound of loud engines on streets. I had attended some NASCAR events over the years and enjoyed them but loud exhausts on the streets had a bad connotation. I found cover from eyes.

I looked up the road to locate the sounds and saw them. There were six motorcycles and two large trucks. All six motorcycles were big "Easy Rider" types that might be good for touring. The constant revving of the engines made little sense other than show and intimidation. One of the trucks was a large pickup with big off-road tires and its own loud exhaust. The second truck scared me. It was what you might call a stake-bodied truck. There was a man riding on the roof facing the bed holding a rifle of some kind. In the bed of the truck were many females and they all seemed to be naked or close to that. I had no illusions about their status.

'Eddie opened the door of the restaurant and peered out. He was immediately seen and two motorcycles peeled off the road and headed for the entrance. He had dodged back inside but it was too late. There was nothing I could do for him.

I thought for an instant. I had my fanny pack that had what I really wanted and needed to always have. While there were a few other things in the car, I could leave them and hope they might be left alone even if the car were trashed.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.