Coming Home to La Petite Valley - Cover

Coming Home to La Petite Valley

Copyright© 2014 by happyhugo

Chapter 10

"Riley, what's next on your list of things to take care of?"

"Abby, I have to give attention starting tomorrow to the cattle. Jacob wants the bulls delivered to the ranchers. I have to decide how to handle them and I'll ask him in the morning for advice. We have some steers to sell and are gathered ready to go up the trail. It would be foolish to keep them for another year although we have feed enough.

"Red and Rosy want to get their home built and you could help with that. We have Winnie's crypt to build. Next time I'm in town I am going into the general store and see what they have for a casket. Then there are the four women in the bunkhouse we have to find homes for."

"Monty Sinclair and the young Rafe Jenkins were here yesterday. They came to look the girls over. Monty was taken with Matilda Jackson. The Jenkins boy couldn't make up his mind between Mary and Tina Lou. That was before Pete came. The women deported themselves very well. Oh, there was a little bit of flirting, but nothing blatant like they did at the dance hall. I do believe they really are looking for husbands and I know there are others who will be coming around.

"How come you didn't tell me this last night?"

"It was what you wanted to happen so I didn't mention it. Besides, you said my hands on your butt were the only ones that would ever touch you. I was making sure you would remember what they felt like."

"You did. Getting back to my list, there is a council meeting that I want to attend next week. The town needs a local law man. A marshal or constable should be able to handle everything. I've got until next summer before I have to relinquish my federal badge. We could use a newspaper and certainly a full time doctor. With Larry gone there is no one who knows the law. I don't want to get involved too deeply in the town's affairs. I just want to make this ranch the best it can be."

"I'm glad to hear that. I want to be the best rancher's wife I can be."

"Jacob, I am coming to you for advice. You have given us the charts of the bull's blood line. To keep such detailed records is beyond us. I thought most of the night how we could get our cattle bred and still promote keeping the benefits that you have taken so many pains to keep track off. I've come up with what I intend to do. I'm going to split my cattle into two herds and put two bulls in one and three with the remainder. That is just during breeding season. That will work for this first year of trying to improve our herds."

"Riley, that would work, I think. Remember our herds were small compared with yours here. If we had more then twenty head we considered it a large farm. We also raised ours different in that we culled the calves out as soon as they were weaned. The bull calves we sold to farms that fed them until they were big enough to sell. It was the same with the heifers. Those were grown until they were bred and sold for replacements.

"If you wanted to take the time to follow our program you could keep a few cows penned up and bred to individual bulls that way. We used to notch their ears so we knew which bull bred which cow or heifer. It is all up to you because they are your bulls. You did say you would take possession soon didn't you?

"I'm hoping to get them out of here by Wednesday. I will get my own tomorrow." I already have pasture to keep them separate. We will be along to collect them fairly early."

"You will need the fifth person if you are going to lead them."

"They can be led? We were going to drive them."

"They all have a ring in their nose. They'll follow you if you just put a light rope through the ring. If they were older you would need a pole and hook to control them. They are also used to a halter. You use both. I'll make sure you see how it is done before you leave with them. We brought them all the way from Germany without problem. In fact why don't you take one with you when you head home this morning?"

"I will do that."

"I will have one of our young men show you how to handle one of our bulls safely. Unfortunately he doesn't speak English so you will have to learn by observing."

"I can do that. I am familiar with animals." Jacob smiled because he knew I was trying to make a joke.

I had split my herd into two individual ones. The steers and culls that would be headed north by the end of the week in search of the railroad were being held in a common herd. I led the bull with me into the barn yard. Pa came out and admired the animal, amazed at how docile it was compared to our wild longhorns.

"Where is Pete this morning?"

"Doing like you told him. He is making sure our cattle are getting settled into the areas where you wanted them to pasture. You know I think dividing the cattle into two herds is smart. I figured that you should bunch them all together and turn all five bulls in with them, but your way may be better."

"Come spring I want to see if one herd has better calves than another. We will have enough hands to check them every few days and push those that do leave the herd back where they belong."

Dad was shaking his head. "Waste of time and money to keep extra hands on."

"I know, but I'm looking to the future. We are going to be increasing our herd every year for the next few. I want hands I can depend on." I had ten square miles of land and I had no idea yet how I was going to make use of it all. Pa was in his sixties, and still able, but for how long?

Red came up to me. "Cap'n, I ben lookin' 'round and think I found material closer than the river for building me a home. Tis only half mile from here on the end of the bluff. Must be a river flowed through one time an' dumped a bunch of sand in a pile. Grass was thin an I 'spected it twere sand an' I dug into it a ways. If there's sand, then there must be some clay dumped somewheres too. I'll dig around lookin' for a pit"

"Go ahead. I'm glad you found some sand. I'm going to cement up the front of a cave and I'll need some.

"Why would you's want to do that?"

"That is where my first wife lies. I found her remains in the cave when I first arrived home."

"He'rd some 'bout that. Sorry for your loss. Good thing you's had that woman with you. Takes some pain from you's."

"Thanks, Red."

Ma called dinnertime and I ate fast. I headed out to find Pete. When I found him, I told him to hunt up the other two hands and head out for the other ranches and tell them to come down to the Mennonite encampment on Wednesday to get their animals. I explained how we would be moving the bulls. "I'll go talk to Bob Sinclair since he is the farthest from here. I may be late getting back for supper."

I hadn't gone too far when I ran into Tom Duffy. He had a new hand with him. Duffy had just returned from town with Sarah. While there, he gad gone into the saloon for a drink while waiting on his new wife. This hand had just spent his last ten cents on a beer. There was a free lunch if you bought a drink and he needed the lunch a lot more than the beer. Duffy hired him.

I explained about the bulls and Tom thought he might follow my example on how to manage his herd. I left them and kicked my horse in the ribs. It was ten miles and more to the Sinclair headquarters and I moved right along. I reached there sometime after three. I wouldn't be staying long, but I did want to talk to Bob. "Get down and come in. Amy just built a pot."

First I asked about Indian sign. "Haven't see any, but you never know. The government is keeping them stirred up. They want all the Indians on reservations or dead. Not much choice for the redskins. We aren't right in their sights, but that don't mean we ain't going to get hit. We're pretty handy here with my boys and crew. If they take a few cattle, we probably will let 'em go without chasing them. We got a couple of dogs we stake out by the horse corral every night to let us know if they are after the horses."

"Maybe I should get some dogs. I fear for the new people as much as I do myself."

"Why's that?"

"They don't own guns and wouldn't use them if they had them. They make out to be against violence."

"Well if I was a praying man, I'd pray for them. Riley, you here for something special?"

"Yeah, I promised the Mennonites we would have the bulls out of there Wednesday. I found out you can lead them with a rope. I led one home this morning and it worked well enough. They will show you how it is safe to hook them up."

"Guess I can arrange that. One person per bull I take it."

"Yup."

"Can Amy handle one? I'd need her to be one of them."

"I'd think so. I'll be around anyway, I could help."

"Say, Riley, my Monty boy was down to your place looking over one of those women you got cached in your bunkhouse. Do you know the one he liked? She make a good wife?"

"Can't tell for sure. I know all of them were forced into working at the dance hall through circumstances. I'd say you would have better than even chance of it working out. There's one left that no one is buzzing around. You better come down and look her over yourself. You must have a little sap left in you. She isn't the prettiest, but she works all the time making the bunkhouse clean and comfortable. All of them have been volunteering in helping making bricks for the new people.

"Maybe I will. Anything else on your mind?"

"Yeah. You don't know anyone that could live in town and be a lawman do you? He ought to be handy with a gun, but not want to use it at the drop of a hat."

"Can't think of anyone right off."

"There's going to be a town council meeting Tuesday of next week and I'm going to bring it up. I wish you could be there." I finished up with, "So, I'll be seeing you Wednesday morning to pick up your bulls?"

"I'll be there." That all?"

"Not really. I know you are ram-rodding the cattle drive heading out Saturday. We're awful busy getting the valley put back in order. I was thinking that after you hit the trail north that you might combine with another outfit because you'll be shorthanded both in men and horses. I think these steers of ours will bring top dollar. Average is nineteen a head and top is twenty-one. Say you made a deal with another drive to take on ours and sell them for us. They would get anything over fifteen."

"How would we get our money?"

"Pick one man to rep for us."

"Riley, I could go myself, but sending Jack would be better. He's sharp and no fool. You do realize that you have the fewest cattle in the herd and won't get much money?"

"I know that and, Bob, why I'm saying this is because I'd like to have you in the meeting the week after next. I'm so damned busy I'd be willing to sell for less and I think the rest of the ranchers feel the same way just so we'd be here to tend to things."

"I'll see what develops. I admit driving a herd that far will leave us shorthanded. Maybe I'll get lucky and get in with another herd."

"I'll stand behind you any decision you make."

"Thanks, Riley."

On my way back to the home place, I met Jenkins. He had already been informed by Duffy about picking up his five bulls Wednesday. I also talked to him about supplies for the cook and his chuck wagon that were going up the trail with the herd. He was to get the last supplies he needed when he went through town ahead of the herd Saturday morning. I was sending two Mexican hands with my steers although I needed them here at home. I think all the ranchers felt the same way I did. There was so much to do at home now that the Scalawags had been eliminated.

It was barely daylight the next morning when Ma shouted at my bedroom door. "Riley, we got company. The Sinclair clan is in the yard. Tell them to get down and I'll feed them."

I threw on clothes leaving Abby half dressed and went out. Bob, Jack, Monty and a hired man were just dismounting. Amy Sinclair looked half asleep and reluctantly did the same. She was a pretty little thing and only fourteen. Bob got right to the point. "Riley, you told me yesterday you had an unattached female here who didn't have no home. Amy is up at the ranch and alone most of the time if I ain't using her for a cow hand with us men.

"I just hired me one of them Mexican hands named Juan to keep from having her out on the range and away from the house. Thought it might be time Amy learned women's ways and things. I'd give the woman a wage and a place to live if she'd pick up the house a bit and teach Amy things."

Abby was now dressed and spoke. "Mary is up and cooking already. Why don't you and Amy go introduce yourselves?"

Monty spoke up at that exchange. "I'm going too. Matilda said if I was ever close by, she wanted me to stop."

"Fine. Send Sharon and Tina Lou over here and we'll feed them. Jack, you and Juan stay here too."

"We ate, but a coffee would be welcomed."

"May be, but we got flapjacks. I'd be insulted if you didn't try them." Jack just grinned. About that time Red and Rosy came out of the barn after feeding the horses. They came into the house too, which filled up the kitchen. Sharon set places in the dining room and gave Abby and Ma room to cook.

No one dawdled long. When we came out Mary came up to Abby and me. "Riley, and Abby, Mr. Sinclair has hired me to keep his house for him. Amy hasn't had a woman in the house since her mother died years ago, and even though I'm only ten years older than Amy he has asked if I would mother her until she gets a little older. I know how to keep house, and I hope I can keep her from making the same mistakes in life that I have."

"With that attitude, I'm sure you will do fine."

"Monty Sinclair was trying to get Matilda to go along too, but he will be away with the trail drive. She said to come get her answer when he returned. Abby, I love you for being so kind to me these last few weeks. I have been so happy here with you. Riley, us girls thought you the most horrible person when you came into town that first time and destroyed the only life we were accustomed to. Now we think you are the most wonderful man. One way or another I am going to make this valley my home for the rest of my life."

"Mary, I know you'll be living miles from us. When we get settled down, there will dances and parties to bring the neighbors together. We are of the same community just as if we lived next door to each other. I wish you the best."

Red swung the buck board around and Rosy lifted Mary's few belongings into it. Amy's horse was tied to the rear gate behind. I wouldn't be surprised but what there would be a bull tied behind when Amy headed home with Mary driving. Red would return here on her horse and exchange horse for buckboard sometime in the future.

I swung up onto my horse and we made quite the cavalcade headed for the Mennonite encampment. When we reached there, Pete and my other two hands were already to hook onto our four remaining bulls. First, we spent some time getting the Sinclair outfit ready to travel with their five bulls. There was a trail next to the river that went the length of the valley.

There was a ford across the river just before coming to the Sinclair ranch on the other side. There were several places where the river could be crossed except during the spring runoff. We watched as the bulls were led away and didn't see but what the Sinclairs had everything under control.

We soon had our own bulls ready. I went cross lots with the bulls that would service the herd on this end of the ranch. When we reached the section with the cows, we released three bulls and turned them into the herd. Before they got amongst the cows they caught the scent and let out a bellow which is all it took.

The cows that were in heat came running and tried to get into position for the bull to service it. The bulls began mounting immediately and if the cows would stand, they had no problem. Always there was another cow looking for the same attention. Noise ... Every cow in heat was milling around, blatting, jumping on each other, and it was enough to deafen a person.

I worried some that the bulls would wear themselves out. Some might do that, but others would put his head down and push a cow away when he became tired. Theoretically two bulls could service this size of a herd of seventy-five, but nature saw that they wouldn't be in heat at the same time. This many cows coming at the two bulls all at once would certainly be a challenge. By the end of twenty one days they should have mounted all of the cows once and some more than once before they went out of their heat period. By the end of forty-two days (two heat cycles) I would know just how potent the bulls were.

In late afternoon we took the other bull to the smaller herd that was closest to the ranch buildings. Pa had brought down the first bull early this morning I brought home with me yesterday. This bull had been working all day. Pa was all smiles. "This one is still going strong and has a lot of stamina. I do believe they will get the job done."

The next morning Pa went to check out the herd he was with yesterday and I sent Pete to look at the herd with the three bulls. These bulls were three years old and their semen should be as potent as it ever would be. We had to watch them because there was always the chance they would hurt themselves or get hurt from the excited cows. I went down to the encampment while the other four ranchers picked up their bulls. Duffy and Sarah would be taking theirs across my range to get home.

Sharon came along in the gig and stopped to talk. "Riley, it looks like I'm going to be the only woman left in the bunkhouse. I don't know how you did it, but you managed to find a man for most of us. I'll be the last and I'm not really looking for one."

"Sharon, there must be one for you. You'll find him sometime. I intended to throw you together with Larry Brickland and I thought it would work well because you both were intelligent and educated."

"I'm glad you didn't make the effort before you found out what sort he was. I never would have entertained the idea of being with him. He was the same sort of man I put too much trust in and we know how that turned out. I'll be finding new quarters somewhere soon. I'll miss living here at the ranch. You all have been so good to me and it is the closest thing to a comfortable home since I made my first mistake."

"Sharon, don't hurry in leaving. You can move into the house. We still have one empty room."

"I can't do that."

"Why not?"

"It just wouldn't work, that's all." We stared into each other's eyes for a full minute.

"No, I guess I can see why now that I think about it and I understand. Best not to say more." I received a sad smile and she chirped to the horse and moved away to the river ford. I watched her back as she drove away, but she didn't look around.

I stopped to look around at the encampment. It looked deserted without the bulls pastured here. There were still some animals. I could see a handful of milk cows, a few goats and a dozen sheep and of course a large number of draft horses. I wondered what they would be doing with the remainder of the wagons. The ones the bulls came in were gone back to the seacoast I also understood there were more coming with people and equipment. I'd have to ask.

I decided this was a good time to go into town and see about a casket to put Winnie's remains in. I went into the General Store and found Mrs. Pickens at her desk in the rear of the establishment. "Mrs. Pickens, do you have a suitable casket that I may place the remains of my first wife, Winifred, in?"

"Hello, Riley. I can show you what I have. I also can order one for you. It will take more than a month to be constructed. People usually buy what I have on hand unless they know a particular person is near death."

"Time isn't that pressing. She is still not buried and has lain where she has for more than a year and a half already."

"Oh dear, that's sad. Most people don't buy anything too elaborate because it will go into the ground and rot."

"That won't be true in this case. I intend to have her placed in a crypt behind a solid door. I doubt the casket will rot as it is away from the weather."

"You will want something good looking in case you open the crypt. What kind of wood did you have in mind and what would like for ornamentation?"

"Can I get one made out of copper? I know it will change color over a period of time, but that will be more solid than wood. I would like it lined with cedar to help preserve her remains in the state that are in now."

"I can have the local tinsmith make one. He will want the dimensions before he begins. I can order the cedar and he can install that as well."

"That would be fine. I will give you the measurements when next in town."

"Is there anything else you would like on it to make it less plain?"

"Maybe some brass reinforcement for the corners, two filigree decorations above the inscription and four handles all of the same brass. I'll write out the inscription. Also I would like information what would normally be on her stone placed on the crypt door and that could be of hammered iron."

"It will take considerable time to get this all together. The brass will have to come from a foundry. It is also going to be quite costly."

"Cost doesn't enter into this. Banker Innes left enough money to pay for whatever I order."

"What do you mean? What does he have to do with this?"

"He is the person who shot and killed her. His name will be in the inscription and his name will live on for his deed. Some day someone will write the history of the valley. He will be known by all for killing Winifred and also for being the cause of the upheaval that has taken place within the last few months."

"You must really hate the man?"

"Of course I do, but Bert Innes did a lot for the area at the same time."

"How so?"

"Because through Winnie he placed in my hand and in my mind what his vision for the valley could be like. It never would have happened if I hadn't arrived. I'm sure the Scalawags would have turned on him and would have destroyed him before he could have implemented his vision. I'm sure he also realized this and is why he went to his death the way he did. Maybe he realized I was a more able person than he. Anyway he left a grand plan and I'm implementing it."

"Riley, I have little idea of what you just said to me. Guess it doesn't matter. I hate to ask, but I have little money coming in. Could you pay half of what I estimate the cost of the casket before I order it made."

"Certainly, I will. I will bring money when I come in with the inscription. Turning to other matters, I wanted to ask, do you have a copy of the bylaws that the council runs the town under?"

"I'll get you a copy. I suppose you want to be on the council?"

"No, I don't, but I am civic minded and want to know what goes on."

"Are those church people going to be voting?"

"I don't believe they will. They don't believe in government. They think that the government could force them to bear arms and that is against their religion. Therefore they stay away from governance altogether."

"That's strange."

"They have a lot of strange ideas, but to me they appear to be good, honest people. I like them a lot although I don't understand them. Oh, I was going to let you know that Winnie's estate gifted the Mexican community a section of land off the Tim Long property."

"I had heard that. They are practically dancing in the street. They'll be building cantinas and be bringing in all sorts of riff raft."

"Mrs. Pickens, I don't believe so. This is the first time in the history of the valley that the Mexicans here have owned land to build a home on. They will become good citizens, you just wait and see."

"Well I'm going nowhere so I guess I will see."

"I hate to bring this up, Mrs. Pickens, but I am sorry I was the instrument that took your husband from you the way I did."

"Riley, you don't have to be sorry for me. Sam was a miserable man, especially to me. My life is getting better as time goes on. I can have friends in when I want to. I've even been able to shave my prices a little to my customers. I could use a few more customers and I expect they will come when they hear how fair I treat everyone."

"That's good to hear. You do trade with the Mexicans, don't you?"

"I would, but few trade here. Sam didn't treat them well and certainly didn't trust them for he watched them closely."

"You know me and the ranchers have hired on thirteen of the men to work cattle for us. The one known as Mexican Pete is my ramrod. I trust him and depend on him greatly. I remember you used to slip me a piece of candy when I was little. If you did the same with their kids it would be a good way to build a trust."

"I will for certain. Riley, are you sure you won't come on board as a council member?"

"No, but I intend to be involved. We definitely need a law officer of some sort here in the village. If you know of one, I would like to interview him before you hire him on."

"I'll do that. I'll get started on that casket right away too. Are you going to have a service for Winifred before you put her in the crypt?"

"I am and I would like you to be present."

"That, you can certainly count on. I was almost her only friend here in the village. She would often come in and we would talk about things in general if Sam wasn't in the store."

"That's funny, Winnie kept a journal and your name wasn't mentioned anywhere in it at all."

"That is because I was afraid that if someone found it they would know she and I discussed affairs that could cause me trouble."

I looked closely at her while thinking about what she had said. "Mrs. Pickens, as time goes on things become clearer to me. I was attributing the information in the journal as having come from Winnie's friends in the Mexican community. It came from you, didn't it?"

"Yes, but I still don't want it known that we were collaborating. I thought for a long time she went away without coming to tell me she was leaving. Now I'm sorry for thinking that of her and I am so sad that she died. I never knew what happened to her, and as her friend I think you are wonderful for remembering her."

"The only way I can be at peace is to remember her. Most of what I have done here to restore the valley can be attributed to the notes she left in her journal. They were detailed and I knew right where to begin. Now I find that you had a major hand in it as well. I would like to thank you for being her friend. Men are seen at the forefront of the action, but it is the women behind the men who make the difference. Winnie certainly took it on herself to see that she didn't die in vain."

"You are very generous, Riley. Your present wife is of the same mind. I saw her in town wearing two guns. That's more extreme than most women."

"Yes, but she had already decided she loved me, and she did love Winnie and felt she could do no less than to protect me if needed. She was needed. Think about Cecilia for helping me in the bank the other day. I think I may have handled the situation by my self, but it was good she was there." I paused and realized what I had just said. Cecilia and I had killed this woman's husband. "I'm sorry, Mrs. Pickens, my mouth runs away with me sometimes."

"Pshaw, that is okay. Cecilia came and apologized, not knowing there was no need. I felt like shooting Sam several times myself and I'm glad he's gone. I feel so free not being under his thumb." Talk about being uncomfortable ... I certainly was and made my exit as soon as possible.


We got the cattle on the trail early Saturday morning. Just about everyone who could handle a horse was out guiding the cattle through the town. Bob Sinclair was the drover. We left him in charge when he hit the trail north and all men that weren't on the drive headed back through town. This was a small herd of 819 head and if we got our price, Bob would be bringing back almost $15,000 less some expense money. We would know in a couple of months.

I shook hands with my two Mexican punchers and wished them luck. This herd would be late up the trail and feed would be scarce. Bob intended to swing east in search of feed found away from the regular route. Jack Sinclair had been up the trail two years ago before the Scalawags came in and rustled last year's increase. This was just before the war ended and there weren't many herds moving. At that time a drover had to search for end of track. The tracks had moved west in the last two years. Bob figured he would head the cattle toward the same place that Jack had sold the cattle at that time.

Those of us who were headed back to the valley sat our horses and watched the herd move away. It was moving slow and the punchers who were driving it had their hands full, for always a steer here or there didn't want to stay in the herd and would try to escape. The extra mounts at least clung together in a bunch and one puncher could handle them easily. When we got back to town we stopped and ate in the diner. Someone began counting all the bad things that could happen on the drive until I told him to shut up. We didn't need to hear this.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.