The Wizards of Nowy Warsaw - Cover

The Wizards of Nowy Warsaw

Copyright© 2014 by Invid Fan

Chapter 9

The four walked down the paved street towards the tavern.

Liuz could not help shooting quick looks towards Rafal in the fading light. It was unlike the younger boy to join him and Kasia like this. Maybe he just wanted to get away from Tymon, or his mother. Liuz could understand that. Urszuli certainly tended to get on Liuz's nerves.

"Should we ask Roda to come?" Kasia asked. Liuz looked off in the direction of the house. He shook his head.

"I asked this morning. She didn't say yes." A strange expression passed over Harveen's face. "Besides, I don't think she'd like it. She was complaining about me being with wenches."

"Jealous," Kasia said, voice sage-like. Liuz raised an eyebrow at her.

"Jealous?"

"Yup."

"Over me ignoring big breasted serving girls?"

"Yup."

Liuz shook his head. He'd never understand girls.


The tavern was busier than the night before. The tables were mostly full, bar maids moving swiftly with pitchers of various drinks. They worked hard. For all the people of the town talked about the kind of woman who worked in these places, they were not lazy deadbeats.

They did all have big half exposed bosoms, though.

The Watu were settled at two tables on the left. They were either recovering from dancing, or getting ready to dance. He had never seen them not in some dance related activity while here. Harveen gave a loud high pitched growl, short legs taking her towards her father. Liuz was never going to understand their language. It didn't seem like words to him. Kikker, that at least sounded like a form of communication. He didn't understand it, but Liuz could comprehend what it was trying to do. Not so with the Watu. He might as well try talking to a horse.

Grabbing a couple extra chairs, they sat themselves at the end of the closest table. Music started up. As one, the male adult Watu rose, a couple taking a final swig of their drink. A few girls gave playful screams as the hairy revelers rushed the open floor, the Poles giving way as the music's tempo increased. Kasia shook her head.

"What IS it with your father and dancing?"

"Mom doesn't like to." Harveen took a drink from an abandoned mug. "We're leaving at first light, so he has to do it now."

Liuz nodded. He could understand that.

"Harveen." Rafal's voice was nervous. Given the rowdy noise around them, Liuz could understand that as well.

"Hm?" The Watu put down the empty mug, reaching for another one as she regarded the boy. Rafal pulled his chair closer.

"Harveen ... could you ask your father if I can join you when you leave tomorrow?"

Kasia's mouth dropped open, hands quickly coming up to catch herself against the table as her body fell forward. Liuz found himself leaning back, as if distance could bring comprehension.

"What?" His sister was more forceful.

"What are you talking about?" She stood, hands on the table. "That's stupid!"

"I hate that mill!" Rafal leaned towards Harveen. "Please. Let me come with you. I'm a good worker. They can tell you" He motioned towards the siblings. "I'll pull my own weight. Please."

The girl sighed. Slowly, she placed a small clawed hand on his arm.

"No. I'm sorry."

"Why?" His voice was pleading. "I'll work! Ask your father!"

"I don't have to. How many languages do you speak?"

"What?" He leaned back, confused. "Polish."

"And nothing else." Harveen shook her head. "A trader must be fluent. We have workers. Workers we don't have to hide if we come among Elves. I'm sorry. You would be a burden."

Rafal stood, chair roughly pushed back. Kasia reached for him.

"Rafal..."

Turning, he marched out of the tavern.

"Go after him!" Liuz felt his sister's arm pushing him. He looked at her.

"And what? Drag him back? He's not going anywhere. Probably'll just go home."

She collapsed into her chair.

"God..."

"Yeah." Liuz reached towards one of the half filled mugs. "I need a drink."


Kasia had no idea what time it was. All she knew was the tavern around her was an incoherent buzz, her mind a foggy mess.

What had Rafal been thinking?

She rubbed her eyes, blinking to bring focus. The wooden serving board still had several squares of Royal Pizza. Even as she watched, Harveen's father grabbed one of the dough and cheese slices. A part of her laughed. He had traveled around the world to Nowy Poland, only to eat food as foreign to her as it was to him.

"Are you OK?" Harveen's voice was soft, body pressed against her. Kasia sighed, eyes venturing once again towards the door. Still no sign of Rafal. She had been so sure he would return.

"Yeah." She looked at her friend. "Did you have to say 'no' to him so quickly? You could have waited to ask your father."

"Already did, once." Harveen turned her gaze towards Liuz, returning from the latrine. Kasia grabbed her arm, shocked.

"Did Liuz... ?"

"No. I wanted to ask him, if Dad said OK."

Kasia leaned back in her chair, trying to absorb that. So much that her friend had said and done now made so much more sense, even if the reverse was true for Rafal. As her brother came up to them, Harveen jumped to her feet.

"Liuz! Let's take a walk!"

"What?" She moved to his side, grabbing his hand as she pulled him towards the door. Kasia shook her head as she reached for the second to last slice of pizza. She was never going to understand her friend.


Harveen was aways such a mystery to Liuz.

She seemed to have two modes. One was the bouncy, talkative, outgoing person he saw for most of her visits. The girl who spoke her thoughts, whatever those thoughts might be and however the Poles around her might regard them. That girl was fun, if a bit annoying after a while. The other Harveen was the one he was seeing now, the girl who appeared whenever she was alone with him. Quiet. Reflective. Intelligent. The one he liked the most. Liuz had no idea which was the act, which was the real her. Maybe both were. The Watu were a strange people.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.