The Viscounts Daughter - Cover

The Viscounts Daughter

Copyright© 2014 by Texrep

Chapter 10: Andrea

I was so happy to give Rich a son and in another aspect give my father a male descendant. He never made much fuss about being a Viscount; saying that it came by having the right parentage and that was pure chance. However I knew that deep down he wanted the title to remain in his bloodline. My cousin, Roger had dined out for years anticipating his becoming a Viscount, plonking his arse on the red leather seat in the House of Lords and of course accepting the attendance money. I hoped that he didn't starve now that he wouldn't succeed to the title.

Christmas at Broughley was overshadowed by the arrangements of Christopher's christening. The only place of worship in Broughley was a Wesleyan Chapel. Our family was not religious but the title carried the onus of pretending to be Church of England. Therefore the christening would take place at Hereford Cathedral. Again the title brought with it the attendance of the great and the good in Herefordshire and Gloucestershire. Those personages included the Lord Lieutenants of both counties and the Lord Mayors of both Cities. That also incurred the duty of a reception for which the Viscount would have to pay. For days daddy went around grumbling at the expense to anyone who would stand still long enough to listen. Rich had offered to cover the expense much to daddy's pretended ire. "I'm the bloody Viscount around here, and it is because I am a Viscount that this damn performance is necessary." Rich left it to him.

Of course the press were there. The christening of a grandson to a Viscount would not usually bring them out. However the attendance of two well known actors and one upcoming star was enough for them to descend like locusts. Rich looked scrumptious in his morning suit, he seemed to be comfortable in whatever costume he wore. I had to laugh when he put on his grey top hat, he wore it a rakish angle and jokingly suggested he should wear a monocle as well. However top hats were carried more often than worn. Ashley wore a lovely dress in Apricot and a very wide-brimmed hat. Meera of course wore a saree and I wore a suit of pale blue and a cloche hat of the same colour. Charlie became a girl for the christening forgoing her usual jeans and sweatshirt in favour of a very pretty frock and two inch heels. She had complained bitterly about getting all dressed up until Rich sat down and persuaded her: She would do almost anything for her dad. I was the mother of the child yet I felt overshadowed by these beautifully dressed celebrities. Ashley made certain that we all featured in the photographs by refusing to pose for the cameras alone. Perhaps I imagined it but daddy seemed to have featured in quite a few with Ashley. Twenty-four hours later life returned to normal. I had my husband in my bed and he took me out of my mind yet again.

Rich had been to many of the awards ceremonies although he had never featured as a contender. Since we had been together he had regretfully declined such invitations. His reasoning was that first he would not be receiving an award and was conscious of my worry that our appearing in public together may alert Charles to who was Charlie's father. The invitation to the Bafta awards that came through the post could not be easily declined. He was in the running for his portrayal of Basil, even though it hadn't been released in the UK as yet. I suggested that he escorted Ashley or Meera to the ceremony. He didn't like that idea. "Andrea, you are my wife, I hate the idea that you should always be in the shadows. Will Charles even see any pictures? You have said that he never reads anything apart from the business pages."

"He doesn't." I confirmed.

"Well even if he did what will he think? Does he expect you to live your life alone and celibate? The fact that we are together doesn't mean that automatically I am Charlie's father." He countered.

"You're probably right, Rich. However I would still feel uneasey if I went with you."

"If you are set against it, I will not go." He appeared adamant.

"You must go, darling. It's important for you." I pleaded with him.

"I will not go without you. I am not ashamed of loving you and being married to you. I am not that important in the industry to garner rumours. If by any chance Charles did read about it, what can he deduct? Not much at all. Anyway, Ashley will be there and Charles knows that you became friends at that Reception. He could conclude that Ashley introduced us and we got together."

I gave in. "Ok. But I shall have to have a new dress." My Lord and Master can persuade me to anything, but he has to learn there is an account to pay.

I shouldn't have worried. With Ashley and Meera both dressed to kill, I was almost ignored. Rich got a lot of attention, although the mood amongst the luvvies was of surprise. That this actor, known for swashbuckling historical films and television series could give a performance good enough to be considered for an award. They must have been happy that Rich didn't get the award; after all that would upset the accepted standards.

Easter was late that year which was blessing as the climate suddenly decided to grant us a mini summer. Our little family together with Charlie and Meera descended on the cottage to enjoy this warm weather. Mrs. Warren was delighted to meet our son and cooed and clucked happily, nearly forgetting her duties. I had warned Rich that with Charlie in the party nude bathing should not be on the menu. He was good as gold until Ashley arrived surprising all of us. "I have asked Richard many times if I could come down. He has always said yes, but never discussed a time. So I decided that I would come anyway as I have these scripts for Meera and Richard." She then threw the scripts to Richard and Meera. "ITV have commissioned a second series, and increased the budget, so we all get a better package. We start filming in June."

Mrs. Warren was worried about accommodation. The Cottage had three guest bedrooms. Rich and I had one with Christopher in a cot. Meera had a bedroom to herself and Charlie had taken the third. I worried who we could ask to share, when Charlie in a matter of fact way said, Ashley could share with her. "We shared in India without a problem." She grinned. "And Ashley has some really naughty tales to tell."

Worriedly I looked at Rich and then Ashley. "Don't worry, Andrea. I would never talk about Richard." Ashley assured me.

"Spoilsport!" Our daughter responded.

It worked well until Ashley and Charlie decided to join Rich in his morning swim. Charlie was disappointed that her father was wearing trunks.

Ashley waited until Rich came to the end where they were waiting. "I thought you swam nude, Richard?"

"Not when my daughter is here." He explained.

Ashley looked at Charlie, who nodded. "Well we are going to swim anyway." With that they both shucked the robes they were wearing and slipped into the pool with not a single item of clothing between them. Rich later told me that he nearly drowned. He in astonishment had taken a mouthful of water and coughed and coughed trying to get his breath back.

I came across this tableau when I wandered down with Christopher in my arms, he had to have his nappy (diaper) changed before he could go anywhere. Rich was coming up the steps which led down to the pool. "Have you had your swim already?" I asked him.

"No. I was swimming when Ashley and Charlie decided to join me. When you get down to the pool you will understand why I cannot stay in the pool."

"Why? Are they being cheeky or something."

"In a way they are. You asked me not to swim in the nude when Charlie was here. Did you ask Charlie for the same?"

"No. I didn't think it was necessary."

"I think you should have." He retorted and continued up the steps.

Alarmed I went down as quickly as possible. I waited on the tiled area for Ashley and Charlie to return to the end where I stood. As they closed the gap I understood why Rich left. "Hello Mum." A very wet and very naked daughter hailed me.

"Hello Daughter. You do realise that you have upset your father, don't you?"

"Why? Because I am swimming in the nude."

"Exactly."

"Mum. When you were at Cirencester did you swim in the pool there?"

"Yes."

"And because it is a girl's school with no men around, did you swim naked."

"All the girls did."

"The only man here is daddy. Now I know when he is here, he swims in the nude, and you and Meera have joined him nude as well. So what is different if Ashley and I swim in the nude as well? He won't look upon me with lustful eyes, and I certainly won't look at him in the same way. Where's the problem?"

I had no answer to that. Ashley had listened quietly to our exchange. "It's my fault, Andrea. I suggested it and didn't think it would upset you and Richard. Sorry."

"No need. It was me. I suppose I have remnants of the prude about me. Tomorrow we will all swim 'au naturel'. Rich can brave it or slink away."

RICHARD

I didn't slink away. If they thought that I would be embarrassed they were wrong. I dropped the trunks and dived in not giving a thought to their reaction. I ploughed my lengths trying to keep pace with Meera who seemingly swam as if the water was her natural milieu. All I got were flashes of lithe wet flanks and buttocks in my attempt to keep up. Andrea and Ashley bobbed in the shallow end laughing as Charlie held her brother and encouraged him to splash water.

Politics reared its head with a letter from the Indian Embassy. It would appear that the film 'Scorn' we had made in India was getting a gala premiere in Delhi. I was asked in a such a manner that I thought I could not refuse to attend. Ashley and Meera had received the same letter. John Lilman blew his top as we would be away when he wanted to get on with shooting the second series of our police drama. He was being petty as we could get to Delhi and be back in three days. Ashley told him not to be so childish and suggested that the publicity of the Premiere would reflect on his production. He became also docile when the Indian High Commission sponsored a Gala Premiere of 'Scorn' in London. That became a Royal Premiere as our government decided that it showed Anglo/Indian collaboration in a positive light and suggested that one of the royal 'firm' should attend.

Ashley, Meera and I flew out to Delhi and returned three days later. Our flights were first class by courtesy of Air India. So was the accommodation in Delhi by courtesy of the Indian film industry. I was intrigued seeing the film. As an actor in the production you get an idea of how the film will be once it is edited. However I was intrigued as the editing seemed to imply that the scorn shown to Basil and Deeta came mostly from the British society. Yet when we read the script the disdain came equally from both cultures. I reminded myself that this was an edition for Indian consumption; the version I would see in the U.K. may be different. Of course the scenes where Basil and Deeta kissed and caressed did not show in the Indian version.

As soon as we returned to the U.K. we started the second series of 'A Detective called Grantham'. The vibes between Grantham and Meera's character Sharma was perfect for a sub-plot. It was a kind of will they/won't they? Situation. I didn't know the outcome nor did anyone else. At that point I doubted that even the scriptwriter knew.

Then the Royal Premiere of 'Scorn' was imminent and we learned that His Royal Highness Prince Harry would be the 'royal' for this occasion. That meant the ladies will go all out to impress in long dresses and the gentlemen would be in white tie and tails. The Indian Commissioner had asked that as many of the cast as possible should be there and that meant Charlie should be there as well. Andrea had to go to Cirencester to seek the Head Mistress's permission for Charlie to take leave for a couple of days. She gave it reluctantly. Evidently the Head Mistress thought that being presented to one of the Royal Family was a dubious reason to miss her lessons. Came the day and I picked up my tribe and drove to London. I had reserved a suite for Andrea, Charlie and myself and a connecting room for Meera. Ashley still had her flat in Mayfair. It was thus that Ashley, Meera, Charlie and I stood in the line to be introduced. The line started with the money men and the producer then the director before getting to the cast. I was the first of the cast to be introduced to the Prince, he gave me short shrift, even as we spoke his eyes were on Meera, who glistened in a lustrous red saree. She curtsied very well and instead of offering his hand to shake the Prince greeted her as the Indians did, saying "Namaste". He asked her if she was enjoying her stay in the U.K. I believe he would have stayed longer talking to her but his Aide murmured in his ear. I understood his chagrin as he moved on, what man would prefer to talk to Harry Wheldon than a beautiful woman?

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.