The Wizards of Nowy Warsaw
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2014 by Invid Fan

Spring of the Second Year of His Grace King James


Liuz still wasn't happy about the noise.

It was constant, for one thing. Even when the saw was disengaged, the creaking of the water wheel and the roar of the water still filled the air. Add the whirring of leather belts and whining of wooden gears below his feet, the biting of the saw blade into the logs, the steady clanking of the gear wheel moving the log forward into the blade ... rarely were his ears not being assaulted.

Not that he had a right to complain.

He watched the squared off log move forward into the blade, hand steady on the long lever poking out of the floor, ready to disengage the saw at the slightest sign of trouble. So far, the day had gone smoothly. Six logs had been sliced into boards, almost completing the order from the tanner. He was adding a second floor to his establishment, moving his family up above as he expanded his work space to fill the entire ground level. Everyone was expanding, it seemed. The rushed construction of last year morphing into larger, more solid constructions.

Even his master was ready to expand.

"Liuz!"

He turned to look at Rafal. Roda's brother was standing beside the large toothed wheel sticking up out of the planked floor. A hinged rod moved the gear forward with each upward slice of the saw, advancing the bed on which the log sat. The boy knelt, pointing at the wooden rods which supported the curved metal rim.

"There's a crack! I don't like this!"

"Damn!" Liuz pulled back on the lever. It shuddered as the gears below separated, the saw slowly stopping. The lessening of noise feeling almost like silence by comparison, he walked around the now still log, kneeling beside Rafal. Rafal pointed.

"Here. See it?"

"Yeah. I see it." He let out a sigh. These damned things were always breaking. The local wood didn't like the stress, and replacing them with metal? Ha! A dream. He glanced over at the silent second saw. It sat, unused, awaiting a new wooden gear and leather belt. "We're going to have to swap it out, use the one from Saw One." Rafal let out a groan.

"I wish Kasia was here."

"So do I," Liuz said, groaning as he stood. "So do I."


Kasia hobbled down the stone paved lane, crutch jammed into her armpit.

Why, exactly, Roda had saved the wooden crutch Liuz had made for her was a mystery. So she could use it again if need be was what she claimed, but the older girl had outgrown it rather quickly. Kasia wasn't complaining, its existence getting her back on her feet quickly, but she WAS curious.

Kasia felt a twinge in her shoulder. That wasn't good. The ten year old maneuvered herself against the side of the bakery, hopping until her back was against the brick wall. It made sense, she thought, that the bakery with its ovens was one of the few stone buildings. Any fire would just turn it onto one big oven instead of burning the whole town down. Not that it still wouldn't be a disaster...

She shook her head. It seemed her mind of late was always thinking of how things could go wrong. Of what new disaster could visit her or her brother. As if the current one was not enough. Kasia removed the crutch from its home, rotating her shoulder. Damned foot. She looked down. Even covered by the knit boot Roda had made she could see the swelling. Feel the irritation at just the touch of the soft yarn. Why had she let go of that board? She was lucky her foot had not been crushed!

Kasia let out a sigh, moving the wicker bag to her other hand, trying to work the kink out of her now free shoulder. If only she could change which side she used the crutch on. She had tried it, once. She found her weight almost instantly coming down on the swollen right foot, pain shooting through her body. That had ended that experiment. Even as she thought that, Kasia felt her left leg start to complain about supporting her weight. Was there nothing she could do to please all of her body at once?

Doing errands for Lady Urszuli probably wasn't helping. Kasia transferred the crutch and bag to their proper sides, putting weight on the crutch again. All she was good for was sitting around doing menial tasks, helping with dinner or maybe light sewing. This at least got her out of the house. Away from the new baby crying away at all hours.

In the distance behind her, a child began crying. Kasia laughed. Given all the children born since the exodus, there was no escaping them. Pushing away from the wall, she began the walk home.


"I'm back."

Kasia said it softly as she opened the door, not wanting to be blamed for waking Tolek. She needn't have worried. Urszuli was feeding the infant, dress unbuttoned enough for the large breast to pop out. Roda sat beside her, one of Tymon's work shirts in her lap. She looked up, needle paused in its work.

"Did you have trouble?"

Kasia shook her head, shifting the bag in her hand.

"Nope."

"Good," Urszuli replied, not looking up from her son. "Leave it on the kitchen counter."

Roda shrugged apologetically, attention going back to her sewing. Kasia didn't mind. She was lucky she and Liuz were able to live here at all. Tymon was under no obligation to honor his promise, what with marrying the mother of two children having changed everything. He now had Rafal to help at the sawmill, even if the boy was somewhat reluctant. She and her brother were...

She took a deep breath, deciding not to go there. They were apprentices, and that was all that mattered. Kasia walked to the counter, depositing the bread and fish. Her job done, she made her way to their room.


It was large enough for a bed, one you were even able to access from three sides. Quarters for either an apprentice or a monk. She liked it. It was efficient. Two chests stuck under the mattress held their clothing, another their meager possessions. Both Roda and Rafal had their own rooms. Roda had offered to let Kasia stay with her, but ... well, she slept better with her brother nearby. There was no way she was letting Liuz out of her sight.

She looked out the small window. Should she go to the mill? It was a long walk, but she'd be able to sit and talk with her brother. Her foot throbbed. No, not today. Today she'd just find someplace and sit. Grabbing the short bedpost, she carefully slipped her good foot under the end of the bed. She felt her shoe touch rope. Slowly, she withdrew her leg, a weathered rope and cloth bag slipping into the light. She smiled. She'd go play.


Kasia found a place near the street where the grass was short and the goat droppings few. The small herd was around fifty feet away, munching on the spring grass. She sat beside a patch of dirt, arranging her legs comfortably. Her dress was pulled up a bit too high for common decency, but that was never a concern of hers. She was still a kid, after all. With a glee benefiting that thought, she dumped the contents of the bag onto the ground. It was time to build!

You could tell the difference between the building sticks her father had made, and the new ones from her brother. The new ones were brighter, the stain fresher. The quality also varied. You could could tell which he had made first, hands unsure. Sometimes she even laid them in order, watching as Liuz's skill increased until the sticks and joints were as good as their father's handiwork. That wasn't what she wanted to do today. Today, she had a plan. Grabbing four of the circular pieces with the holes in them, she arranged them on the ground in a square. Taking four of the longest sticks, she stuck them in the holes around the side, creating a physical square. She repeated this, then stuck medium length sticks into the central holes in the joint circles. On top of this she affixed the other square, creating a squat cube.

Now things would get tricky.


"Hello."

The man's voice startled her. Kasia paused in her spinning of the gears, looking up. The stranger stood beside a horse, a soldier holding its reins. He was clean-shaven, hair black and short. Brown eyes regarded her with interest. He looked familiar. Her eyes glanced up beyond him. Winged Hussars sat astride war horses. Recognition hit her, her eyes snapping back to the man before her.

"Your- Your Grace!" She began to rise, hand fumbling for her crutch. The King knelt, hand touching her shoulder.

"Sit," he said, smiling. "I apologize for interrupting."

"No! It's OK!" She tried curtsying while seated, instantly realizing how silly that had to look. She felt her face redden. "W-what can I do for you, Your Grace?"

"You can tell me about this," he said, motioning towards her creation. "It's amazing!"

Her face got hotter. Reaching out, she turned the crank at the bottom.

"It's just a series of gears, Your Grace. It doesn't really do anything, apart from move that wheel up there."

"It reminds me of a wind mill," he said, "if you reverse it." Taking his hand, he spun the vertical wheel on the top. The gears transferred the movement to the handle. Kasia looked on, fascinated. A mill powered by ... wind? How? Maybe ... sails on the top gear. Yes. Wind pushes the sails like water pushes a wheel. The King spoke again, her attention shifting immediately. "More importantly, what did you build it with?" He ran a finger down one of the sticks.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.