Companion - Cover

Companion

Copyright© 2014 by MisguidedChild

Chapter 10: Is it a Date?

"Hello," Caleb said, answering his phone.

There was no reply. He only heard heavy breathing on the line. He looked at the caller ID and realized that it was JJ's number. Caleb smiled and put the phone back to his ear, considering what to say.

"If you think heavy breathing will get my motor running, you're right," Caleb said into the phone in a playful tone of voice.

"Did you ask my son if I had a criminal record," JJ blurted accusingly.

Caleb was taken aback by her tone of voice and the accusation. This was a different woman than he thought he had become acquainted with the night before. He considered how to respond to her. He wondered how much he was willing to risk for the dreams he had entertained about their not-relationship that he was hoping would turn into a budding relationship. One of the things Caleb had learned from his parents, and it had been reinforced by Al, was a lesson that particularly applied in this situation. It especially applied since he hoped this would turn into a long term relationship. Honesty was the best policy! It was also a two-edged sword, so he needed to ensure he didn't get cut by it.

"Umm ... Yep," Caleb replied flippantly.

There was silence on the line for a moment before JJ asked, in a much smaller, and more timorous tone of voice, "Did you ask him if I did anything that would damage your reputation?"

"I sure did," Caleb answered, in a much lighter tone of voice than he should have, considering JJ's tone of voice.

There was silence on the line.

"Would you be interested in why I asked him those things?" Caleb asked after a long moment.

"Yes," JJ said, so quietly that Caleb could barely hear her.

Caleb didn't have the mind meld thing that Al offered, since he was talking on the phone, but he could tell when someone was hurting. He didn't want JJ to hurt.

"JJ. It is alright," Caleb said softly. "When I called earlier, your son asked if I was canceling tonight. He sounded pretty defensive, and maybe a little angry. Teens, in my experience, aren't real good at listening when being told something. So, instead of telling him I wasn't calling to cancel, and trying to reassure him, I asked him questions. Sometimes, when someone won't listen, you can get to the same point by asking questions. I asked him if there was a reason that I should cancel. He didn't know of any, so I quizzed him."

"Quizzed him?" JJ asked, confused.

Often, when someone is ready for battle, and it doesn't materialize, they lose their footing when they swing. The same thing applies to mental battles. JJ had come out swinging, and the lack of resistance threw her mind into a tail spin.

"Sure," Caleb said, and his smile was so big, it could be heard through the phone. "After he admitted that you didn't have a record, and wouldn't do anything that would damage my reputation, he agreed that I didn't have a reason to cancel tonight."

"Damage to your reputation?" JJ chortled. "You forget that I've read your service jacket AND your personnel file. Nothing can damage your reputation, but it could sure use a boost."

JJ didn't try to explain the sudden surge of relief she felt at Caleb's explanation. She didn't want to examine the excitement she felt, just from knowing that he wasn't canceling their meeting. She refused to call it a date, yet.

"Well, maybe my reputation can only be improved by hanging out with you. That was the secret that I've been trying to keep from you. Actually, it was the main reason I wanted to hang out with you," Caleb teased. "Anyone that sees me would know I'm not the ogre most people seem to think I am."

"Oh, I think that you're every bit the ogre that people think you are," JJ teased back.

"As long as they only think it, and don't know for sure, then I'm fine with it," Caleb shot back smoothly. "You'll be good camouflage. Um ... I hate to interrupt this conversation, but I need to change the subject. I picked up a rental car, so I can drive this evening. What time would you like for me to pick you up? Unless you've changed your mind, that is."

"No, I haven't changed my mind," JJ said, enjoying the exchange. "I haven't done my good deed for the year, and I'm running out of time. I decided improving your reputation was the project I would tackle. I really don't know if I have enough time to finish the project this year, though. It might spill into next year. I mean, there's only six weeks left in the year. What can I get done in that amount to time?"

"I don't know," Caleb said doubtfully. "You sound pretty confident, but I have a pretty bad reputation. I really think that any reputation improvement is probably a multiyear project."

"We'll see," JJ replied, thoroughly enjoying the exchange. "How about six o'clock? The kids are going to their grandparents for dinner tonight. Six will be early enough for you to meet them before we leave."

"Six it is," Caleb said. "I need to get going now. I've only got an hour and a half to get ready."

"I'm the one that's supposed to take a long time to get ready," JJ protested. "I'm the woman! Remember?"

"Oh, I remember," Caleb said in a low, intimate voice. "I have really been looking forward to tonight. I even bought new slacks, but I have to get them ready for tonight. Normally, I can be dressed, and out the door in ten minutes. Tonight's special. You're special, and worth the effort. See you at six," he promised.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.