The Viscounts Daughter - Cover

The Viscounts Daughter

Copyright© 2014 by Texrep

Chapter 11: Richard

A month after the euphoria of being at Buckingham Palace we were grounded. We were well into the second series of 'A detective called Grantham' when Ashley left the set to take a phone call. Fifteen minutes later she came out and told the crew to pack up for the day. She then caught my eye with a sideways nod of her head. She mouthed, "Office."

I joined her in the office and could see from her expression that this was serious. "What's going on, Ashley?"

"John has buggered off to the States again. It would appear he was funding this himself and now he has run out of money. He had a loan with his house as collateral. However it seems that he had already had a loan on his property. The Banks are are a little angry and they are after him for their money. Luckily for us the debt was his personally. Even so we're fucked. Only half of the series in the can. ITV will not fund us to finish the series so none of us will be paid. The only thing I can think is that we try to get funding from somewhere else. Any ideas?"

I had to confess that I had none. "Sorry, Ashley my mind is blank."

"I have to go and talk to the crew." Her face showed how much she was not looking forward to that task.

"Do you want me to come with you?"

"Thanks for the offer, Richard, but as an associate producer I think it something that I have to do. If I am not back in ten minutes say a prayer for me over my coffin." I laughed even though her trying to be humorous failed totally.

The interview was not such an ordeal as she thought. The Union representative understood that the problem was not hers and thanked her for stepping up. He accepted her promise to try for new funding and that if she was successful she would pay the crew their wages. In the car driving back to Broughley we thought of ways to get the funding. "I could come up with something like a couple of million, Ashley."

She thought about that. "That's good of you, Richard. I could probably come up with the same amount, but that would be a drop in the ocean. We need at least fifteen million to finish and even then that would appear like an amateur production. We need at least twenty to do the series justice; I doubt that you and I would be paid until the series is sold. I am worried about Meera. Her resident permission depends on this production. If it folds she would be asked to leave."

"I suspect she would be alright. You know she is seeing that editor, Andrew."

"I probably know more about that than you do. Meera told me that she is very fond of him, and she stays with him whenever we are at Elstree. They would be good together, he told me that his grandmother was Indian, so he has the culture ingrained."

"And I thought he just had a good tan." I remarked sarcastically.

Our nearest and dearest were surprised when we arrived back in Broughley. After Ashley reprised the morning they started to understand, yet we were no closer to a plan until the Viscount threw in one of his short, blunt statements. "Talk to Charles Anstruther."

My first thought was that this was a non-starter and Andrea felt that way too. "I can't see him helping. I mean if he finds out that Rich is involved. Well..." Andrea offered doubtfully.

"Why?" Ben replied. "Have you any evidence to believe that Anstruther knows that Richard is the man with whom you cheated? Anstruther is a money man. If someone offers him an opportunity to make money, he will look at it. That's his business. I doubt that personalities would come into any decision he may make."

The argument went on for quite some time, eventually ending when Ashley determined to keep this production going made a decision. "I'll call him. I will make no mention of Andrea and Richard. If he can find us funding, I'll deal with the Devil if I have to." Andrea reluctantly gave her Anstruthers' office number and Ashley used Ben's home office to make the call. It was fifteen minutes of waiting on tenterhooks when she came back.

"Well?" I asked.

"Odd." Ashley seemed stunned. "The first thing he said after introduced myself was to ask how Andrea and Charlotte were. Then he asked after Ben. That put me on the back foot and I forgot how I had planned to make my pitch. Eventually I got it out and he said that he was very busy this week, but could I call on him at home on Saturday to discuss my proposal. I asked what time would be convenient and he said any time in the morning would suit him. Then he threw me. He asked if you, Richard and Andrea would come as well."

"Oh shit!" I muttered. "He knows."

"Don't think the worst, Richard." Ben admonished me. "Of course he knows you are Andrea's husband, but knowing that you cuckolded him, probably not."

"I think we are wasting our time." I was quite demoralized.

Ashley shook her head. "No we aren't. It's possible that he wants to see Andrea again and ask after Charlie. As Ben said he is a businessman and I agree with him that as a businessman he would not allow personal differences get in the way of a good deal. Anyway I am the producer and you, Richard are merely the hired man." She smiled sweetly to soften the barb.

Despite the re-assurances from Ben and Ashley my mood as I drove to London that Saturday was one of trepidation. I knew Bloomsbury yet needed Andrea's guide to find the house. Ashley had left Broughley on the Thursday as she had to get documents and copies of letters of intent to show Charles. She stayed in her flat and made her own way by taxi to meet us there. I had never met Charles Anstruther and my impression of him was from the picture that Andrea had painted. I had no need to change my view after meeting him. The housekeeper opened the door. Andrea greeted her in a friendly manner, but Mrs. Hoskins maintained a dour visage. "If you will wait, I will see if Mr. Anstruther is ready to see you." The words delivered in a flat tone that offered no welcome whatsoever. She marched off to advise Charles of our arrival.

"Well she hasn't changed." Andrea told us sotto voce.

Ashley giggled. "She would do well as the housekeeper in 'Jane Eyre'." That comment relaxed me a little. Mrs. Hoskins re-appeared and asked us to follow her. Andrea, of course knew where we would be seen by Charles and almost overtook Mrs. Hoskins who looked askance at the impertinence.

Charles Anstruther waited for us in the drawing room. He stood and welcomed us. "Andrea! How good to see you again." He proffered his hand for Andrea to shake. I was bemused. Of course Andrea was a divorced wife, but most men would still have given that ex-wife a kiss on the cheek. "Miss Marne, it is good to see you again." He shook her proffered hand and finally he turned to me. "Mr. Leigh. I am pleased that you have taken up my invitation." He didn't offer me his hand. Actually I hadn't thought he would; nor did I think that it had been an invitation. Charles was all businesslike. In short order we were all sitting down and Mrs. Hoskins, as if she was waiting appeared with coffee. "Now, Miss Marne tell me about this problem I may be able to solve?"

"Perhaps, Mr. Anstruther we could go somewhere private?" Ashley suggested. "This is a business proposition and neither Mr. Leigh nor Mrs. Leigh are principles in the production." I smiled inwardly. Ashley, obviously was not going to be on the back foot.

"Yes, yes of course." Charles stumbled getting that out. "However as you approached me, hoping that my connection with Andrea would help..." He left that hanging in the air. A little threat that it was his way or no way.

"As you wish, Mr. Anstruther." Ashley flashed her famous smile.

She went on to lay out the problem, saying little about John Lilman and his vanishing act. She explained that the first series had been well received and that ITV had made their wish to air the second series clear with a letter of intent. Charles listened intently nodding from time to time. "May I ask, Miss Marne. How much did ITV pay for the first series?" Ashley flicked through her papers and showed Charles the details and the clause should the series be repeated. His eyebrows lifted. "I am surprised. How well did the series do?"

Again Ashley searched through her file and produced the statistics from the Broadcasters Audience Research Board. "As you can see the first episode brought in some four million viewers, then it climbed through the second episode and with episode four through to six it stabilised at nine million. ITV confirmed that advertisers were very eager for slots so much so that ITV changed the scheduling from one and a half hours to two hours to get more advertising slots." She delved into her file again and produced another page. "This is the proposed fee for the second series. We will receive a down payment when ITV accept the series and staged payments as the six episodes are aired."

Charles studied the facts, nodding his head as he understood the situation. "Hmm. I see that ITV will have the rights to both series."

"Yes. However if they decide re-run both series or release them on DVD we will be in receipt of royalties."

"Are yes. I have just read down to that paragraph. How quickly will they air the second series, should it be accepted.?"

"They will probably wait for the autumn scheduling."

"I see." He nodded. "I am surprised, Miss Marne that you haven't been able to find funding. This looks like a solid investment. You said little about Mr. Lilman. Is that the problem?"

"I learned about John Lilman on Monday this week. We have three episodes finished and in editing. I have all the crew and the actors standing by. If I had to go to a bank they would take weeks if not months to make a decision; and in that time the crew and the actors will probably have gone elsewhere."

Charles thought for a few minutes his face wrinkled in concentration. Then his face cleared. "Yes, Miss Marne. I have sources of Venture Capital. I am sure I can get you funding within four or five days." He hesitated and then went on. "I will take your word that Mr. Lilman is no longer involved with the production My sources would withdraw if that was the case."

"He's absconded to the USA."

Charles nodded. "May ask if you yourself are taking a part of the risk?"

"Yes. I will taking some of the risk." Ashley looked at me and I nodded. "As will Mr. Leigh. Together and equally we will be taking around seven and a half percent."

Charles looked at me in surprise. "Forgive me for asking, Mr. Leigh. Are you good for your investment?"

"If not, Mr. Anstruther I would not have pledged." I answered coldly.

"No, no. Of course. Please forgive me for being impertinent. I had little knowledge of the business you work in. Since agreeing to meet Miss Marne I have made some research. I was amazed that your film 'Scorn' took something like sixty million pounds in the first ten days, not including the receipts in India which I would imagine will probably exceed that amount, given the population and their cinema-going habits. Sufficient receipts though that the film has recovered its production costs in little more than two months. That is the sort of return my resources approve." He turned to Ashley. "I will call you on Monday, I have no doubt that the funds will be offered, but I have to make absolutely certain."

"Thank you, Mr. Anstruther." The Marne smile lit up the room.

"No, thank you Miss Marne. You have given me an opportunity to expand my investment area."

Andrea and Ashley wanted to make themselves comfortable before we left. She simply said to Charles that she was going to wash her hands. Ashley nodded. "I'll join you."

I would have waited in the reception hall, but Charles forestalled that. "A word, if you would humour me, Mr. Leigh."

"Of course."

"I have to thank you, Mr. Leigh, or perhaps I could call you Richard."

"Richard is fine."

"I thank you for taking care of Charlotte. From reports from the school she is getting on well, and I believe that you have much input into that. I am also in your debt as it appears that Charlotte is continuing in the facade that you are her stepfather. It must gall you to not be able to tell the truth."

"The truth?" I had an idea where this was going.

"Andrea went down to Devon for a holiday when I was away on business. Nine months later she delivered Charlotte. I have been made aware that the hotel she booked and paid, rarely saw her. I have also been made aware that you have a cottage quite close by, and it seems that you were there at that time. Do I go on?"

"You are doing fine so far. What else have you discovered?"

"That you grew up in Broughley as did Andrea."

"I see. So are you about to take your pound of flesh?"

"Not at all, Richard. Getting involved in ugly scenes or Civil Court cases is not good for business. No I am asking that you continue the facade. I believe that you not being able to claim Charlotte as your real daughter will be punishment enough; although I am not seeking punishment. So please let us continue in the facade. It allows me a little pride and of course Charlotte will benefit from my estate in time."

I stretched out my hand. "I can live with that, Charles. There will be no word from me to suggest anything else."

Charles didn't seem eager to shake my hand but overcame his inhibition. "Thank you. Perhaps you would allow Andrea and Charlotte to call from time to time."

"I am not her gaoler. I will suggest to Andrea that a visit would be welcomed." I was preparing to leave when something stopped me. "Tell me. This was fourteen years ago, how did you get this information."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.