Continuing Chance - Cover

Continuing Chance

Copyright© 2014 by Old Man with a Pen

Prologue

I have played fast and loose with the Ranger's Timeline. I know it, you know it. I don't need to be called out because of it. I was on the Ranger CVA 61. Even found my picture in the Cruise Book. I don't remember the picture being taken. Finding me was a surprise. So ... what you're reading is fiction ... will always be fiction ... the people existed ... but what I write NEVER happened.

You might think that. I couldn't possibly say. Old Man with a Pen Sept, 5 2014.

Please. Insert laughter and pauses as you see fit.


"Ladies and Gentlemen, it gives me great pleasure to present the next presenter. He wouldn't take no for an answer. Ladies and Gentlemen; the President of the United States."

The hush was immense, and then the President stepped out on stage. The crowd went wild. No one had any idea Eisenhower was even in California, let alone at Berkeley ... and to make a presentation?

He fussed with his Doctor's bonnet, "I haven't worn one of these since I won my dissertation and graduated Ph.D., an army helmet it is not.

"I first heard about the two I am here to see when they scored over 200 on the IQ tests. They have been watched, although I doubt they knew it. When I discovered they learned to fly at 13 and had enough money they didn't need bribing, I arranged for them to do a little flying for the United States of America.

"A little flying ... thirty-six hundred hours. They were in the air constantly for everything but the snow season surveying the Lake Michigan bottom and Lake Huron shore line. In the process they uncovered a Soviet Spy.

"When they lost their first aircraft they managed to obtain five aircraft that didn't exist in inventory. One of those planes was drafted ... but ... there wasn't the skills needed in the service. We high Mucky Mucks are hidebound creatures. When we need a skill that is unusual we draft it," Ike looked out over the assembled Seniors, "Soon after the aircraft was inducted ... so were the children. Serving at the pleasure of the President and didn't know it. They showed initiative, resourcefulness and perseverance. Exactly what the Military expects. Masters degrees at 15 and today we celebrate their achievements by this ceremony.

"It was time for me to meet them, but they sloughed my hints and suggestions. That is hard on a General. We are used to our suggestions being posted as orders. They didn't come. Every year they didn't come.

"The mountain refused to come to Muhammad ... so Muhammad came to the mountain ... and I want to congratulate them on a fine dissertation and defense.

"Lieutenant Commander Grace A. Austin, United States Navy Reserve, has been on active duty for almost four years. Her teaching skills and her devotion to country has been exemplary. Come forward Commander, I am so pleased to be allowed to present this Degree to you. You earned it."

He began applauding and the audience stood and emulated him. She shook the hand of the President, took her Parchment and made to move off the stage.

"No, no, Commander. Stand.

"Lieutenant Commander David J. Austin, United States Navy Reserve, like his twin sister, has been on active duty for almost four years. He has matched the ideals of his sister. Come, come, Commander, no hiding. I am happy to present your Doctoral Degree to you.

The applause for me was as loud and long as the applause for Grace.

"Lieutenant Commanders. It does not often happen that the Commander in Chief of this great country is allowed to promote excellence. It is my understanding, Commander Grace, that you rank your brother by one day, and you have never let him forget it."

That brought laughter from the crowd.

"Commander David, I understand you and Grace were born 15 minutes apart over the midnight hour of the Eighth and Ninth of May ... and you celebrate the Eighth and Grace celebrates the Ninth. We can't have twins infighting.

"Lieutenant Hjálmtýsdóttir. Front and center.

"Lieutenant Junior Grade, Black. Front and center.

"Commander Grace, Lieutenant J.G., Black will perform the honors.

"Commander David, Lieutenant Hjálmtýsdóttir will perform the honors.

"Remember ladies, at exactly the same time.

"Lieutenant Commander Grace Austin, Lieutenant Commander David Austin. You are out of uniform. Ladies ... proceed."

Relieved of our gold Oak leaves, the girls inserted silver in their place. At exactly the same time.

Grace stuck her tongue out at me.

We were presented "scrambled egg" covers.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I present Commanders David and Grace Austin."

Lots of applause.

Chapter 1 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.