Protection and Preservation, Book 08 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 08

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 10

[Janice writes]

Donegal looked like just another airport but it felt different. I think it was because we knew we were another step further from our homes and had entered what Americans considered Europe. We set out sentries and looked for fuel. We found plenty and it was in good shape. We started refueling.

On the way in, I was copilot of the Duck. I thought the GPS was giving some funny readings. Bennie said, "I've noticed that. The plane also has an INS. I've been setting that. From what I have read, the GPS can get out of date but the INS is purely internal to the plane. It only requires that we know where we are and give the system time to start up and figure out what's real. The military bases and the airports have it. I use the GPS when it's getting a good read to set the INS or pick it up at the airports. I use both along with watching our compass course and using my eyes. Among all that, I've come up with a good answer so far."

The area around Donegal was deserted but it had almost as much fuel as St. John's. I gathered everyone. I told them I was thinking of making this our base and exploring the Islands before moving into the continent. Once we have flown over most of the area looking for people and signs of people and met those we could, we would move to the continent and set up another base. That sounded good to everyone and would be our program. Although I did it reluctantly, separating our flights would double the area we could cover in the same amount of time. I decided to do that recognizing the risk.

We selected two routings for our flights. We had decided that making a long, slow flight to truly cover any area would take more time than we had. We were hoping to go slow enough to attract attention of any people who might see or hear the planes. Those spots would then be marked and discussed.

Our Irish flight would be to Belfast, then down the coast to Dublin. Then the flight would go to Kilkenny, Waterford, and Cork as our southernmost point. It would head back via Limerick and Galway finishing back at Donegal. Those places would see landings at the crew's discretion.

Our other flight would go to Scotland to start. That flight would be due north and then trace a ragged path south including Inverness, Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth, Edinbrough, and Glasgow. Landings would be optional also. From Glasgow, the flight would be south to Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, and York. After that zigzag, the direction would be northern to Sunderland, west to Carlisle, and then back to Donegal.

We would talk through what to do next but visiting England and Wales would be next. We really wanted to find those places doing well enough to get and then stay connected to our communities. That sounded cold but we weren't trying to spread civilization so much as to aid others in doing that chore. Maps may lie but not much. There was a lot of land to cover and no one wanted to spend a year in Europe trying to do something that perhaps couldn't be done.

We made our two flights the next day. Pam and I flew the Duck into Scotland and took that route. Andy and Charlie flew the Mallard as my young son, Amos, had named the second plane. Poppa Jack and Momma Shirley flew with them. The route through Scotland and northern England was a bust. We saw very few people in a few small groups. There was no group large enough to warrant stopping. The airports were and had been deserted. It was a tiring day but the survey on our route was complete. That evening, we gave our report with Robby speaking for the Duck's route. Poppa Jack spoke for the Mallard's route. They were disappointed. The island was the home to very few people gathered in small agricultural groups. We would fly to England tomorrow.

We got out the maps to make more detailed plans. We knew that we wanted to land in London's Heathrow. We also would buzz by Birmingham. The question I had was the true southern part of England. Well-known airports were few in the southern and western areas. We would perform flyovers but would only land at Heathrow. I reminded everyone that we had a lot of ground to cover and we hadn't spent any time on the continent yet. We would fly over all of the area in formation but widely separated. Andy, Charlie, and the Trio wanted everyone's attention. I looked at them and said, "Okay, one of you speak. You have something to say obviously."

They smiled and SJ stood. That worried me. SJ was mature well beyond her years and had a golden tongue. She said, "We were looking around and found something worthy of more consideration."

"Daughter of mine, skip the big words and get to the point."

"Yes, mom. We found an Otter in seems to be in good shape. After getting batteries charged, the motors both turn over and the cockpit instruments come on. We think that adding it to the fleet would be worthwhile. We all know it's got a reasonable range and is perfect for looking around."

That started a discussion! After a few minutes, I had to shout, 'Hold it! Pipe down!"

It quieted. "I want a show of hands. Going over that plane will take a day or two and you must satisfy me regarding air readiness. No statements. Who wants to ready that Otter?" A very clear majority wanted to do that. I was glad. The C-130's we used were not overly blessed with windows and the Otter series did have windows. It would give us a slow and go. I said, "Okay. That's a clear majority. We will work it over. At this time, I will allow a two-day commitment.

"Is there anything else that needs attention tonight?" I waited but heard nothing. "Okay, meeting over. Poppa, Momma, Olaf, and Mary, would you please talk with me for a moment?"

We dispersed and the four came to me. "I want the four of you to take the maps and start a plan for Europe with details as much as possible."

I grinned. "Please think on the following questions. How far in each direction should we go? How much time should we spend in each place? What would be our return route with options? What about food on the way? Is there a 'drop dead' date for starting back? You may think of more but those are my immediate thoughts. I don't think we planned our route as well as we should have. I want to correct that lack. Have fun."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.