The Viscounts Daughter - Cover

The Viscounts Daughter

Copyright© 2014 by Texrep

Chapter 9: Richard

My stomach was in turmoil as I drove Meera to Elstree; I hoped it wasn't noticeable. The reason for this discomfort? I was the lead actor in this series; something that I had thought I would never be. As Ashley had forecast all those years ago I was the support to an actor or actress who had much greater impact than I. It seemed that I wasn't alone in this turmoil as Meera confided that she felt daunted by this play. When we arrived at Elstree we were welcomed by Ashley with the news that she had been coerced by John Lilman to direct; directing for the first time. Talk about butterflies in the stomach, we had a whole bloody aviary of them. The set at Elstree was the interior of the police station from where Detective Chief Inspector Grantham and Detective Sergeant Anjala Sharma worked. We shot various scenes of the first script, as usual not in order but according to who was needed for bit parts and what props. The day was disrupted by John Lilman who would make suggestions for positioning and how the dialogue should be delivered. Eventually Ashley lost her rag. "John! You badgered me into directing this series, now let me do it or find yourself another bloody director."

John backed off immediately. "Sorry, Ashley, I thought I was helping."

At the end of the days shooting we gathered in the Bar. I was surprised to see Harry Wheldon. He stood and shook my hand. "Good to see you young Richard. Watched a bit of your shooting. You have presence. The series hangs on you and from what I have seen you will carry it well." We sat down with him and ordered drinks.

"Sorry, I meant to tell you, Richard." Ashley was contrite. "Harry is coming in to play your Chief Constable."

"I almost had to go down my knees before Ashley would let me in. Quite some time that I have been required to do that." He grumbled.

"This day had given me the most horrendous neck ache. Anyone offering to massage me?" Ashley looked at me slyly. I shook my head and smiled.

"Thought so." She muttered.

"Richard. Are you turning Ashley down?" Harry demanded. Ashley answered him. "Richard has Andrea and is completely in love with her. I suggested to him that Meera and I would keep him company at nights, when we were in India. He very gallantly demurred..."

"I quite liked the idea I thought it would be very interesting. " Meera spoke slowly and the word 'very' was drawn out even more. She looked at me. "Oh Richard. What a time we could have had."

"What the matter with you, Richard." Harry was astounded. "Spoiled for choice perhaps?"

"Definitely not He's chosen Andrea." Ashley came to my aid. She leaned forward and said quietly to me. "I was bloody stupid when I ended with you. Best lover I ever had."

"Thank you, Ashley."

Most productions have problems at some time, this one seemed to have problems all the time. We were pushed for time. It became clear that the slot the Lilman had taken up was limited for time. He had grabbed the slot when another production folded and John had brokered a very good deal. Unfortunately we had the slot for just four weeks and we had to film six episodes of two hours length each. He was pushing Ashley to get this in the can as quickly as possible; Ashley for her first directing opportunity was trying to get the best out of the script and the cast. Eventually we squeezed it in with long days from five a.m. to ten p.m ... Ironically what John had saved on set costs he paid out in overtime to the union members of the crew. Ashley was pissed off as she thought with more time it could have been better. We then went on location. John had rented a building which actually had been a Police Station, the locals were very interested when our scene builders placed the Blue Lamp over the door with some actually asking if the station was being re-opened. We shot lots of footage of my character, Meera's and Harry's going in and out, driving up in our cars or leaving in a hurry with lights and sirens blaring. We did scenes with dialogue outside the building, enough for all episodes. It seems quite haphazard but the clapper board carried the details for the editor to put the clips together in the right order and for the right episode. Then of course we had the continuity girls who kept very detailed notes of what we were wearing. Also what we were carrying and every detail. Whatever scenes we were shooting and for which episode, they had all the details down to perfection.

We did other location work in Leamington Spa as it had the right blend of architecture. We had the permission of the local council to close some roads temporarily and from the police to drive our police cars with 'two's and blues'. Again having the location we shot scenes for all episodes as well. When that was all in the can we went out into the country as some scenes involved dead bodies in woodland and rivers. It was interesting that not every episode was a murder. This six episode series contained three murders, a kidnapping, a missing girl and a terrible rape. Of course Detective Chief Inspector Grantham and his Detective Sergeant Sharma solve these mysteries.

When the first rough edit of the episode was completed John was in raptures as was the TV channel that had commissioned the series. They started pushing for the initial six episodes to be completed so they could schedule. We were back to Elstree soon where all interior sets could be made and knocked down easily to provide another set. John was putting us through the mangle and many of the crew and cast were becoming unhappy. I was very concerned for Andrea, her time was coming closer and I had promised to be there. I decided to talk to John, telling him that the moment Andrea phoned to say she was contracting pains, I was out of there. "You can't do that, Richard. We have got to get this thing finished..."

"I shall be away two or three days at most."

"I'm sorry, Richard but I can't let you go just for a birth." Ashley came in at that moment and asked if there was problem. John explained. She didn't back him though. "Well if that happens, John you will be without your main characters and a Director as well. Andrea is Richards' wife and my friend. Meera is her friend as well and none of us will miss this event."

John was angry. "All this for just a baby?"

"Yes John." I retorted. "It's very important. I shall go, sue me if you wish but I will never forgive myself if I am not there with Andrea when she gives birth to my child. End of discussion."

How opportune that conversation was as two days later Andrea phoned. "Darling, I am having contractions." That was it. I finished the day and told John I was going. Ashley and Meera looked at each other and wordlessly agreed. We drove back to the hotel so that the two girls could pack and then we were off.

I had booked Andrea into a private clinic in Cheltenham and they had a room for me so that I would be with her at all times. Meera had stayed with us in Broughley, much to the delight of the Viscount so I suggested to Ashley that she could find a bed there as well. "But be warned, Ashley. There is a very randy Viscount around, so lock your bedroom door."

"How old is he?" Ashley enquired.

"Just over seventy, but time hasn't slowed him down."

"Hmm. Interesting."

"How can we get to and fro?" Meera was concerned.

"You can use my car. Ashley will have to drive though, as you haven't got a licence yet."

My welcome from Andrea when I got to the clinic was quite a shock. Having changed into scrubs I walked into her room with the obligatory bouquet of flowers to have Andrea greet me with vituperation. "You bastard. You have done this. You walk in calmly and smiling. Well you have no idea of how much pain I am suffering. You selfish bastard."

To say that I was thunderstruck would be an understatement. The nurse who was attending to Andrea laughed at my expression. "Don't worry, Mr. Carter. Andrea is just working up to the really good stuff. When the contractions come every minute or two and Andrea has to push; then it will be really colourful." She turned to Andrea. "Now come on Andrea, you did this together, so you can't load all the blame on your husband."

I kissed Andrea and sat on the side of her bed. "It doesn't matter, my darling. Call me all the names under the Sun if you wish. I will stay with you all the way."

"I should bloody well think so." My wife retorted, smiling. "I still blame you though. You get that look in your eyes and I just melt."

Ashley and Meera changed into scrubs also, yet being women they took longer as any change of dress for a woman meant hair and make-up as well. It was at that point that they came into the delivery room cheerily saying hello to Andrea. After the obligatory kisses and hugs; there was a gasp as Ashley was recognised by the nurse. "Miss Marne! It is you isn't it?"

Ashley smiled her professional smile which she could switch on at any moment. "Yes, I am surprised you recognised me wearing these shapeless overalls."

"I would recognise you anywhere. I have watched all your films and have most on DVD."

"Well that's most gratifying, but you should know there is another star in the room." The nurse looked dumbfounded and looked at Meera who will become very well known but not yet. "I'll help you out." Ashley offered. "The father of the child is none other than Richard Leigh."

The nurse looked at me and recognition dawned. "Oh my God!" She looked as if she would swoon. "Just wait until I tell the others." She spoke to Andrea. "You will be the most popular mother-to-be in the whole clinic."

I thought I should take control or Andrea would be swamped with nurses. The nurse's name tag said Shirley. "Here's the deal, Shirley. Let's not have a continual foot-stepping in here. Andrea needs to have this child in peace. When our child is born I..." I looked at Ashley and Meera who nodded, "and Miss Marne and Miss Jalali will be happy for you to take pictures; print them and we will sign them personally to you and your colleagues. How does that sound?"

Shirley nodded. "Thank you Mr. Leigh, Miss Marne." She looked sheepishly towards Meera. "I am sorry I don't know of you."

"You wouldn't." Replied Meera with a smile. "Not unless you watch a lot of Indian films."

I made the introductions. "Here is an actress you will hear much about in the future, Meera Jalali."

Having sorted that out Ashley and Meera again hugged Andrea who immediately had another contraction, she grabbed my hand and tried to crush my fingers together. That contraction passed and Ashley and Meera were shuffled out by the overseeing Midwife when the contractions became stronger. I ignored her looks for me to go as well and stayed as I had promised Andrea. Ashley said that they would take up the offer of my car and drive to Broughley coming back the next day. Shirley advised me that I should empty my bladder early on. "This could take quite some time." I took her advice. Shortly after I returned the contractions became regular.

Shirley timed the contractions to her and soothed her as another one hit Andrea... "Ride it, Andrea, they are getting closer now, won't be long." She was wrong. It took Andrea twelve hours to deliver our son. Andrea was a slim woman and her hips were quite narrow so it was a struggle for her. I stayed with her and as the contractions became almost constant and she had to push I hopped up behind her, my legs either side of her as I supported her with her my chest. Andrea held my forearms and gripped tightly as she pushed. She was perspiring profusely, her hair lank, wet and clinging to her forehead. I had never loved her more.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.