Autumn Duet
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2014 by Kaffir

They had lunch with Peter and Libby and the rapport between them and Nell was immediate.

"We're all golfers so we must have game," cried Libby. "Bags Ralph for my partner!"

"Not fair!" retorted Peter.

"Oh!" exclaimed Nell looking crestfallen.

"I was only referring to your hair," replied Peter quickly.

"Oh well, in that case..."

They managed a game before the wedding which reinforced the feelings Peter and Libby had for Nell. The latter had actually taken in Ralph's advice about not trying to hit the skin off the ball and came in six under handicap. She was thrilled.

"Watch it, boy!" she grinned at Ralph. "I'm only one behind you."

"Ahead, my clever girl. When did I Iast play to my handicap?"

Nell, of course, had to play her charade at the ninth tee.

"Um, Libby?" she asked with big eyes. "May I borrow your partner for a few minutes? We normally have a little nooky behind the bushes here?"

"No!" said Libby. "You can have Peter and I'll have a go at Ralph."

That reduced them all to giggling pulp as shown by their drives.

On Friday 12th July Ralph and Nell drove over to Marlborough at their usual time. Nell appeared a little tense.

Ralph was quick to notice. "All OK, my love?"

"Yes, Ralph darling. Marriage is quite a big thing all the same and, even though I've done it before, it's still pretty big."

"Doubts?"

"No, you silly man, I'm just being silly. I love you, Ralph, end of story."

He reached across and squeezed her hand. "We're both in the same boat, darling."

She squeezed back. "I love you, my darling Ralph. So much I love you."

She relaxed, partially.

The choir had congratulated them and teased them earlier in the week. Not one was going to miss the wedding but a dozen were not coming to the reception. Ralph's guess had been pretty accurate.

They had rehearsed the 'Laudate Dominum' since Wednesday and Ella was pleased with them. They rehearsed the two hymns on Friday morning but they were a doddle for the choir. They also ran through their concert numbers and Ella was happy with them. They did their party piece once more and Ralph thanked them.

"I'm glad we're going to be in the vestry for that," he said, "or I'd be blubbing."

"Wet!" said Nell loudly which reduced everyone to laughter.

"Me too," she added.

There was more laughter.

Nell and Ralph did not dress up. Nell wore a simple but very pretty cream dress with pale green leafy stems on it. Ralph wore a dark suit with his Old Marlburian tie. The choir were all appropriately dressed too which caused some comments at coffee break.

As usual the choir had quietly publicised their concert but their flyers had also mentioned the wedding. The chapel was packed although Ralph and Nell forewent lunch to make sure that their invited guests had the best seats. Sean, Ted and Ollie remonstrated gently with them afterwards saying that they could and should have acted as ushers.

"You wouldn't have known everyone," smiled Nell.

The service went smoothly. The choir led the hymns with gusto. Ella conducted the congregation much to their delight. The signing of the register went quickly and as conversation began to pick up in the vestry Ralph held up his hand.

"Hush!" he said.

The Amen had started and in came Sophy's soprano. The family were transfixed, even Matt. Nell just turned into Ralph and hugged him. Tears poured from them both.

Ralph and Nell had thought that after the service they could just slip out of the side door. The chaplain would not hear of it.

"OK," he said. "There are a lot of people who don't know you from Adam and vice versa but they've turned out for you so you owe it to them to walk down the aisle."

Ralph and Nell did so and in doing so spotted a number of people they knew slightly. They did not have time to do more than acknowledge them and headed off for the Norwood Hall. They did however pause just before the West Door to acknowledge the Master who was in his usual place just to the left of it.

The catering staff had worked wonders in the Norwood Hall after the last of the lunchers had left clearing a space to accommodate a hundred people and having long side tables with small eats on them. In addition there were waitresses with champagne and soft drinks for people as they arrived.

Ralph and Nell had told Richard that they did not want to prolong the reception but that they would be delighted if the Master wanted to say something. He did and after about twenty minutes rang his bell. The guests fell silent.

"Colonel and Mrs Pennicott, Ladies and Gentlemen, Ralph and Nell have made history today for Summer School by marrying in Chapel supported by their fellow students. We, and I include the College, are honoured. Fortunately possibly for Nell, she was not a pupil here so I have no dark secrets to reveal for her. I haven't been able to unearth that much about Ralph either except that he aided and abetted his study companion in poaching pheasant in Savernake Forest. I have to admit that their study block master was also in on the act, buying their ill-gained birds at half a crown a brace more than the local butcher."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.