Silas
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

The coffee was good. We both drank our coffee without additives. Sharon kicked off her shoes and sat in a big easy chair. She pointed to the sofa close to it and I sat down.

"Thanks to your son and his girl friend, I probably know more about you than you would normally expect to reveal on a first date, particularly a blind one."

"When did you make the connection?"

"At the airport. There aren't many men named, Silas. Your card confirmed it because I knew my date was from Tifton.

"Silas, what would you like to know? I know so much about you from your son and Chan. I think they plan to marry, by the way."

"I hope so. Chan's a fine girl. I know her parents, too. They have raised her well."

"She loves you just like you were her parent. Both of them love you deeply and respect you greatly. Back to my question, what do you want to know?"

I grinned. "If you met the requirements, I know a lot about you already but don't know how you arrived where you are in life. I wouldn't guess there are many women with doctorates in physics in the world. I would bet that the beautiful, younger ones are even rarer."

She chuckled. "Thanks for the compliment. I think I have held up pretty well. You know I'm between thirty-five and forty-five. To be specific, it's thirty-eight. I was married for a year when I graduated from college. We were young and it worked for a while until he wanted to pursue a doctorate and was accepted to a college in Colorado. I was at the University of Florida and in the middle of my master's program. We realized that we cared more for our academic careers than for each other. We had no property and no fault divorced. Since then, it's been lonely but busy. I thought it would be better after my doctorate but two things get in the way. One is 'publish or perish.' The other is that I am not interested in being a trophy either temporarily or permanently."

She sighed. "I've worked hard to get where I am. I will not throw it away. I don't meet many people outside of colleges and church. My church friends are great but there aren't many men who would interest me and who are available. Chan and Jim described you in such glowing terms that I became curious. I didn't want to be a dead cat."

I smiled. "You definitely look alive so satisfaction must have saved your life. I hope I'm not too much a disappointment. I don't walk on water and my feet are definitely made of clay."

"At least it's not raining outside." We laughed together.

She said, "I am an associate professor with tenure now. That has eased up some of the pressure though I have become known and speak at conferences and other professional events. The heat never stops though I know I bring most of it on myself. It hasn't left much time for anyone."

I said, "I would like to see you and I will return tomorrow at eight. Are you cooking or should we go out?"

"I am a great cook and don't get much chance to show it off. We are eating here. Then, we'll find something to do."

I had finished my coffee. "Sharon, I'll say 'good night.' I had a good time and am looking forward to tomorrow."

She smiled. "Si, I enjoyed the evening, too. Your children, all four of them, are marvelous. Their father is a good guy, too."

I stood. "Thank you. Until tomorrow?"

She stood and walked me to the door. "I look forward to it." I started out. She said, "I want at least what Chan gets from you." I took her in my arms and kissed her lips lightly. She hugged me tightly. I left for the hotel and sleep, per chance, to dream.

In the morning, I was at her door promptly at eight, freshly scrubbed and wearing jeans and a pull-over three-button shirt. She opened the door when I rang the bell. She gave my cheek a kiss and my neck a hug. She pulled me in and I followed her into the kitchen.

She said, "Good morning. I'm making an omelet with some of everything in it, whole wheat toast, and coffee. I hope that is satisfactory."

"Good morning to you, Sharon. That will be more than satisfactory. How can I help?"

"How are your toast and buttering skills?"

"They are pretty good."

"Great! I want two pieces and you may make as many as you want." She pointed. "Toaster, bread, and butter are right there and ready for you." She grinned. "Have you heard from your children yet?"

"Not yet. I figure they are about two hours from waking."

"Chan and Jim are having breakfast in the cafeteria. She called me. I invited them for supper tonight. I told them to come here around seven." She paused. "Unless you object."

"No objection from me. I enjoy having them around. They are fun to be around and to watch. You know that they've been going together since middle school?"

"That's what Chan said. It's a long time to date."

"Rich and Barbara, her parents, want her to finish college before they marry. I don't know if they will make it beyond this year. They seem to have a genuine attachment and a great relationship."

"That they do. They made a very persuasive duo when they approached me."

"I wonder how long it will take for you to see through their tissue of exaggerations."

"It depends upon how much they exaggerated. So far, I like what I'm finding. How's the toast coming?"

"The last piece should be out in seconds."

"Good the omelet's ready." She began to serve two plates while I buttered the final piece. I got up and freshened our coffee. We sat down together. "Would you ask a blessing?"

"Sure." I did.

She said, "I saw you do it silently last night. Your children wouldn't have been bothered if you had prayed out loud."

"At the time, I didn't know what your position would be."

She smiled. "You don't remember your own requirements. You wanted your children's victim to be a Christian."

"I hope you don't feel too victimized." I chuckled.

"No, Si. I don't do victim well and I hope you are enjoying our time together. I know that I am."

"I am, too. This omelet is wonderful!"

"I'm glad you like it. Maybe you'll have breakfast here in the future."

"Any time that I'm invited."

"I bet you say that to all the women you pick up at the airport." We grinned at each other. After breakfast, we left in my car for a tour. We went north up I-75 before taking a side road. Crossing Allatoona Lake got us to stop and wander around there. It's a beautiful view. We went from there to the Etowah Indian Mounds and then New Echota outside of Cartersville. We ate lunch in Cartersville having chili dogs at a small diner that was well-known in the area. The chili dogs were good and I enjoyed watching the people looking at Sharon.

She may not be a trophy but was an altogether beautiful woman who was happy. Her attitude made her even more attractive than she otherwise might be. I was proud to be with her. After touring New Echota, we headed back to get back in plenty of time for supper with Chan and Jim.

Sharon needed the time to cook. On the way back, I stopped at a wine shop and pulled her in to help me pick out a wine to go with our meal. I bought two bottles. She chuckled that I was planning to get her drunk and take advantage of her. I laughed and said, "Maybe we will take advantage of each other." I smiled then and said, "Actually, I'm just happy with today and don't want it to end until late tonight. My motel room will be lonely."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.