Protection and Preservation, Book 09 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 09

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 11

[Charlie writes from Milan]

It was a long operation but after almost two hours, he was being watched as he recovered. Doctor George came out and said, "We were successful and have relieved the pressure and have stopped the bleeding. It will be two days for him to move off our critical list simply because of the delicacy of the operation. We are guardedly optimistic."

Dad helped Grandmother go into the area and sit with him. Mom Janice went with her. The relief was visible and our doctors were taking it easy. Our hosts were eager to meet the new people who flew in on Hope. Isabella and Marco came to Andrea and me. Through Guiseppe, she said, "Before you fly out, we need to talk to you. We understand better the situation. We want your friendship and support."

Andrea said, "We will be glad to talk to you before we leave. Being friends and helping one another is our intent." They nodded.

After they were out of hearing, I said, "It looks like Marco is beginning to learn or Isabella is a speaker in her own right."

"Charles, your speaker in her own right is tired and wants to go to bed held by her husband unless he wants practice on getting me pregnant some more." We grinned at each other and left for our quarters with our arms around each other's waist.

In the morning, Grandpop was better. Many came to see him. Andrea and I were given a little preference as family. His head was covered in a bandage. "Grandson and his favorite wife! It's good to see the two of you. Charles, thank you for taking the lead in getting my head fixed. I feel much better and actually feel better than I have for years." I looked over at Grandmother sitting on the other side of the bed. She had a big smile that I hadn't seen in months.

"We're glad to see you on the mend."

"Grandfather Jack, for a man who just had his head operated on. You do look and sound good. Charles and I are glad and relieved to see you this way. We were worried."

"I was, too. I just knew I felt bad but couldn't figure it out. A physical reason never occurred to me.

"Doctors George and Anne tell me that I will be bedridden for a couple of weeks while they monitor my condition. Then, I get another cat scan before they will give me a clean bill of health and let me fly even as just a passenger."

We were ready to go. My sister, SJ, and Jacob would stay as would Grandpop and Grandmother. Ted and Lois would stay to nurse.

Milan's people were in shock at the number of people and the technical ability demonstrated. Hope brought a repeater for Ted to assemble and install. Parts for a water wheel generator were brought over fresh from Michael and Ben's shop. Hearing that these items were actually newly manufactured really captured people's attention. A few of the oldsters just wanted to touch them.

Four days after Grandpop's operation, we flew to Valencia, Spain, continuing the prior route. Barcelona was marked "off limits" on our maps. No one would return there any time soon, if ever.

We circled the area looking and feeling for signs of life. Mallard was circling high at about five thousand feet. We were at about a thousand feet and spiraling down slowly. Andrea had the controls while I tried to feel. I felt a faint stirring but nothing on which I could focus. I asked Mom Mel what she felt. She told me that she felt something faint but couldn't get a fix or feel on it. She didn't think it was close.

I announced that we would land. "Andrea, take us in but sweep it a couple of times first."

Andrea took us by the field twice. The first time was low. On the second sweep, she slowed and went even lower to look more closely at the landing surface. I continued to feel for anything without success. I assisted in the landing. We were out from the terminal and waited for long moments while I felt and we and others looked around. It was quiet except for our monster.

I nodded to Andrea and she brought us closer to the terminal area. She began to shut down our engines. I released the ramp controls and saw the telltale that the ramp was being lowered. Moments later, I heard the Humvee crank and leave the cargo area. The ramp was partially raised. I knew people with scoped rifles were watching from that point. I watched the Humvee run around the airport.

Mom Janice came on over the radio. "Charlie, we're going to inspect the near terminal. Do you copy?"

"Yes, Mom. Go ahead." The Humvee stopped and I saw her and Dad get out and run into a terminal. Her voice came through with a muffled sound from the building. "All quiet here. It's deserted. No one has been in this building for many years. We will check fuel next. Does Mallard report anything?"

"Mallard here. All is quiet. We are descending to one thousand feet to better view."

"Roger, Mallard. We're moving out now."

Mom and Dad returned to the Humvee. It went around to look at refueling possibilities. They were further away but within sight. "We have found fuel. It will have to be tested but meets the look and smell test." We will now check out access roads. Unless something is felt or Mallard sees something, I think they could land."

"Mallard copies."

"Mallard, this is Charlie. Unless you see something, come on in. The wind is calm."

"Mallard copies and is coming in."

Mallard landed and taxied over to us facing at right angles to Duck. In the distance, I could see the Humvee headed out on an access road. Mom Janice came on. "Charlie, we don't see any signs of people. I'm in favor of giving the airport an 'all clear' and get started with things."

I said, "Very good, Mom. This is Charlie to all stations. We are giving an all clear to disembark. Remember to continue to use caution and carry radios. Charlie clear."

I heard our ramp being lowered. I removed my seatbelt and stood up. Andrea unfastened hers and I helped her up even though she didn't need any help. It gave me a chance to pull her into my arms and get and give a quick kiss. We moved toward the rear and the ramp.

We exited the plane holding hands. "Charles, we aren't far from the water. I would like to lay out for a while. Also, there are some sights to see here according to the notes your sisters took." We had walked far enough to be out of the way. We weren't carrying rifles but did have our pistols buckled at our waists.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.