Protection and Preservation, Book 08 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 08

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 16

[Janice writes on the way to Newfoundland]

We landed at Reykjavik and began refueling. One of the Icelanders came up and asked, "What is wrong? The other plane flew in and then left quickly."

I said, "One of my daughters was shot. She is in the other plane and they are headed for St. John's, Newfoundland, as quickly as possible. We have a doctor and hospital plane meeting them. She will need surgery if she is to survive."

"We will be hoping for you and your daughter. Good luck."

"Thank you." We had enough fuel. We closed everything up and got into the air. Andy and Charlie were flying the plane and I could pace and pray.

I felt so helpless. Other than wish that I had gone out this morning, there is nothing I could do or could have done. I prayed for her, for Mel, and for Anne's hands to be steady.

Mindy called to us. "Duck is landing now. Doctor Anne is ready to operate."

We were about half an hour behind when we came to St. John's. Charlie landed us gently and taxied over to the other two planes. He killed the engines while I lowered the ramp. As soon as it was down, I was out and running to the C-130 that had brought Anne. My spouses were standing at the ramp with others. I noticed Mel was not there.

Bennie said, "Mel is with Bobbi helping Anne. Anne's operating. She had to cut Bobbi's chest open. She is worried about the vein closure. There may be permanent damage but she would have died otherwise. I think Anne's closing now."

Bennie was right. Anne came to the top of the ramp. "Parents may come up now. Don't touch her chest." The four of us with SJ and Jacob went up the ramp quickly. Anne said, "She is breathing on her own. The shotgun blast compressed her chest. She has broken and cracked ribs and a cracked sternum. One vein was damaged. To save her life, Mel followed my instructions. The damage from the shotgun has been repaired. The damage necessary to save her may have damaged her brain function. She is in a coma. I don't know how long she will be unconscious nor what effects she may sustain. We will have to wait.

"I want to fly her back to Preservation and care for her there. We'll leave in an hour. The expedition will have to figure out what they will do."

I looked at our eldest daughter. She looked small and helpless on the operating table. I was crying. My spouses were crying with me. SJ and Jacob were holding each other and sobbing. We all sat on the floor of the plane. Vic and Tom had flown the plane up. It was dedicated to hospital work and named, "Hope."

After a few minutes, Vic came to me and asked me and Robby to come outside. He said, "We need to refuel for the flight back. Janice, you have to lead. Robby, please stand with her. I know you are worried sick but we just have to wait and that's the hardest to do. There are things that have to be done now and you are the one who leads."

I gave myself an emotional shake. I said, "Robby, dear, that was good flying. Lead getting all three planes refueled, Hope first. Once that's done, get in Duck and lay down. You did what you needed to do. You got our daughter here in time." He smiled and gathered some people to help him with refueling. Once that started, I went to others including Poppa Jack. "Poppa, take it easy. You will be flying Duck or Mallard. We're heading home." I found SJ and Jacob. "I want you two to take it slow but clean up Duck. Father Robby will be there soon to rest. Grandpop will be flying one plane so he needs to rest, too. SJ, you did a fine job on the radio and, Jacob, I know you were right beside her to support her." I saw Ted and Lois. "Lois, Ted, would you two police Mallard. We won't stay. We're heading home." They nodded.

Bennie and Pam came out with a folding lounge. Bennie opened it and gently put me in it. Pam said, "Lie down and rest, Jan. We made it. We will help get ready to go to Preservation. We'll run interference for you. If you need to make a decision, we'll ask you." I lay down. Moments later, Andy and Charlie came out and sat beside me stroking my arm. I did get some rest that day. Pam and Bennie handled everything. They came and Bennie lifted me in his arms and was walking. He took me to Hope. He whispered, "Everything is fine. We have people lined up to handle the planes. We will be cranking Hope in a moment all will fly back to Preservation. Rest easy." He set me down and I walked over to Bobbi. She was still unconscious but her breathing was regular and her color was normal. I lay down on a pallet with Mel on one side and Bennie on the other. I heard the ramp closing. Mel said, "All the family is here except Charlie. Andy and he are flying Duck. Rest, Jan."

We landed at Preservation and Anne had Bobbi whisked away to the hospital she maintained for those injured. All of our doctor types from Preservation and Protection met with us to talk about Bobbi's future treatment. I was quiet and listened. Anne's concern was that Bobbi had brain damage and might not ever come out of the coma. Doctor George had performed a scan and determined that there was still activity going on. Finally, they ran down on what to say. Mel then said, "She is alive and in there. It will take time but she will come out again. We must spend time with her and talk to her regularly. Janice, come on. We will go sit with her now." As she rose with me beside her, she added, "Include Andy and Charlie and SJ and Jacob in your schedule."

We went into the room. We took two chairs and sat on either side of the bed. Each of us held one of her hands. I prayed. I could feel Mel's aura flowing over our daughter and me calming and relieving.

We stayed by our daughter for hours. At one point, I felt Bobbi's hand tighten on mine for a moment. I looked up and met Mel's eyes. She smiled. I went back to my praying. Much later, Andy and Charlie came in and sent us to rest.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.