The Green Magi
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2014 by Sebastian Tombs

from the journals of Cornelius Randolph

Like a fool I began to lower the shield, the pain was excruciating. By the time I got the shield jacked up again I was heaving for breath, like man who had broken the four minute mile for the first time in his life. Within a minute I was back in control and knew the pain came from information streaming into my brain from Eve at a rate I could not absorb. I figured if I lowered my band slowly I might be able to contact Eve and get her to turn the volume down. Even as I thought it I could feel my band beginning to lower and what I can only describe as the raindrops of information hammering on my band slowed down to almost nothing.

Unfortunately for me Eve's 'ranting' became understandable.

Apparently coinciding with Rollo's attack when I thought I had a fleeting feeling of Eve I had a bit more than that. A part of me entered Eve, bonded and searched, none too gently I gather for whatever it was Eve used to attack Harry. This unfortunately had the effect of Eve fighting on two fronts. Surprisingly the easiest one for her to deal with had been Rollo, a simple shield was all that was needed to keep him out of her core. In my rampaging attempt to save both Eve and I, I got figuratively speaking no further than two of her children. That is to say Eve had over the course of her existence built four AI's all supposedly subservient to her. Three were mature, she created one every time over the millennia's she enlarged the space ship. Harry however was only a couple of years old. Eve was waiting on his maturity to expand again. Rollo had managed to subvert him. So even then I was bait, as Rollo via Harry was distracted by me Eve reduced Harry to atoms leaving Rollo to find a new home. He did in a maintenance sub system. This robbed him of much his ability to accomplish anything physical without Harry to manipulate the ships systems. This also put him on a level playing field with Goldie.

As soon as Goldie had done the honours with Rollo my presence in Eve went from being 'a bull in a china shop' to a 'butterfly' floating around her systems. Eve I gathered was royally pissed off. She had been planning to persuade me to accept a neural implant for constant communication, the thing being she would be in control of the on off switch. Somehow I had planted a 'neural implant' into Eve, the pisser being I had control of the on-off switch and had shut all her monitoring of me down.

Eve quickly calmed down as all her monitors began functioning again and I became aware that Eve was/had been monitoring me fulltime, both physically and mentally. I didn't have a real problem with Eve knowing everything; after all there couldn't be much she didn't know already. None the less I felt I needed a little room as it were to hide the odd secret in. I had no sooner had this thought than I knew a capsule as such was created in my head that was impervious to all probes. I was now completely at ease with Eve's access and I dropped the whole problem of monitoring from my conscious mind.

First things first, I did make a conscious decision to lock all info in my head about the green band into the newly created stronghold. I didn't really know how powerful this mental shielding was, but thought if Eve can't break it, it's worth having. I also didn't think Eve knew the full capabilities of the green band, I didn't know them myself but I did know it was getting stronger, almost by the minute. This was a secret I felt should be kept to myself. For a fleeting instant I almost understood the paranoia of the security services to keep certain things under wraps.

I'd tuned Eve out for fractions of seconds while I sorted the band out in my head. When I tuned back in she was still rabbitting, the gist of which was you can't destroy sentient life forms. I put my two pence worth in then. "Eve the bastard was trying to make a slave of me and if you think I'm going to stand here and let him, you can damn well think again". I was royally pissed! I had never been controlled and I wasn't about to start letting it happen now. I'd had to work for people, sure but I had always come and gone as I pleased. Control, not if I could help it. I did find out the 'red bands' Eve used actually destroyed Harry whereas the 'green bands' Goldie used only ejected Rollo into space. "And that didn't kill him?" I asked somewhat sarcastically. The surprising answer was no. There was more to it than that but as it mainly concerned Goldie and the way Helsinths evolved I'd wait and get it straight from the horse's mouth.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.