Looking for a Dry Spot, a Day of Destruction Aftermath Story
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

We went inside for a drink of water. We sat at the kitchen table. I said, "Your statement about swimming interests me. I enjoy swimming though never competed. We can walk the properties and see if there is a swimming hole or, failing that, make one."

Her eyes danced and she nodded. I added, "You might want to consider jeans and boots. It's pretty overgrown. We check on the generator while we're out."

She changed quickly. We donned our pistols and walked out the back. I led the way up the hill. I said, "Strangely, I haven't explored the property much except for this area. I built the housing and laid the line for the generator." We reached the little generator hut and I showed it all to her. "This is what provides the house, barn, and well with power. I put it on line before the grid failed and, once the grid had died, I removed the lines coming into the house. I left one pole and a couple of wires hanging loosely out in the drive. I used to cover the drive with leaves and pine straw but now it always looks deserted."

Wendy said, "I'm officially impressed. This took a lot of work and it blends into the trees. You buried the line going back to the house, too."

Everything was working well and I started across through the woods along the property. After almost a mile, we came to a larger creek. I said, "I have been this far once. I decided the other creek was sufficient and closer. I went back and haven't gotten back here again." We followed the creek down toward the pasture. Over a hill from the house was a decent sized pond. The creek had followed the line of the hill but we went over the hill.

"Oh, Tim! This would make a great swimming hole. We could sit on this side in the trees and be hidden. Over there, the sun would shine and we could tan. It's big enough. The land also hides it from viewers even from the house. I like it." She looked around. "Could we build a small changing hut over there in those trees?"

I looked at the area where she pointed and nodded. "I have shingles left that I used for the generator hut. We can roof it with those which would help hide it from prying eyes. We could also store emergency packs here if the farm was invaded and we had to run."

Her head popped up. She said, "You like to plan ahead, don't you?"

"Yes. It may take some of the fun out of life but it also gives a little protection from unwelcome surprises."

Wendy solemnly intoned, "It shall be as you say, oh great foresighted one." Then she burst into a set of giggles. I joined her in the laughter though it wasn't as funny as our laughter suggested.

I said, "Let's continue along the tree line and come back in the trees on the other side. I really haven't looked over this end since I can see further out from the house."

We went along the tree line. We came to the fence and followed it back to the barn. There was one gate in the fence that would release animals further away from the house. It was open. We still saw no sign of animals. Wendy asked, "Did the former owners have any horses?"

"From the records I found, there should have been at least two horses and a cow or two. The back of the barn was open and there were no animals here when I came. Mister Stokes was here by himself while his wife and son had gone to her parents' place. Everyone was sick. As best as I can tell, he slipped and broke his leg at the barn's rear door. I think he was too sick to drag himself away from where he fell.

"I found his body there and buried him over by those trees. I never found his wife, son, or her parents. I found no list with their names much less an address. I always said that I would go there and bury them if I could figure out where they might be."

It was late afternoon and we went inside. I hung my pistol belt at the kitchen door. Wendy hung hers beside mine. She said, "What would you like for supper that can be fixed?"

"How about hamburgers? There is some defrosted hamburger meat in the fridge."

She got the hamburger out and looked around in the pantry. "Would spaghetti be okay instead? Every thing I need is available."

"That would be great. I just don't think that complicated."

"It's not, Tim. We have a jar of sauce and noodles. Give me about thirty minutes."

"That sounds great. I have wine and a red wine would go well and it's supposed to be good for the heart. We have to be healthy." I grinned at her and got a grin back along with a nod.

I fetched a bottle of red from the cellar where it kept cool. I wiped the bottle and opened it to "let it breathe." Wendy reached for it and poured a little into the sauce. She put it back at the same angle. She said, "Do you think it really makes a difference in the taste of a bottle of red?"

"Not to my palate. I'm not the most discriminating but I've never found a bit of difference. I do like it on the cool side even more than what's recommended."

The meal was done and we ate in the kitchen with normal china and wine glasses. It was a great meal. I complimented Wendy on the cooking with my wine glass. We both had about a glass and a half before finishing eating. It was a merry meal with much laughter. I think we had one of the best times either of us had had in a long time. I know I did.

We hadn't planned desert and took our glasses into the living room after cleaning up our dishes. We had enough Spaghetti left for another meal. Wendy asked if it was okay with me for her to combine the noodles and sauce before storing it in the fridge. I nodded. We stood and went to the living room. I put a comedy movie in the DVD player and we enjoyed the light entertainment that it provided. When the movie was over, our glasses were empty. I stood and said, "For me, it's time for bed. Wendy, I had a delightful meal and evening. Thank you."

"Thank you, Tim. I enjoyed the company. See you tomorrow."

I should have paid attention to the sky. I woke up to a constant, medium rain. I was glad not to hear thunder. I lay in bed thinking for a minute to be sure that there was nothing I could think of that needed to be sheltered from rain. I didn't think of anything. I got up. After showering and dressing, I went to the kitchen to hear the coffee maker running but didn't se Wendy. I realized that I heard the other shower.

I opened the back door and sat on the small porch. Before I thought to move, Wendy came out with two cups. She smelled of soap and the cups smelled of fresh coffee. She placed one in my hand and sat beside me on the glider. I sipped the coffee inhaling the aroma. "It's good."

She chuckled. "It's not hard to fix your coffee. Black with no sugar is pretty easy."

I smiled. We sat in companionable silence sipping our coffee. The day had all the signs of being rainy all day. Wendy asked, "What do you want to do today, Tim?"

"I'm just starting to think about it. I don't want to be out in the rain but there are some things in the barn that could be done and a few items in the house that could use attention. However, there's nothing that has to be done. Is there anything you would like to do?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.