My Everett Mountain Retreat
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2014 by Jack Spratt

Special thanks to Phil Gorman 2015 for his expertise in editing and proofing.

My cell buzzes; the call display is 'Aker, Pete.'

"Hi Pete, what's new?"

"You're not going to like this Don. You know that guy you asked me to look out for?"

"Yes, his name is Daniel Riggs."

"He was here this morning, with a few guys; they grabbed your sister!"

"Damn it! I should have moved her to a safe house until his trial was over."

"That's not all Don, they took Jayden too."

There is a pause as I attempt to move the frog in my throat. I feel sick; then anger takes over.

"Anything else?"

"No, they drove off in a dark blue Ford van, got the licence, 840 Y2W, Michigan plates."

"Thank you, Pete, that will help?"

"Anything else?"

"They tried to grab Charlize but she outran them, then people started to gather and that's when they took off."

"Thanks, for that, please continue to keep a vigil and call me if you see anyone or anything suspicious."

"You can count on it, Don!"


I am seething! If you were taking my blood pressure reading right now I would have blown the readings off the chart! The gloves come off for Mr. Riggs, he is on my deathwatch and he doesn't know it. I was doing so well, no bodies since Christmas, but now I am so wound up I can't think straight.

I do get an email off to Bill with the plate number. I have to cool down. Shit, I am so pissed! How could I not have foreseen this possibility? Shit, shit, shit! I have the presence of mind to call Mark Cree; he, like me, is a sniper, with similar thought processes. Talking to him may make some sense out of this. I call the Vets Help Center. He is playing poker again.

"Mark here: who is this?"

"Mark, it is Don. Can you come to the cabin? Something has happened and I am hoping you can assist me."

"What is this about, Don?"

"I would appreciate if you could come and see me as soon as possible. Those damn termites are back again. I called your Uncle and he said you could handle it."

I think Mark is getting the drift that I really don't want to say much on an open line.

"Give me about an hour; I have thirty dollars riding on this pot. I'll see you shortly."

Finally, my body is starting to relax. Grabbing a cup of coffee from my spiffy machine, I sit, staring out the window. I get a horrible feeling in my gut, and then it passes. Shit, am I being paranoid? I am still looking out the window, actually seeing nothing, when the sound of Mark's car engine breaks the spell. It slowly crawls up the incline. Mark sees me, waves, and come in the cabin.

"Okay, Don what's going on? Are you in trouble?"

"Mark, you were of great assistance getting my sister back. I know just a bit how you can handle yourself. I have another problem, a very serious problem. I am going to ask you a question; your answer will determine if I tell you more."

Mark looks at me, studying my facial expressions.

"Ask away!"

"Are you up to some serious 'wet work'?"

Now I have his attention, 'wet work, ' by definition, is dead people, no holds barred, no quarter, just dead people; very dead people. It is a lot to ask of anyone, and Mark I have only known each other for a couple of months.

"Hypothetically, how many?"

"Good question, no exact answer, a low of five a max of fifty, likely more."

"You aren't kidding about this, are you?"

"Mark, I am as serious as I can be. With or without your help, there are many that will pay with their lives for the transgression against my family."

"I am in Don. What the hell has happened?"

"Riggs kidnapped my sister again!"

"Christ, I am sorry Don. I want to help."

"But, it is worse, he grabbed Jayden too."

"Again, I feel for you Don. I know how close you are to Jayden. What do you want me to do?"

"I have the plate number of the van that was used in the abduction; I am waiting for the information. The reason I didn't want to talk on the phone is I don't know if my line is bugged. My next email is to Skip then Peanut. I have a feeling Peanut's expertise will be required."

"He really surprised me, when I first saw him, he reminded me of a pimple faced kid from high school."

"Don't feel bad, I thought the same thing."

'Ping.'

"It is the email I have been waiting for. The truck belongs to D. R. Delivery; it shows an address on Cedar Street. Isn't that a warehouse area on the east side?"

"Yes, there are all kinds of small businesses located there."

"This is too easy, D. R. Delivery? Daniel Riggs, I smell a rat. Riggs may be a vicious prick but he's not stupid. He knows that whoever robbed him at Wandering Place has access to vast resources. This screams set up."

"Let's take a drive, Don; we will use my car. They may know of the Suburban because you visit your sister often."


Cedar Street is a continuous row of small businesses; welders, auto repair shops and many other entrepreneurs, including D. R. Delivery. We drove around the block, then returned from the opposite direction and parked across the street. The building has three floors; the ground floor has a small window, a passage door and a roll up door large enough to accept a good-sized cube van. There is a dim light showing on the third floor. Nothing seems to be moving.

"Mark this is just too easy. We really need Peanut and his drone. If I am going to be shot, I really don't want it to be on Rigg's terms. Let's go back to the cabin. No, better still, let's go to my sister's apartment, I can call Skip from there. I doubt if they will have her line bugged."

At my sister's apartment, we leave the car. Pete Aker is sitting on his usual bench.

"Mark, that gentleman sitting on the bench is my friend and he alerted me about the abductions. Go and talk to him, have him relate what happened; maybe a new set of ears will pick up something I didn't. I shouldn't be that long."

"Good idea. Introduce me."

With the introduction made, I head to my sister's apartment. Once inside, I search for the phone. Then I hear a slight click, someone is entering the apartment. With my hand on the Glock, I wait.

"Don, are you in here?"

It is Charlize.

"Yes, it is me, Charlize. What is wrong?"

She comes from the kitchen area and is in my arms. She is sobbing.

"I can't believe they took Jayden. What kind of people are they?"

"Not good, I plan to get Jayden and her mother back."

Her hand is at my fly, instant hard on, John Thomas reacts.

"What are you doing, Charlize?"

"What Jayden would be doing if she were here and you were looking for me. Helping you relax so you can think better."

John Thomas is enjoying the view. Charlize moves, she is now standing in front of me. She lifts her skirt, and lowers her panties, kicking them to the left. She then turns her back to me leans over the sofa, reaches back and spreads her cheeks. K. Y. Jelly glistens on her pucker.

"I watched you arrive from my window; then prepared myself. I know how much you and Jayden love this, so do I!"

Dropping my slacks and shorts, in moments John Thomas slowly penetrates Charlize's rosebud to the sounds of her moaning. Slowly the tempo is building and Charlize's moans are now more vocal, she is close; then, her anal muscles grasp John Thomas which causes a flow of sperm deep into Charlize. Her pucker continues to tighten on my shaft. What relief! Then I feel a shit and so embarrassed ... here I am with John Thomas buried in Charlize's anal passage and Jayden is still missing.

"That was so good, Don. I know Jayden would want me to keep you satisfied. We both love you."

"Thank you, Charlize. You have no idea how much frustration has been building up, and now it is all gone. Have you heard anything new?"

"No, I have been looking for anything different, but nothing."

"I have to make a couple of calls."

Charlize heads for the bathroom as I pick up the phone.

The long and the short of it? Skip and Peanut, assuming Skip can make contact with Peanut, will be here by seven tonight. His last comment is 'that g. d. trail again.' Charlize returns to the room, bright eyed and bushy tailed. With her arms around my neck, my hand, which has no couth, lifts her skirt and slides into her thong, my finger slipping into a very moist pussy. This is what makes being alive worth it. Charlize pushes her body hard against my finger, which is now teasing her clitoris. She freezes and has a thundering climax.

"Hmmm, I love that feeling Don. I wish we had the day together."

"As pleasing a thought as that is, I have to keep working on locating Jayden."

"I know ... I just wish the three of us were in bed together like old times."


Mark is waiting in his car.

"Pete is a very interesting man. If he was a bit younger, I bet he would be a great addition to our team."

"Team?"

"Band of Brothers?"

"Yes, a Band of Brothers, I wish it wasn't necessary but we have to find Jayden and my sister. Did you glean anything from Pete?"

"Nothing new. Did you know he records every vehicle that enters and stops in the neighborhood, he has the plates for all of them?"

"He told me as much."

"He says nothing out of the ordinary has happened since the abduction."

"I guess you could take that as good news. But I was hoping you would pick up something from his comments that I didn't."

"No such luck. How did you make out with Skip?"

"He and Peanut will be here by seven, assuming Skip can get in touch with Peanut."


After picking up a few supplies, we head back to the cottage. I can't help but feel anxious about Jayden. It is the not knowing that kills me. I believe in my heart she and my stupid sister are still alive, there is no plus side for Riggs to harm them. But, with that being said, Mr. Riggs and company are all on my dead man's list.

At the cottage we have lunch, enjoy a fresh cup of coffee from my spiffy coffee machine and relax. The next thing I hear is Skip's Chevy wheezing as it climbs the incline of the trail. Both Mark and I are at the door, both watching Skip as he curses the climb.

"Don't you buggers have anything better to do than watch me?"

"And hello to you too, Skip."

"Hi, Don, Mark, how are they hanging?"

That is Peanut, now at the back of the Chevy removing the cardboard carton holding the drone. I am glad to see it. Its camera will confirm my thoughts about Cedar Street.

"Don, I need a coffee, I would ask for something stronger but I am sure we will require all our senses."

"As soon as you have had some time to recharge, we are going to Cedar Street in Abbotsville to give Peanut's drone some exercise."

"What are you expecting?"

It took about twenty minutes to give Skip and Peanut an overview of what had happened since the abduction.

"The drone's images will provide the answers to my suspicions. Riggs is too smart to make finding the girls this easy."

"Don, do you know if the other hostages have been retaken?"

"No, we never asked them their names. Who would have expected this to happen?"

"Actually, we both should have thought of the possible repercussions; but, who knew someone would put up that amount of bail?"


Pulling up to the Cedar Street address, it quickly becomes apparent we can't launch the drone from the street. Even if Riggs had the dumbest guys in world guarding the building, they would notice people on the street launching a drone. Across from the building is a one story unit, and behind that unit there is a three story building, which looks abandon. Driving to the corner and turning right in the middle of the street is an alley leading to the building that may be of use to us. Parking in a small lane, it obvious the building hasn't been in use for several years. There had been a secured door on the bottom level at one time but it is now hanging on one hinge. Inside shows evidence of use for dope, wrappers are thrown haphazard everywhere. Steel safety stairs go to the second floor; it is in the same shape as the first, except there hanging on a nail on the wall is a pair of mauve bikini panties. That has me wondering just how desperate the young lady had to be for sex. We climb to the third floor, then to the roof. We have a perfect view of 93 Cedar Street, the roof is clear. This roof doesn't appear to have had anyone here for some time. It is an excellent place to launch the drone.

Peanut is now in control as the propellers of the drone wind up and it moves upwards. Watching the screen of his laptop, when the drone is over the building there is a click and the infrared is engaged. Shit, it is just as I thought; there are numerous heat signatures at every window. It is a trap or a well-guarded secure building. And with each signature there is a strip of black.

"Peanut, do you have any idea what those black strips represent?"

"My guess is each of the heat signatures is carrying pieces of pipe, or perhaps rifles; I would go with the latter."

The place is a killing zone, but why? There has to be more here than meets the eye. Riggs is certainly involved with something or has those soldiers guarding something, but what? And why lead me here? I am still not sure if he knows who will be coming after the girls, but he abducted them for some reason!

"I don't see anything like a secure room with people. All the bodies are moving and all are close to windows like they are watching. They seem to be waiting for someone to try and breach the building."

Whatever they are guarding, it is not the girls; it is a delivery services, guards, mean dope, cash or all kinds of things valuable. We don't need to be here; but, once the girls are safe we may come back.

"Let's get out of here. This is not what we want. Those men are guarding something but not my sister and Jayden."

It is quiet on the way back to the cottage; my mind is tossing to and fro trying to come up with an explanation as to why Riggs would take Rayne and Jayden who have no recourses. Then, in a flash, a possibility comes to me.

Riggs knows, someone with a helluva lot of resources, set up the scene at 47 Wandering Place and then robbed him. He too has resources, and we know he attempted to recruit Vets with Special Forces background; he likely has eyes and ears at the Vet Help Center, a mole. Those eyes and ears could have reported my visits to the Vets and my friendship with Mark. Just a bit of research would bring out the fact that the girls and I have the same last name, thus are possibly related, minor research would confirm that as a fact. He wouldn't come after me directly, as by now he knows what my profession in the services was, and it was not a litter barer. He took my sister and Jayden as bargaining chips to get his fortune back or set me up for a kill as a reminder to others not to fuck with Mr. Riggs. The dope he has to write off as it is in possession of the authorities. It wouldn't surprise me that Jayden and her mom were the only ones abducted. I will find that son of bitch!

Back at the cottage, we four are enjoying a fresh cup of java from my spiffy new machine, as I elaborate my opinion to the group. The more I think of it the more nothing I come up with. The rest of the group remain silent. No help there!

The monitor connected to the monitoring cameras is blinking. A quick review of each camera tripped reveals my bunnies are back doing their job, despite some of my diabolical reader's suggestions!!

"Mark is there anyone at the Vet Help Center that may fit the bill as source of information for Riggs's crew. It could be anyone giving an unknown someone info the mole may consider useless info for a few bucks. Some Vets could be stretched for spending money; someone offering a C-note for a bit of info is easy pickings."

Mark's in deep thought; Peanut is playing the T. V. remote control, he's bored. Reception on the top of this mountain maybe good but is no hell with rabbit ears.

"Don, nobody comes to mind. Tomorrow, when I visit, I'll take an in-depth look at the group; I can't see anyone knowingly give any of Riggs stooges anything. I will ask Barry White, he knows a lot more about the Vets then I do. He may be our best bet."

"We need a lead, the more I think about it, the angrier I get and that doesn't help with a solution. We may have to consider expanding our little group of merry makers, anyone have any suggestion, only ex-military or ex-law enforcement, but nobody who can't stand the sight of blood."

Mark pipes up.

"Don, I have two guys in mind, one for sure if he is agreeable."

"What makes you so sure he would be a good addition?"

"He has a tattoo on his right forearm, 'Without Warning, Without Remorse.' That should at least qualify him for an interview."

That is one of the logos snipers around the world have used. I can't think of anyone dumb enough to use that without having sniper experience. He could be a candidate.

"His name?"

"Believe it or not, he goes by Sil, could be short for silent. I don't know his real name, all I know is he is a poor poker player."

"And the other?"

"I know him as Jake, Jake Chambers, another poker player; he is an ex-Paratrooper, built like a brick shithouse, strong as an ox. He also has a tattoo on his right forearm, 'Absent Companions, Never Forgotten!' I have seen him lift two men by their shirts straight up off the floor. They started a fight at the Vets Center, he ended it. He walked them out of the front door and tossed them on the street, and I mean tossed, one broke his arm the other looks like someone had hit him on the face with a shovel. They never caused a ruckus again. Usually he is a quiet person, not a bad poker player."

The first thing that comes to mind is the Barrett, possibly this Jake was ordnance man, sounds perfect. I can hope.

"You have any question Skip, Peanut?"

Peanut looks up at the mention of his name, obviously he hadn't been following the conversation, Skip just nods his head no.

"Okay Mark, talk to them when you visit Barry. If you can get both of them to come at the same time, it would be great."

"Anything you need for the cabin, I can pick it up when I return."

Now that gets Peanuts attention.

"Mark, can up pick me up some M & M's and some potato chips?"

"Not a problem, Peanut. Don, I will call you if they are willing to come."

Mark leaves with a list of groceries.


I am still coming up empty on ideas where Riggs has the girls; I also haven't had a ransom demand, which should have come by now, assuming Riggs believes it was me that arrange his home invasion. What is Riggs up too? Since he is out on bail, Ray Twayne should know where he is holed up. I can't tell him, we were responsible for Riggs exposure, Twayne is not stupid; he would quickly realize there was more than dope in the house, the police are likely very curious why the strong room was empty except for the radioactive rock chips. Actually unless one of the hostages came forward and reported the abduction to the police, they really don't know anything about the abductees.


"Peanut, is there any way you and your bag of technical tricks can determine if my line is bugged?"

"I can do better than that, if it is bugged, I can send a signal that will fuck up the listening device."

"Please check, I have to make a few calls and really don't want Riggs or his goons listening."

We watch Peanut remove the cord from the telephone, plug into his notebook and do his magic, his fingers flying over the keyboard. He looks at me with a satisfied grin on his face.

"One listening device is toast and if it was connected to a recorder of some type it is also toast. There is someone with the bad guys who is very good, but I am better. I will check again this evening."

"What about cells?"

"It depends on how many people actually have your number and who calls you, most cells are not listed. Give it to me."

We watch Peanut grab a funny looking cable out of his grab bag, He has a large collection of goodies in there. One end he plugs into my phone the other to his laptop.

"Son of a bitch, these bastards are good. Someone has mirrored your cell."

Shit, they must know Pete Acker is my source; I will have to call him.

"Kiss one cell goodbye; I just over loaded its memory causing the battery to seriously overheat and start smoldering. They won't be able to recover anything from it."

Peanut runs Skips cell but nothing on his, the same for his own.

"Can you run a search for bugs on other phones?"

"Yes, if they are regular lines."

"Could you run my sisters?"

"That shouldn't be a problem."

Giving him the number, all we do is watch his fingers fly over the keyboard; then he looks up.

"Clean."

"Can I use the land line now?"

"Sure, it will take the bad guys at least an hour to realize everything on their end is toast. As I said, I will run my test again tonight."


It takes ten minutes for the operator to track down Ray Twayne; he is in the building, but moving around. I heard three phones answered each one advising where Ray is headed. Finally he is reached.

"Twayne here."

"Ray, it's Don Johnson, you have a couple of minutes?"

"For you of course, what do you need?"

"What makes you think I need something?"

"You call me for two reasons: to give info or to ask me info. Which is it today?"

"Do you have any idea where Riggs is holed up?"

"I am not going to ask you why you want to know, gives me deniability. Believe it or not, he is back at 47 Wandering Place, the investigation there is finished. The place is a mess; the hazmat team tore up three rooms and found nothing. But, you know that don't you? Sorry, I didn't ask that question."

"I assume you have it under surveillance?"

"That you have right. Anything else?"

"Would you tell me what other properties Riggs owns in the city and area, or those he controls but has his goons claiming ownership?"

"That is a long list, I don't know what he lost in the commotion that happened at Wandering Place, but it wouldn't put a dint in his fortune, all ill-gotten of course, but I didn't say that."

"But, you have a list, don't you? I would appreciate it."

"Give me your email address. I'll send you a file. But remember: you have no idea where it came from."

"Thanks Ray, I owe you."

"Good, you can tell me where Leroy Rush is, the truth this time."

"I told you the truth: he is visiting his mother."

"But you know his mother is dead, right?"

"As I said, he is visiting his mother."

"What you're saying is he is dead?"

"What I said is, he is visiting his mother. I will be waiting for the file."


It took twenty minutes before 'the ping' sounded the arrival of a new email. It is from Ray. One thing he didn't lie about is the length of the list; five pages of small print each line an address. He wasn't kidding: Riggs controls a lot of property.

"Hey, guys, this is a list of properties Riggs owns or controls through dummy corps. Take a look."

They range from small residential to massive commercial properties. It is going to take some time to narrow it down. We need someone who knows Abbotsville; some of the properties are not hidey places but which ones? My cell rings, it is Mark.

"Don, I have Jake and Sil with me, both are interested. I didn't tell them much, both aren't worried about the sight of blood as long as it isn't their own! We should be there in thirty minutes, have to stop for groceries. And we may have a lead on the mole, Barry was helpful."

"We will be waiting for you. Can you pick up a couple of pizzas and some chicken; it may be a long afternoon."


The sound of Mark's engine, off in the distance, foretold of his actually crawling up the incline. Skip and I watched his assent.

"See Skip, you don't have to swear to get up the slight incline."

"Slight my ass! Everybody knows you have a screw loose, why else would you live with the eagles and a bunch of bunnies?"

We watch as Mark leads two men to the door, one appears to be a walking tank. That must be Jake; the other has to be Sil, moves like a cat, eyes moving back and forth as he takes in the surroundings. Sniper! They join us in the eating area.

"Don, Skip, the walking monster is Jake; the silver haired devil is Sil. Gentlemen, this is Don our leader, and Skip his driver. Please don't ask Skip what he thinks of that slight hill we just climbed."

"Small hill? You two are so full of it! Don is on my case and now you?"

"Gentlemen, welcome, how much did Mark tell you?"

Sil answers.

"Not much, he mentioned something about the possibility of shedding some blood; both Jake and I aren't against that, as long as it is someone else's."

"I will give you an abbreviated version of what happened and what I expect the results will be. Then you can make up your minds to join or leave our little group."

It took me the better part of an hour to run through what has happened, ending with the fact that it was my sister and niece who were abducted, and I have a very personal reason to seek revenge. After my spiel I made coffee, giving them time to digest the information and ask questions. Jake responded first!

"Now, what I gather, you intend to find your siblings and do the bad guys harm."

I look at Sil, and he nods in agreement.

"I'm in, what next?"

"Thank you for joining our little group. I want you to understand, without any doubt, some of us may not make it, but I can assure you many will be down before we are. This is a fact. Now do you have any qualms? Once we start this, there is no turning back. Do either of you have close family?"

Both nod in the negative.

"Okay, this is what I would like: first, is to find and rescue my sister and niece and make sure they are safe and away from any harm. Next, is to do as much damage to Riggs's organization and people, to render them harmless without prejudice. I would like to ravish his assets, and spread his wealth to the world. Mind you, he should not be around to object. Questions?"

"Now what?"

"First, introductions: I am Don Johnson, this is John 'Skip' Watson, the fellow you see playing with the laptop is Greg Ross, affectionately called Peanut; don't let his looks fool you. Mark you know and you?"

"Jake Chambers."

That was the walking mountain.

"Silver R. Lake, but call me Sil."

"My first question to you both, do either of you know Abbotsville, what I mean by that is areas where the girls may be held, I am assuming they are alive."

"Explain what you mean."

Sil is looking at me, his question.

"I have a large listing of properties that Riggs owns or controls; one of them could be it."

Jake holds up his hand.

"Before the services, I worked for the city on the garbage haulers. I have a good knowledge of the city."

"That's a start. Here are the lists, what I would like you to do first is eliminate any that you feel are not what we are looking for."

Jake starts his review of the five printed pages; Peanut has more copies which he hands to Mark and Sil. Jake asks for a highlighter. He starts marking various addresses. Mark is now doing the same thing. Me? I haven't got the foggiest, so I can't contribute. Sil reviewed the five pages and also asked for a marker. This may go better than I thought. Skip and I refresh our coffees.

It takes the better part of an hour to eliminate about three pages of addresses, many were residential houses in middle class subdivisions; thus constant activities would draw attention to them; that is the last thing our perps want.

Another group were retail shops, in large malls; again, moving hostages to and fro would cause unwanted interest. The rest were potentials. We narrowed the balance to eleven good potentials, most were estates with sprawling landscapes, multi garages, and service people constantly moving about. A couple more bodies moving about wouldn't cause any interest as long as they weren't screaming.

"We are going to split up into two groups, and locate all the addresses, do a recon on every property, just drive byes. Use binoculars, what we are looking for is a well-guarded building. They won't be standing in the open, look at the windows, if we are lucky one of us will spot an armed guard. Check the security fence; look for monitor cameras, razor wire or anything suspicious. Good hunting. And another thing, don't get caught!"

Jake and Peanut came with me; I wanted the advantage of the drone, assuming we could use it without drawing attention to ourselves. The first two on our list were duds, both were in the open, no security; one had five kids playing in the yard; the other was sporting a 'For Rent' sign. I wrote down the number of the agent.

The third one had our interest, it was surrounded by a hedge of cedars, high enough you couldn't see into the yard. Looking through binoculars revealed a chain link fence behind the cedars, about six feet in height, and above the fence were three thin wires stretched from post to post, a monitoring system of some type or old fashioned electric fence. The driveway was no help, it was on the corner of the property, and you had to drive about fifty feet with a sharp turn to your right, we couldn't see the building. I was looking at the driveway, swearing at the designer when I noticed a poured cement section. That struck me as odd, such a short section cemented and the rest paved. Using the binoculars, I found a split in the concrete; they have a fucking tire shredder embedded in the driveway. We may have found our building!

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.