Looking for a Dry Spot, a Day of Destruction Aftermath Story - Cover

Looking for a Dry Spot, a Day of Destruction Aftermath Story

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 9

It was now late spring and we starting meeting in our little town with the other couples. We checked the warehouse where Wendy had been kept but the gang had moved on though we didn't know where or even why. We knew we were not on a main road much less an Interstate. I thought that fact might be insulating us from unwelcome contacts. It also might be keeping us from good contacts.

At our next group outing, we discussed a faster means of contacting each other. Other than CB's, no one had any ideas. In the back of my mind was that there were police radios and there should be more of some other type.

With Heather and David, we began exploring and checking out the farms around our homes. Shelia and Mark would come on these trips occasionally. Decomposition had removed most of the smell though the bodies were not pretty to see. We took to burying the people in their backyards and leaving crosses.

I talked with David and Mark about safe houses and preparing for trouble. It had been over a year since the Day. It was difficult to remember to take precautions because our homes seemed safe to us all. After discussing it with Wendy, I told David about the emergency packs in the changing hut.

Heather's pregnancy was starting to show. I knew they had not read up on prenatal care or birthing. It worried me Wendy had gone off birth control but she hadn't become pregnant yet. I told her that early pregnancy in the summer would let her experience most of her pregnancy in cool weather. She smiled. "Tim dearest, when it happens, it will happen and we will deal with the situation with care and love. We'll just keep trying. We both enjoy that." I nodded in agreement.

We continued our reading of medical information. I felt that I could help well with a broken bone and competently set one. I was concerned about delivering a baby and our reading concentrated heavily in that area as well as prenatal and postnatal care.

Wendy and I had a regimen of exercise and work that fit us and gave us enjoyment.

After much discussion, we set up a third safe house miles away from our home and any other people. We could reach it with our emergency car but would have to be careful. The road wasn't good. It was, literally, a cabin in the woods and hidden from everything. It had never been on the grid! We would have water, though cold, but no power. We had oil lamps, some clothing, and some freeze-pack food. We hoped to use it only in an emergency and only for a short time. We visited it only about once a month just to make sure it was okay. We told no one about it.

Our discussions with other couples over a potluck meal in town continued. It was a strange way of meeting. No one knew exactly where anyone lived or even details about their living conditions. Heather and David were not consistent in their attendance. As her pregnancy weighed on her, they became less regular. Sheila and Mark only attended once. It was a younger group. Wendy and I were probably the oldest couple of the regulars. Only one couple was together before the Day. Everyone had stories of loss and of finding new people.

We rarely raided stores now. Anything we wanted, we had it if it could be had. Our truck garden was producing well. We have learned to can and freeze vegetables. Protecting the garden gave us deer and rabbit to eat and to freeze as well as kept our marksmanship reasonably sharp.

We had two events occur within a day of each other. One was very good though frightening. The other was very bad and frightening.

Wendy came out of the bathroom in the morning with a big smile. "There are two lines in the window! You have made me pregnant! I love you, Tim!" She jumped on me as I lay on the bed.

"I love you, too, Wendy. I'm thrilled!" We kissed and made love again. I was happy and Wendy was, too. We had wanted this despite the risks.

The other event started in the sky early that afternoon. We were meeting with some of the other couples and sharing our news. One couple was missing. We heard a loud explosion north of town in the general direction that they came and went from our meetings.

Todd said, "What in the hell! Marcy and Jim aren't here! I think they live up that way!" We milled about stupidly for a few minutes before agreeing to investigate as a group though I counseled caution. The other four couples dashed off while I thought for a moment and then cranked the truck.

I left the park but headed east before turning north. Wendy looked at me curiously but said nothing. We had the windows down to hear and were watching the sky seeing the smoke billowing. I heard noises like gunfire and stopped. I turned the truck around and switched it off.

We got out with our rifles and pistols. We began to sneak toward the smoke's source. We were in a neighborhood and took a direct route cutting through yards and trying to stay out of sight from anyone. I was worried that our friends may have blundered into a deadly ambush.

We came to a place between houses and could see a house burning. I could see a woman's body on the ground. I pulled my binoculars and recognized Marcy. I whispered to Wendy, "That's Marcy lying there. We need to find out about the rest and shoot any bad guys we find."

"Tim, I will help you shoot. Let's go." We crawled back and resumed going through yards until we could see the main road back to town. Two of our friend's trucks were in the road and seemed to be bullet riddled. We kept our distance until we saw another of our friends' trucks up ahead. It had been a little further back from the other two. An occasional shot came from the truck and from the yards between us and the truck.

I pointed at the truck. "Someone is still alive there. Bad guys are between us and the truck. Let's go hunting." She nodded and we continued toward the truck with even more caution. Up ahead was a two-story house. "Wendy, you have a scope. Get in the house on the second floor. Be careful but you can ruin them from up there. I think I can mess them up from down here. Let me shoot first. I'm going to come in from that direction." I pointed. She wasn't happy but nodded.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.