Protection and Preservation, Book 08 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 08

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 13

[Janice writes from Estonia]

It was mid afternoon when Anton returned with a pretty woman about his age and three young children. He came up to Charlie and me. He said, "This is my wife, Marta, and my children."

Charlie said, "Hello, Marta, it's good to meet you. This is one of my mothers, Janice."

"Hello, Missus Janice. Your communities practice plural marriage?"

I said, "It's good to meet you and your family. Some are in plural marriages. Most marriages, like Charlie's, are single spouse marriages with one husband and one wife. Mine is the largest that we have heard of. I have two husbands and two fellow wives. Our communities permit but do not encourage plural marriage. It's part of our freedoms."

I smiled. "My foster father was the leader of Preservation until he refused to run again. He is now ambassador to the world on behalf of our allied communities. He is with us on the trip."

"Is he your leader?"

Charlie grinned. "No, mom is our expedition leader. My grandfather hasn't the experience. The group elected mom." He pointed at me. "Many of us have taken lessons from my moms and dads. They have the experience in traveling and protecting themselves and their children under all conditions."

Anton said, "Experience in adverse conditions is good. Bad conditions have been around for many years. Over the years and even before the virus, we fought off groups who would take our freedom. We have been successful since the virus. We aren't as badly outnumbered."

I said, "Anton, do your people have electricity?"

"Very little. The plants require many people to operate them. There is little gas or diesel for the generators we have."

"I understand." The land is flat which means hydro-electric would not be reasonable. "Charlie, please have someone load a generator, battery, radio, and antenna for our trip. Once that's done, I think we will be ready to go."

"Yes, ma'am. I will see to it. We will head your way, mom. We will be ready to follow Mister Anton in a few minutes."

Charlie left to organize things. Marta saw Andy and gasped. She said something to Anton. "My wife just saw the beautiful lady who was with your Charlie this morning."

I smiled. "Everyone notices Andy. She is Charlie's wife. She is also a great pilot. I enjoy having her as my daughter in-law. She and Charlie make a powerful team."

A minute later, Robby came up and said, "Jan, we're ready and your ride will be driven up. The Trio will pick us up." I introduced him to Anton. We would ride in the dune buggy with four-wheelers behind us. When they pulled up, we got in and followed Anton and his family.

I noticed that Anton and Marta and their kids seem happy and comfortable. Robby had whispered, "Alarms set."

We left at a slow speed following Anton's wagon. We were leaving the airport and heading out from town. We came to a little meeting house further out from Tallinn. Anton stopped. The roadway was wide enough and we drew up beside Anton's wagon. He said, "This is our meeting house. We get together weekly. It was an old meeting house before the virus. Years before that, two church congregations had used it occasionally. They died out long ago."

We drew up beside it and everyone got out. I asked, "Is there any place to worship in the area?"

"No, there are few who believed before the virus and now even fewer. We depend upon ourselves and our efforts not upon those of an imaginary being."

"That's interesting. Our communities are based in the southeastern United States and we take our community names seriously, Preservation and Protection. Those ideals and reasons for doing what we do all are based upon the ideals that began the United States. Some of the United States may have lost its way but the south was always true to those ideals from the country's founding. I would be uncomfortable living in a community without a church to attend."

"We've just never needed a church or God to show us how to live."

We went in the building. The people here, Estonians, I guess, were friendly. I saw Mel nodding and smiling though her eyes remained wary. I relaxed as much as I could when meeting new people. Almost everyone was grouped in couples and families. There were very few singles in their entire group. Andy caught a number of eyes. I was confident in her ability now. She was holding hands with Charlie, too. All of the singles were younger men in their teens and twenties. I got a look but I guess older women like me weren't as interesting. It almost hurt my feelings.

Once inside, we found that a number of people spoke some English. Interestingly, one of them was a young man who homed in on Andy. He came up to her and even bowed. He gave his name and asked hers. She introduced Charlie as her husband. That didn't take all the wind out of his sails but he noticed that Andy was polite only and moved closer to Charlie.

Anton came to me. He said, "Rando seems to be interested in your daughter, Andy."

"It's a waste of time. She is totally devoted to Charlie. The only female who is over the age of consent and unattached is Michelle."

"Our custom allows young men to challenge for a young woman."

"I hope Rando is not that foolish. Andy will hurt him badly."

"He will challenge Charlie."

"Yes, but Andy will take up his challenge because she will want to make sure there is no mistake in her preferences nor in her ability to have them honored."

Rando said something else and reached for Andy. The first round was over very quickly when Andy threw him. He landed painfully but got up quickly. Charlie stood still grinning broadly. Rando stood up again and said something.

Andy crouched but responded to him loudly, "I am married to Charlie. It was and is my choice. I will defend my right to make that choice and to stay with Charlie for life. No man can measure favorably to him. I want no other man." Her stare was defiant and uncompromising.

Rando backed off and bowed. He said, "In our country, the men make the choice first."

Andy hadn't moved. "In my country, our preferences are not enforced by might but I am well able to do so. I am married to Charlie and will remain that way for all of my life." She was repeating her words trying to get through to him.

Rando said, "You are very beautiful but I will honor your preference. If your husband ever sends you away, please remember me."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.