The Wizards of Nowy Warsaw
Chapter 16

Copyright© 2014 by Invid Fan

Spring of the Seventh Year of His Grace King James


Music filled the air.

Kasia snuggled back into her chair, watching the impromptu party down below. The tavern's second floor patio had a good view of the plaza and street, with the advantage of being well out of the way of drunken revelers. You could also enjoy the music. Another group of musicians were starting up, a fast number her foot could not help but tap along to.

She loved Dyngus Day.

Kasia couldn't remember if the day after Easter had been celebrated before the King came to the throne. She had been young, festivals tending to blend together. Now she was old enough to appreciate the spring celebration for what it was. While Easter celebrated God, Jesus, and the renewal of that bond with Jesus's sacrifice, Dyngus Day celebrated spring, the renewal of life. The pairing of lovers, the start of families. She sent her glance at the doorway behind her, Natan appearing carrying two mugs in one hand and a platter of chicken wings in the other. She looked away, cheeks warming.

She had found her lover.

"Here we go." He placed the tray on the small table between their chairs. She immediately grabbed one of the wings. The music had given her an appetite. Setting the drinks down as well, Natan settled into his chair. "Need anything else?"

"Nope." Kasia bit into the wing. She preferred the pieces with two bones. Perhaps because others always went for the drumsticks. It was easier to dip drumsticks into the blue cheese, though...

There was a scream from below. Leaning forward, she saw a teen boy had grabbed a girl from behind, her feet currently dangling in the air. Her face was one of laughter, even as she protested loudly, fists beating on him. The boy carried her a few feet into a small alley between buildings. As soon as both were in shadow, the girl silenced, hands grabbing his arms. As he released her, she spun, throwing her body at him, hands grabbing his head as she drew him down for a kiss.

Kasia looked away. It would be wrong not to give them privacy.

"The musicians aren't as drunk this year," Natan said, grinning at her. She returned it.

"It's early yet. Dusk is when they really get 'good'."

"You going to feel like staying that long?"

She nodded.

"I think so. It's a beautiful day." For being early spring, the weather was unusually warm. The sky was blue, not a cloud to be seen. Almost as if God had blessed this day.

Her eyes flicked to the harbor, the tower. Yes. This day seemed to belong to Her, as Easter had belonged to Him. But, she could feel the Goddess. Sense the joy of spring, of love. Even as she thought of reaching out, Natan's hand took hers.

"You still want to?" he asked. She nodded, eyes still on gleaming white tower.

"I don't know why, but ... yes. I want to marry on the island. If you don't mind?" She turned her head, his smile reassuring her.

"Whatever you wish, My Lady." He paused, considering. "But, if we both become lepers, we run to the Cathedral and do that ceremony, too."

"Agreed!"


This was not, to Liuz's mind, the best Dyngus Day he had ever had.

He stood on the earthen redoubt as men and oxen maneuvered the wheeled brass cannon into place. The defensive structure was not QUITE done, let alone the rest of the fort, but His Grace had wanted to start sending the new artillery batteries out. Liuz had to admit he agreed with the King. He wanted to see the result of all their hard work out here, protecting Poland.

Plus, they were running out of room to store the damned things.

"I'm still not sure about this." Shanna's comment drew his gaze back to the Dark Hussar. She stood beside him, dressed in the same dark blue uniform as the other soldiers.

"Which 'this'?"

"The design," she said, motioning with her brown hand. "It's like at home, which means it's for defense against cannons. But, they'll be attacking us for the next few decades, with luck, with big rocks. I still think thick stone walls would be better." She grimaced, holing up her hand to him. "But we don't have the stone, so it's mostly dirt fill or nothing. I know."

"This does make it a smaller target, though. If the first few volleys fly over the fort, that gives you time to take them out."

"Unless they're across the river."

His gaze followed her hand motion. The Orlan was wide and slow. While the Polish cannons could reach the far shore, trebuchets could attack from far out of their range. Without the ability for Winged Hussars to strike at such weapons...

"But," Shanna went on, "then their soldiers can't reach us anyway so it'll just be hiding until they get tired and go home." She shook her head. "Fun."

Turning, she walked down the ramp into the fort. Liuz followed. None of the earth and stone walls connecting the five redoubts were complete. Nor was the central Keep. One of the outlying buildings looked done, hugging the unfinished southern wall. Most of the buildings would follow the wall, almost using them as protection from bombardment.

"Lady Shanna!" A soldier was running up. Young, perhaps not even as old as Kasia. For some reason that disturbed Liuz. Shanna stopped.

"Report."

"Lady, the northern patrol is in."

She glanced up at the sun. None of Liuz's clocks had made it this far out.

"They're late. Any problems?"

"Don't know, but the Lieutenant wants to speak with you."

Shanna nodded.

"Lead the way."


The soldiers were dismounted beside a fountain in the Kikker town surrounding the fort. Liuz cast his gaze at those watching the Poles. There was still an undercurrent of distrust from the former refugees. A fear they had fled from Elven domination to end up under Polish control. And, perhaps, they had. Certainly tensions were such that Kikker labor was only being used to build their new homes, for fear using them on the Polish fort would bring charges of them being slaves.

He shook his head. Thinking about politics made Liuz's head hurt.

"Bach." One of the solders looked up at Shanna's call. He saluted, afternoon sun reflecting off his black breastplate.

"Lady."

"What's up?"

"We bumped into a Watu patrol. Talked a bit." Shanna raised an eyebrow at that. He chuckled. "Gossiped. I don't think the higher ups are telling us everything."

"No reason to think they would be. What's the gossip?"

"The Elves keep crossing the Orlan north of Daraja. Probing south. Those blasted beasts of theirs can't swim, so they must have boats hidden somewhere. They're coming across just strong enough to really bloody the Watu patrols."

Liuz could believe that. While Harveen could have a temper, he could not imagine a fight between Elf and Watu going well for the short furry soldiers.

Shanna made a noise much like a growl.

"I don't want a single Elf on this side of the Orlan. We can't have them behind us when the shit hits the fan."

"Unless you base us in Daraja- which NONE of us want- we can't patrol up there."

"I know, I know..."

An image came to Liuz's mind. An image and a remembered conversation with Chief Issa. He stood silently as the soldiers talked, considering. Would he be the fool for telling soldiers what to do? Well, he was going home tomorrow, so that shouldn't be much of a consideration. He waited to get Lady Shanna's attention.

"Lady." She glanced at him, pushing her glasses up on her nose. "The Kikker here have their own soldiers?" Shanna nodded, expression hard to decipher. "We need to talk to Prince Ajani then."

She blinked, then shrugged.

"Why not."


The newly crowned Prince sat before a few dozen children, reading a book. The small brown and green Kikker all leaned forward as they sat in the grass, eyes wide as his smooth (if ribbit-y) voice flowed around them. Pausing, Prince Ajani turned the book around, holding it up to show them a picture of Kikker sailors on a fishing boat during a storm. The kids let out appropriate sounds of worry.

"He's had lots of practice," Shanna said softly as he began reading again, "now that he's near the grandkids. I honestly think that's why he took the job. Not that I'd have refused to let Bogdi and Adanya go back to Nowy Warsaw."

Liuz nodded. Scanning the lawn, he didn't see any of the half Polish youngsters. Then again, they were probably either too young or too old for stories.

Cheers broke out from the audience as the Prince closed the book. A few of the youngest jumped up and ran to him, hugging the man like he was their grandfather. Mothers called their youngsters to them, a few sharply. Rising slowly, Ajani noticed the Poles. Male Kikker appeared from nowhere to join him as he walked over.

"My friends! Liuz! I have not seen you!"

"Nor I you." Liuz smiled. "My sister misses you."

"And I her!" His eyes slid to Shanna. "But, you did not come to gossip."

"No." Shanna raised an eyebrow at Liuz. He took a deep breath.

"Prince, I talked with Issa awhile ago. About Kikker soldiers." One of the males straightened, Liuz now seeing the insignia on the strap of his toga. "He mentioned there were elite units, units for fighting under water. Do you have such soldiers here?"

Ajani looked at the male beside him, obviously one of his commanders. The officer was concentrating, forming words into Polish (and none too happy about it). He finally came to attention.

"We have such a unit. Strong, brave. Available to protect our people."

"Why do you ask, my Inventor?" Ajani asked.

"Because he's smart," Shanna said, voice amused. "That's why." She regarded Ajani. "We've heard Elves and their beasts are crossing the Orlan north of Daraja and harassing the Watu. Not a hard thing to do, but we can't have this. I can't patrol up there, and their mounts are as fast as ours. However, they can't swim, which means they're coming over by boat or raft. If, perhaps, some of your people could be there waiting as they cross..."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.