Continuing Chance - Cover

Continuing Chance

Copyright© 2014 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 12

The Newlyweds, their trip to Montreal so rudely interrupted south of St. Johns, were now on their way to complete the intended voyage. The trip, unnecessarily complicated by the missing STOP sign, meant the sailing from Montreal had been changed to sailing from the port of St. John, New Brunswick.

A second inconvenience, sailing the North Atlantic in the winter months on the Empress of England, a notably uncomfortable ship in weather, meant the Anderson couple would find their sea-legs in difficult surroundings ... or not.

The Ocean is a far different animal than 'serious weather' on Lake Michigan. Lake Michigan is long but narrow and she is frozen during the winter. As recently as 1958, the Carl D. Bradley, bulker, had been lost in the storms of November. 33 men died of a crew of 35. The Lakes were treacherous.

Grace Anoli, five years younger than David, had been, from age six, his constant companion during the summer school holidays. From late May until early September the pair were compadres. They crewed in the sailboat races prevalent on Lake Macatawa. Lightnings, Bluebirds, or Solings ... whoever needed crew and would take them both.

They had had one final adventure together before David went off to University and Grace 'blossomed'. At thirteen and one half, Grace became the personification of every male dream on the West Coast of Lake Michigan.

The adventure was the Chicago to Mackinac Race of 1961. Gypsy won in 59 hours, 23 minutes 20 seconds. That was on corrected time. David Anderson and Grace Anoli were crew on Baby Cakes. After corrected time, she came in eighty-seventh out of 99 boats.

Neither David or Grace made any of the errors that resulted in such a poor showing. No ... they corrected several errors caused by poor seamanship on the part of the owner. Had they not done so, Baby Cakes, like had happened so many times before, would have been first to limp into Chicago in last place.

87th and finish was great ... the owner didn't think so. Year after year he started, broke something or lost a crewman overboard, and returned to start the party early. He had never expressed sorrow over the death of a crew ... sailboaters were expendable. Seventy-nine hours fifty-nine minutes, fifty-nine seconds was a great imposition on his drinking and womanizing time.

The person or persons responsible for this humiliation were left on the island to find their own way home. David called for his private Beech 18 and took Grace with him.

They had been unchaperoned for seven hours.

Of Greek descent with just enough Scots to produce redheads, the Anoli's were horrified. Grace was submitted to the ultimate indignity, she was probed to insure her virginity was intact. She was.

Still, she was secluded for the remainder of the summer. When finally released, Grace had become a beauty ... and shipped off to a Girls Seminary until her 18th.

Then thrown under the freight car, so to speak, she was reintroduced to 23 year old David. A match was made ... Momma Anoli was sure it was made in Hell.

Papa Anoli was positive his attorneys had made a monetary bargain.

Grace was beside herself ... she had loved David Anderson since she could crawl and he had helped her walk.

"YES!!" she exclaimed, when she was asked. The wedding guests tittered.

"Kiss the Bride," caused many of the female observers to smell very good and leave wet spots on the pew. Many spouses walked extremely close to spotted dresses.

The voyage to London was as wretched as could be expected without sinking. The Empress of England lived up to her reputation as a contrary ship. David and Grace loved it. Bedroom antics once dreamed of by both parties were much more interesting when the ship helped. No longer inhibited by the worries of incest, the Anderson/Austins were the envy of the crew and the match the goal of every single and not a few married couples ... if they were divorced ... the married Brits wished.

England reached, the couple had a wait for the Fairsky. The Fairsky, an Italian migrant ship taking land and job seekers to Australia and New Zealand, was late. Not at all unusual. The first company to win a contract to transport migrants from England to the Land Down Under that was NOT a British company, Italy based Sitmar had four ships for the trade.

The Austin/Andersons spent like sailors in port after a year voyage. The Fairsky docked just as the couple stopped spending.

With the passage to Australia taking weeks, Sitmar was well aware of the need to provide activities for the passengers. With assistance from the Purser's staff, passengers were encouraged to form a sports committee for the arranging of deck games tournaments.

Fairsky was well designed for long voyages, with five open, teak-clad upper decks including a deep swimming pool aft, courts marked for deck tennis and quoits, also ping-pong tables which were popular with all age groups.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.