A Day in Another Time and Place
Introduction

Copyright© 2014 by Baal

Over the centuries there were many names given to my homeland, White Russia, Red Russia and Black Russia; there were also many enemies there. One thing remained the same though, two actually, horses and our love of freedom. It must have been breed into us from the Mongols and Tartar clans, but light, fast cavalry just seemed to be our calling. While the Steppes and fields in Poland lent themselves to the Heavy Calvary of the Poles, The Ukraine, Belarus, Kiev and Southern Russia was our home where we roamed free.

We have served the Tsar's family since the time of Peter The Great. The single reason for this was 'Trust'. We had never, nor would we ever fail in our duty to them.

The Don Cossack were a many and diverse peoples. Generally, there were a dozen or so major families. This is how we divided up. We considered ourselves a nation in our own right.

My name is Victor Mikel Feodor Illinova, I am 23, two metres tall (6' 6") and 20 Stone (280 Lbs or 127 kg). My horses, yes I had three of them, were all close to eighteen hands high and could ride like the wind. Unlike some of the others, carrying my weight could tire them out rather quickly, hence the spares. In battle though, I no longer had so great a distance to cover, not since I met the Countess. Countess Ileana Marie Pechanga was everything to me that dreams might be made of. We could never be together though, it was just not done, but I would serve her, protect her and in everyway do her bidding, no matter what the risk or the cost to me might be. Let me tell you how we began what would be a lifelong journey.

Countess Ileana Marie Pechanga was born into the Romanov family, but on the wrong side of the bed, so to speak. The then Prince, loved Princess Maria Elimovna Meshcherskaya and was to learn that another had made her a proposal, he told his parents that he was prepared to give up his rights to the sovereignty in order to marry his beloved 'Dusenka'. Ileana Marie was the result of that love. The Tsar, Alexander Alexandrovich Romanov(Alexander III) eventually did follow his father's command and married Maria Feodorovna, born Princess Dagmar of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg(Denmark), however, he never abandoned his other daughter, Ileana Marie to a fate of banishment, he was not like his father(Alexander II) had been and made certain that Ileana married well.

Later she became a Colonel of one of his Don Cossack Regiments. A feat rare for a woman indeed, but she herself was unique and was very qualified for the posting. Fate it seems, smiled well on that decision. The 13th Regiment soon not only became the best unit, it became the most loyal and trustworthy to the Tsar's, unlike the 'Strella' had been to Peter The Great. This was then the regiment that I joined.

We were little better than raw recruits then. Almost a full company, 120 formed and waited for our selection and assignments.

Up ahead rode a woman, almost a girl she seemed. Being men that got the attention of those assembled. Catcalls, whistles and some rather rude comments started being directed at her. She stopped and if an ominous look could kill, that shown clearly on her face, it was to prove a deadly promise of events to follow.

When she wheeled on her mount to face us; her uniform, that of a Regimental Colonel, shown in the sun. About the same time as the fools in our assembled mass recognized that, 50 or so lancers rode up between her and us. They lined up and stood in front of her for what seemed forever. Then a call rang out for our officer in-charge.

About the time he approached the now very aggressive lancers, a thundering din was heard as what must have been an entire Regiment that now bore down on us. 500 lancers and more than 500 cavalry now surrounded our group. Someone had obviously ridden to notify those other troops of what had occurred to 'their' leader. From the look on their faces not one was pleased. The woman, no the Colonel rode up ahead of the line of lancers and said something to our officer. In a split second, she drew her saber and neatly separated his head from the body while one of the lancers speared it before it hit the ground and held the head aloft for all to see. It was easy to see how important order and discipline were within the 13th.

She next barked out a command, "Form up and count off to 10!" Without question this was done. Everyone was in shock. Every one of us at least, her troops surrounding us showed no emotion however. She gave another command, "Even numbers, line up and form a gauntlet. Draw your swords. Strike the enemy as they enter the gauntlet; 2, 4 and 6 use flats only, 8 and 10's back edge, strike as hard as you can or die with them. Odd numbers, 1, 3, 5. 7 and 9's run the gauntlet, you have 10 minutes. Commence the run."

The look of all of our faces and the sheer panic that ensued was only the beginning. After 10 minutes, another command was given. "Even numbers raise weapons!" It was done as ordered. "Those with bloody swords. 3 paces back; now, move."

About 30 of us stepped back.

"Kill those ahead of you. My Cossacks, kill any of those who refuse to obey the command!"

Therefore, the slaughter began. Never again would any recruit call out to any woman as they had done, let alone a Regimental Commander. Some tried to run; those who escaped our swords were skewered by a lancer while trying to escape. In all, only 19 of us 'evens' remained out of more than 120 recruits. Those 'odds' that had made it through the gauntlet were released to return home in disgrace, the rest were killed. As she rode off, her command to the 13th was to take our 19 into the regiment. It was an opportunity for us but one for which a high price had been paid by those who passed this test. That an entire Regiment, more than 1,200 troops, would come to protect their Commander was not lost on all the rest of those in camp who had seen what went on.

Not a word was said as her Cossacks, we 19 now included, rode off to do battle with the enemy. Shortly, many more would die that day. That was my first look at Countess Ileana Marie Pechanga, Colonel of the 13th Cossack Regiment, Life Guards of The Tsar and I would be there for her until the day she died.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.