The Wizards of Nowy Warsaw
Chapter 18

Copyright© 2014 by Invid Fan

The city of Daraja appeared out of the darkness.

Kasia leaned forward against the railing, her brother and Yaa beside her. She had not slept that night. Nor, really, the night before. The rocking of the ship had not helped the mental anxiety. No. Not anxiety.

Fear.

Stone walls rose up, reminding her of home. That, too, did not help. Like Nowy Kiev, Daraja was a city divided by water. The Orlan ran through the middle of the walled city, becoming an enclosed harbor in the city center. Two draw bridges spanned the river on either end, connecting the two halves. Outside the city walls, canals had been dug, turning the city into two islands. Beyond those, the city had continued to grow, spreading out on either shore of the Orlan. Stone walls, not as thick or high, surrounded those settlements.

This was what they were risking their lives to protect.

She saw Watu soldiers on the battlements, standing outside the glow of lanterns. They probably wondered what good one ship would do them. A reasonable question. The few Polish warships available had been left behind, unable to keep up with the Polaski. As she watched, the wooden drawbridge crossing the river split, its two halves lifting.

"I wish we had an excuse to build one of those," Liuz said. He smiled at her. "I did make one out of Tinker Toys."

"I saw that. We could put one across the Ann river. More people might find the land there useful."

"Hmm." Her brother looked up as the ship passed through the bridge. Her own eyes were on the harbor. Docks lined either shore, most empty. They had passed Watu ships crammed with refugees. She hoped most other civilians had been evacuated out onto the eastern side of the Orlan. The ship made a sharp turn westward. Before them, lamps lit the docks, Watu workers running this way and that. Soldiers were everywhere.

Kasia let out a breath as lines were tossed from the ship.

They were here.


Liuz watched with amusement as the Watu leaders hurriedly got into position at the end of the dock. The soldiers had some poise and dignity, standing as they were trained. The civilians looked like small frightened bears. He followed the King and the others, Kasia and Yaa at his side. Yaa seemed enthralled by the place. He could understand that. Some of the design choices WERE ingenious. He had never thought of Watu as inventive. Not that Harveen wasn't, and it was best he stop that train of thought now.

His Grace stopped at the end of the dock, those behind following suit. The waiting leaders bowed, the deepest ones perhaps the least sincere. King James bowed his head. Well, more of a nod. One of the Watu stepped forward, an intricate feather toga covering his grey fur. He spoke, unintelligible chirps and growls floating back to Liuz. He could understand the tone. It made him want to turn around and leave these people to their fate. His Grace smiled.

"And we are glad to have arrived in time. May I ask for all here to speak Polish, if you are able? Your language is difficult for most of my companions."

Liuz tried not to laugh. It was obvious those assembled wondered why it had to be THEY who must adjust. The lead Watu bowed again.

"Certainly, King James." His eyes scanned them. "What have you brought to help us in our time of need?"

"Hope, leadership, and balloons. Not in that order." He looked up, stars invisible due to the lights around them. "Time is against us. Do you have a command post?"

"Yes." A younger Watu, looking surprisingly like the Mayor, stepped forward. "We have taken over a Polish and Kikker sized tavern just over there."

"Our first major victory," a soldier near Liuz muttered. A slight smile touched the King's lips.

"Let us go, then."


Kasia let out a sigh of relief at the familiar faces. A half dozen Polish officers stood as the Royal party entered. She knew all of them by sight, if not name. Chief Ajani was there as well. He quickly moved to embrace the King, the two exchanging quiet words. She looked around. The room looked like any other tavern. She had not considered before that this city would be built to Watu scale, doorways and ceilings scaled for a smaller race. Could that ever be used as part of the defenses? If the Elves have to crawl on their knees to even enter the place...

"Well." The King and Chief Ajani separated, His Grace glancing at the others. "First, to get it out of the way, I would like to introduce my guest." He motioned. "Her Highness Queen Catty."

The Queen pushed back her hood. Rather than the surprise and outrage Kasia had expected from the gathered Watu, there was silence. Chief Ajani did take her hand, bowing slightly. But, then, he had always been more civilized than most. She smiled at him. The King just nodded at the reaction of the room.

"Now that that's out of the way, to business." He walked to the map table set up. "What do we know?"

General Walesa grabbed a wooden pointer, moving it over the map.

"The main column came within sight just at nightfall, Your Grace. We must assume that is trebuchet range, and they've spent the night getting them operational. We know they have three with them, not the two first reported."

"I'm going to want those taken out," the King said, frowning. "I have no desire to just let them bomb this place for a few days." The General nodded.

"The pontoon bridge sections are assembled and ready. On your word, we can have it across the Orlan within an hour." He indicated a place north of the city. "We have men on the western shore, and the forest seems to be clear of scouts."

"That makes no bloody sense." One of the Kikker officers leaned forward. "Who attacks a city without securing their flanks? OK, they can't surround us, but they bloody well can try and keep us from flanking them!"

"It's either stupidity or a trap," one of the Watu said, struggling with the language. The King nodded.

"Whichever, I want that bridge across now. Get the flying artillery and Winged Hussars over there." He motioned across a patch of forest. "I want them in position to attack the trebuchets as soon as possible."

"Your Grace." General Walesa was frowning. "I just had a horrible thought."

"Only one, General?"

The man swept his eyes around the room.

"What if this isn't stupidity, or a trap, but a ... distraction?"


Felek woke to a violent shaking of his arm.

He blinked, staring up at the dark ceiling. His arm was shaken again, accompanied by a panicked voice. He winced at the volume.

"FELEK!" He was in the same bed as Ruta. There was no need to shout. Nor, probably, to wake him. God, he was tired...

"What?" He hoped he said it aloud. He had intended to. The shaking stopped at least, her two hands instead tightening on his bare forearm.

"There's danger! The Lady!"

Felek blinked again, years of training kicking in to wake him fully. Danger? Lady? He forced himself to sit up. A yawn escaped his lips.

"What?" He looked at Ruta. His blonde love was frantic, bare body shaking. He swung himself towards her, hand reaching for her shoulder. "What is it?"

"The Lady! She spoke to me! There's danger! Tonight! Now! We have to tell everyone!"

He shook his head, clearing out the last of the cobwebs.

"Where? What's the danger?"

"It's everywhere! But you have to go west!"

The door opened. Anelie and Klocia stood there nude, swords in hand. He hadn't realized Ruta had been that loud. Tossing off the covers, he slid himself towards the edge of the bed. He headed off their questions.

"Zywie sent a message to Ruta. There's danger. Put the Kingdom on alert. We have to go to Visvang."

"Nude?" Anelie raised an eyebrow at him, Klocia seemingly focused on his wife. He chuckled, feet hitting the floor.

"I'm putting pants on. You can sort your own wardrobe out."


They rode down the Frog Road as fast as they dared push the horses.

The island was coming awake around them. Felek heard commands yelled, horses moving this way and that. Ruta had not been able to give them any more detail: there was danger, and Felek was to go west. Thus, they went west. Perhaps more than any other in this land, he and those with him knew a Goddesses words were not to be ignored.

The road moved upward into the pass. They passed militia hurriedly manning the guard post at the narrowest spot. This was where they would hold the enemy, if the fishing village was lost. Felek didn't even want to think about that possibility.

The road dropped down towards the harbor. The village was awake, lamps lit, Kikker soldiers gathering. He saw the most activity at the lefthand spur of the harbor entrance. Kicking into his mount, he headed there.


Chief Issa stood between two of the cannons, binoculars pointed towards the horizon. Cannon balls and packs of powder were being dragged out of storage, put where it was the most convenient. Felek dismounted, moving quickly to his friend. Issa turned as he approached.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.