My Everett Mountain Retreat
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2014 by Jack Spratt

Special thanks to Phil Gorman 2015 for his expertise in editing and proofing.

When Skip departs the Chevy, I can hear him swearing at the slight incline. I am out to welcome Peanut, who is smiling knowing that am tweaking Skip, our ongoing task of aggravating each other.

"Welcome, Peanut! I was waiting for your travel information, so I would be there to pick you up. How come you brought Grumpy with you? He told me, in no uncertain terms, that he did not wish to see me, or my friendly, happy mountain, in this lifetime. But, here he is, with his usual scowl. Come on in, Peanut, I will make you a coffee and explain why I need your expertise. Grumpy can come in, too, or stay outside and scream at the mountain."

Skip is still mumbling to himself, but follows Peanut and me into the cabin. Peanut is impressed with the changes, Skip is still muttering to himself. In seconds, Peanut is connected to the net, downloading his email, which he scans.

"Nothing important: What are you up to, Don?"

"Do you think we should have the conversation in private? I don't want to get your friend here upset?"

"Don, for shit sakes, can it! I apologize for talking about your mountain in vain. What the hell are you up to?"

"Okay, Skip, I accept your offhanded apology, even though I don't think you meant a word of it."

Skip gives me the international salute; index finger, straight up.

"Just as I thought ... your apology was insincere."

"Enough already, I surrender; now, what the hell is going on?"

It took a good twenty minutes to review the recon information regarding 12 Moore Road and 314 Peal Street and the need for Peanuts drone.

"Do you have your tranquilizer rifles with you Skip?"

"I never leave home without them, especially when coming to Abbotsville."

"Good! I have a hunch, they will be needed to take down 12 Moore Road; I don't think it is loaded with nasties. With what's left of Riggs's organization, discipline is likely pretty lackadaisical."

"Let's hope so!"

"Skip, I do have good news for you; Mckenzi has a room for an old person, such as yourself, at the safe house. She has converted it to a home for unwed mothers; you should fit in like a glove."

Again, the international salute; am I that impressive?

"Don, what can I do? To be honest, I have been bored out of my mind. Sometimes I wish I hadn't met you."

I am sure I heard that phrase once already today. Do I have that effect on everybody? The sun is just starting to set. It is a perfect time to do a recon on Moore Road.

"Peanut, are you up to a little drive?"

"Of course! I slept on the way down; although, occasionally I did hear Skip mumbling under his breath. I don't think he likes you."

Skip has the international salute down to a fine art, but this time it is Peanut who is so honored.

"Grab your drone from Skip's Chevy; we have a job to do. Sleep well, Skip!"

As Peanut is placing his cardboard boxed drone in the back of the Suburban; Skip climbs into the passenger seat. Peanut looks at me, smiles, and closes the back. He climbs into the back seat behind Skip.

"Skip, you need some sleeping powders? Peanut and I don't want to get you exited and put you off your sleep cycle."

"Would you shut up and drive! You are a real asshole, Don!"


The street lights flick on just as we approach Moore Road. There is no discernable activity from the street. Each floor shows dim illuminations from each, reminds me of night lights. We cannot determine if the building is occupied. Launching the drone will be tricky. Looking for a cover, there is none.

"Don, drive around the block, keep your eyes out for an empty building or perhaps an alley. This neighborhood is old enough to have alleys."

Slowly, we start the tour; on the second trip, one building appears to be vacant; it has an empty doublewide driveway. The buildings on both sides appear closed for the day, both are small businesses. Backing into the driveway, we wait. We haven't caused any interest. Quickly Peanut is at the back, the drone is now climbing upwards. Peanut is back in the truck, monitoring the drone.

"Peanut, take three or four passes over the building; then, up and down the sides a couple of times. We can analyze the footage at the cottage. We can't do anything tonight."

After landing the drone, Peanut repacks it and we are off to the cottage. The adrenaline starts to flow, even Skip is antsy.

"Don, stop at the chicken place, I will spring for dinner."

"Sure ... you want to get some feathers and beaks? Such a nice guy!"

Again, the international sign of appreciation!


Sil called to tell me I had an appointment with Amye Pellow at eleven. As I pull up to the address, 83 Blackstone Ave., Amye is at the curb beside her car. She smiles when she sees me.

"What a small world, Don. You are interested in this house?"

"Not me, but a principal I work for is."

"And you are here to negotiate, right?"

"You see right through my façade. What is the listing price?"

"Three hundred ninety eight thousand."

"Show me the property, please."

It is a three story sprawling edifice. There are currently wheel chair ramps leading to the large covered veranda, which runs the width of the building; wide enough to allow two wheelchairs to pass with no difficulty. Inside there is an elevator that has been built to accommodate wheelchairs. This is too good to be true! How in the hell did Jake and Sil find it?

"Amye, I am curious, the building is already set up for wheelchairs. What is its history?

"Do you remember Mr. Green? You bought 89 Blackstone from him. His wife's brother and his wife were confined to wheelchairs. Mr. Green had this home adapted for their use. They passed away nearly eight months ago, within three weeks of each other. Mr. Green now wants to sell it."

"How about three-hundred and forty thousand?"

"Before I write up an offer, let me talk to Mr. Green."

She reaches in her car, grabs her purse, retrieves her cell and then dials. I watch and wait. She advises Mr. Green of my offer, and then I watch her head move up and down as she answers, I assume questions from Mr. Green. What I do hear is.

"Yes, Mr. Green, it is the same purchaser who purchased your other Blackstone property."

A few more nods and then she looks at me and says.

"Mr. Green would like to talk to you."

"Hello, Don Johnson here."

"Hello, Mr. Johnson, your offer is too low; however, I would consider three hundred and sixty."

"Done."

"If you want access, as you did with the other property, the same conditions will apply. I have another request ... can you pay in gold ingots? I would appreciate that."

"Done! Amye will have to wait a moment for me to obtain the twenty-five thousand."

"Please, let me talk to Amye."

Handing the telephone back to Amye, I wait as she nods her head a number of times. Then she hangs up.

"That is a good price for this unit. With all the additions, it is worth a lot more. Nevertheless, Mr. Green apparently likes you. He said something about twenty five thousand."

I just smile. What Mr. Green likes is gold ingots and cash; he mentioned, during the last purchase, he didn't want his siblings to know what he was up to or how much he made from the sale, I assume the same reasons hold this time. Ingots are not a problem. Mr. Riggs was kind enough to provide enough for numerous purchases. This will be just one of many in the future.

"While you write up the offer, I will get the cash for Mr. Green."

A quick trip to the safe house has Mckenzi back on duty in a flash; I had my hand on the basement door when she appeared behind me.

"Hello, Don, what a surprise."

"Just here for a moment, need some supplies from the vault."

"What are you up to now?"

"The vacant house down the street will be occupied by disabled Vets and others as soon as I can get it furnished. Sil and Jake came up with the idea."

"I wondered what you were going to do with that fortune."

"Really, Mckenzi, I don't need it. However, if you have an idea, which will assist those who need assistance, then that is what it's for. Feel free to take what you need for some good work, even if it is for your clients. Do they need clothing? A computer? Cell phone? Anything they need to help them recover, go for it."

"Thank you, Don. All of the girls are strapped for money, their wardrobes are the shits. I will plan a shopping trip in the next few days. That will pick up their spirits."

With one of my famous shopping bags, I relieve the vault of twenty five thousand in one bag and in another forty thousand to start the furniture purchase. I will have to call Sil and Jake to find out what the guys will require. No point in buying something that doesn't fit their needs.

When I return to Amye's car, she is watching me trudge down the street with my two shopping bags. Handing her the bag with the twenty-five thousand, she hands me the keys and the offer.

"Same as last time; sign the offer in front of Mr. Haley, and he can give Mr. Green's lawyer a call to make arrangements to complete the sale."

"Thank you, Amye; by the way, do you have Robin's cell number? I am going to need some furniture."


At the cottage, Peanut does his thing with his laptop and the flat screen. Moments later, we are watching 12 Moore Street in living color. We count five heat signatures, all moving about. There is no holding cell; mind you, I wasn't expecting one. They move from floor to floor; then they all gather on the first level; could be a eating area or kitchen. There is no indication of what they could be guarding.

"What do you think, Skip? You are interested, aren't you?"

"You bastard! You knew I couldn't keep away. If we had a key we could take them out, one by one, as they complete their rounds."

"A key is no problem!"

Skip looks at me, wondering how I could arrange that.

"I have all the keys to all of the late Mr. Riggs's holdings."

"How in the hell did you manage that?"

"Long story for later: do you have your tranquilizer rifles with you?"

"I never leave home without them. What's your plan?"

"Let me call Mark first; then I don't have to explain twice!"

A call to the Vets Help Center finds Mark at his favorite activity: poker. It makes me wonder if he has discovered girls yet; that reminds me, I should make contact with Teagan about her wonderful offer of a night's lodging.

"Mark here; make it quick, I have a good hand."

"Need you Mark, as soon as you can, at the cottage; if Rex is available, bring him as well."

"You always call when I am winning! Be there in an hour."

Click, dead line.

Within the hour, the sound of Mark's powerful engine rumbles, as he moves slowly up the incline. Rex is with him. We now have a round table.

"Okay, Don, what are you up to? I had to leave a game where I was up eighty nine dollars, so it better be worth it."

"Hi, Rex, getting bored?"

His facial expression tells me I hit a cord of interest. When we raided the compound the 'three musketeers' went far and beyond their tasks, getting right in the middle of the action, securing the perps with the plastic restraints while Skip and I continued to gas the balance of the buildings.

"Just a bit, what are you into now?"

"Same thing, but a bit smaller. Let me run the video and then I will outline what I would like to do; then, we can have a round table about the pros and cons of my idea."

Once the video was complete, and all had a few cups of coffee from the new and improved spiffy coffee maker, I gave an outline of my plan.

"It is simple, I will lead the group and open the door; Skip will take down the first perp with a tranquilizer dart. Peanut will keep us apprised of the movements of the other perps, alerting us if they move towards us. Mark will follow Skip with his tranquilizer gun at the ready, giving us the firepower if two show up at the same time. Once we have all he perps down, we will use the plastic restraints on all of them and duct tape, if needed. Rex and his crew will load them in his Sprinter, and drive them to a mall and unload them beside a light pole. Using more plastic restraints, they will connect all of the perps together at the elbows; thus, in effect, attaching them to the light pole. Since they still should be in La-la Land, there should be little or no resistance. Rex and his crew will return here. I will call Ray Twayne and suggest that he take a trip to the mall, as a gift awaits him. The odds are in our favor every perp has a record and perhaps an active warrant for his arrest. Anyway, they will have a helluva time explaining how they got to the mall and ended up restrained. Questions? Suggestions?"

Skip is trying to restrain a laugh, or a giggle, but he blows it when he actually snorts.

"Don, you come up with some the hairiest ideas; but, I have to say, I believe it can work."

"Thanks for the somewhat sideways support Skip! Anyone else?"

Rex is chomping at the bit.

"Okay, Don, now tell us why we are doing this? What is in the building?"

"Truthfully, Rex, I don't know. All I know is it is guarded by the perps, quite possibly some of the remnants of Riggs's goons. But, from what we know of Riggs, there has to be something of value in the building. If it is drugs, we will destroy them or turn them over to the authorities; however, no action that may expose us. So, we destroy any drugs, if necessary. Since I have the title to the property, we can't be looked at as trespassers."

All are quiet; it seems no one picked up on the fact that I now own the property. Skip speaks.

"When do you plan to fulfill this adventure?"

"It's too late for tonight. How about we set a time of seven for tomorrow evening? It will give Peanut's drone the cover of dusk. Questions? Will your buddies be available, Rex?"

"Not a problem! I hate to say this, but they did enjoy defending the mountain. Where do we meet?"

"Outside the Vets Help Center. That shouldn't cause any undue interest ... a bunch of vets at the center."

Soon, the sound of Gary's engine, and the movement of headlights, fills the cottage as his car slowly backs to Timber Road. That leaves Skip, Peanut and me at the cabin.

"Don, Peanut and I have had a long day, we are going to hit the sack; at least I am."

Both rearrange the sofa and daybed, then Peanut hits the shower; Skip is sitting with his eyes closed, nearly nodding off. Me? I head outside to watch the tail end of the sunset.

Then I think of Teagan. Hell, I wish I was with her now! Using my cell, I dial.

"Hello, Teagan, sorry I didn't call earlier."

"Oh Daddy, I've really missed you! I was hoping you would come."

"Things I couldn't control made it impossible. I just needed to call you."

"I am glad you did. I do miss you, daddy."

I really felt shitty at the end of that conversation.


Standing outside of 83 Blackstone Ave., I make two cell calls: one to Al and one to Jake at the Vets Help Center.

"Could I speak to Al or Jake please?"

There is the usual thump of the dropping of the receiver, which rings in my eardrums. There is some shouting, asking if a Jake or Sil are in the Center, silence, then Jake's voice.

"This is Jake."

"Jake, Don. I just finalized the sale for the house you found. What I would like you to do is arrange for the new tenants to attended the house and explain to the furniture sales lady exactly how they would like the house to be furnished. We could have Robin Myers just furnish it, but if the guys want something special, we can do it."

"Shit! I didn't think of furniture."

"Don't feel bad, I was the same way when we bought the 'safe house, ' furniture was an afterthought. I will call Robin and tell her you will be calling her, you can set up an appointment when all of you are present at the house."

"Will do! I will call the guys right now and then call Miss Myers."


Tonight, if the plan transpires as I hope, we should know what is so important about the Moore Road property. Then, it dawns on me: I haven't talked to Detective Ray Twayne since the last shootout. I was surprised that no one complained about the noise.

"May I speak to Detective Twayne, please?"

"Hang on, I know he is around here somewhere, I am going to put you on hold."

The sounds of silence as I am listening to dead air. Then, a click.

"Twayne here, can I help you?"

"Hi Ray, what's new? We haven't chatted for a bit."

"Don, one of these days, when you are telling me the truth, you will have to tell me about J. P. Morgan and now, I hear, Mr. 'Dapper Dan' Riggs has disappeared. You couldn't shed any light on that, could you?"

"Dapper who?"

"Why did you call, Don? What are you looking for?"

"Nothing at all, just thought I would touch base. Haven't talked to you for a while. Anything of interest happening in Abbotsville?"

"Are you trying to tell me something, Don? What do you have planned that is going to cause me more headaches?"

"You will have to explain that, Ray. What headaches did I cause?"

"The compound, the gated house with the barn fire, the burning building on Cedar Street, all kinds of unexplainable things."

"I saw some of it on the news, mysterious things happen. Why would you think I could be responsible for anything like that?"

"Every time you call me something unexplainable happens. Are you giving me a heads up?"

"I really have no idea where you get those crazy ideas from. I am just a poor ex-vet trying to get by."

"Bullshit!"


The call gave me what I was looking for; there were no complaints of strange noises from Everett Mountain reported. My concern was the Barrett; the suppressor did its job. My Everett Mountain is now quiet, and clean, thanks to the number of rains since the last shoot out. My bunnies are enjoying the peace and quiet.

Eat your hearts out, you evildoers. My bunnies are safe and happy!!


It was nearly six thirty when I pulled up to The Vets Help Center, Mark and Rex were sitting in the front of the Sprinter, our little convoy proceeded to Moore Road. I backed into the still vacant house's driveway. Rex parked the Sprinter in the front. Peanut is at the back of the Suburban, setting up the drone for flight. 'The Three Musketeers' watch as the drone moves into action. The drone is now airborne; moments later, the infra-red imaging shows two perps on the main floor, one near the entrance, one in the back near a window, one on the second floor and two on the third. None are moving.

"Skip, I will open the door, I hope the hinges are oiled. You take out the first perp. Mark, as soon as Skip fires; you slip in front of him and be ready to take out the second perp."

This part actually went well! When the dart hit the first perp, he just crumpled up in his chair; the second perp, also sitting in a chair, was interested in something outside the window. Mark's dart got him in the back of the neck, he is out. Skip is reloaded and Mark is now ready. Rex and his crew are putting the restraints on the two perps and then carry them towards the entrance door. Now, in the stairway, Skip leads his rifle at the ready. Peanut has advised that the perp will be to our left, as we open the door to the second floor. Skip pushes the door open, I hear pszt, and the third perp is down.

The third floor has a different layout. Mark is standing right behind Skip.

"Mark, you heard Peanut, when I step out of the door I will go left and take out that perp, you go right and take out the last perp. If he does make a sound it won't matter he is the last man standing."

Fortunately, it goes like clockwork. The second perp was turning when the dart hit him in the chest; he had a stupid look on his face when his face slammed into the floor. We are now in full control of the unit! A noise, from behind us, had me grab for my Glock, but it is only Rex and his guys, now dragging the limp bodies of the perps to the stairway. We can hear bonk, bonk as the perp's heads hit each step.

"Okay, let's search the place. Skip, you take the second floor; Mark, check this one; I will take the main floor."

By the time I made it to the main floor, Rex and his crew had the perps all secured with the plastic restraints.

The search reveals that this is a storage unit for drugs; there is only about one hundred thousand in cash. Bricks upon bricks of drugs fill two rooms. We are going to put a dint in the drug supply for Abbotsville.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.