Protection and Preservation, Book 07
Chapter 25

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

[Arnold's manuscript]

We put together a supper from the freezer and the pantry. We spent a quiet night. We sat outside for a while listening and looking at the view. The house had been built to take advantage of the view.

We enjoyed our evening. There was no natural gas but the grill had propane and there was an outdoor pit for charcoal or wood. It was dry but the water flowed. I didn't question good fortune. We could have a good shower.

We went to bed in the main bedroom in a surprisingly comfortable though soft bed. We felt safe and I just hoped that it wasn't a mistaken feeling. When we rose in the morning, I demonstrated my ability to make coffee in the drip maker while Maria cooked sausages on the grill. I found a tin of biscuit mix and mixed it using dried milk from our supplies. I made an oven with aluminum foil and cooked biscuits to complete our breakfast.

Breakfast was good and we enjoyed it outside looking around at the view and looking for any sign of people. No people or sign of people was to be found. After breakfast, we retrieved our maps to go over a route.

We determined a route that was a compromise. We didn't want to go to Acapulco or Mexico City. We were going to "thread the needle" between them because they weren't that far away from one another. Our route would get us to Morelia and away from both heading north. It would be well over five hundred miles and go through mountains. We would have to travel it to determine how long it would take. I chuckled to myself and Maria asked what was funny.

I said, "I was wondering how long it would take." She looked at me. I said, "It's not like someone is waiting for us or expecting us. We will get there when we get there and just enjoy the ride." She understood my point then and laughed with me. We ate lunch and walked outside enjoying the view. Maria cooked us a late supper when we finally went inside. We ate and went to bed. Tomorrow, we would start on more of our trip.

I had a refreshing sleep in Maria's arms. I woke to her smiling eyes and my heart was warmed again. I held her close and could feel her wonderful body plastered tightly to mine. It, the feeling of her body touching mine, did not make me want to get out of bed. We lay together until hydraulic pressure demanded we head for the bathroom. While there, we also showered and got ready to go.

We loaded up and pulled out taking our time. We had seen no people. That continued to be true as we slowly headed toward the coast. We did find that power availability was more spotty than before. We still could find places to stay. We were coming to a major intersection with our route and the highway between Mexico City and Acapulco. It was late afternoon and I saw a nice looking place. I glanced at Maria who nodded. I pulled off the road and hid the truck behind the building. We went inside and realized we weren't the first to have stopped here. We found a room that hadn't been used. While there was no power, the water pressure was good. It was a bed and breakfast business but the kitchen was useless and there was no food. We would have to cook outside on a grill if we could find one. We went next door to a grocery hoping to find food without having to use our supplies. We found very little but could cook a meal with all canned vegetables for supper. We managed though it wasn't our best.

Maria said, "This is what you meant that food would eventually not be available?"

"Yes. I didn't expect trouble this soon but this area must have seen some heavy traffic."

We were sitting out back with glasses of water when we heard the motors. Our pistols were part of our clothes now. I took Maria's hand and quietly said, "Let's find a place to look."

We ran through the backs of buildings until close to the road. Looking out we could see a black shirted group with trucks and motorcycles. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a man wave at them as they went by. Had we continued, he would have seen us!

I gently pulled Maria back into a safer position. I whispered into her ear. "There is a sentry on the road. We were lucky he didn't hear us and investigate. We need to think about crossing this road and where we will do it. I don't feel safe now at the bed and breakfast." We waited for the group to pass by before heading back. We gathered our things and replaced them in the truck. We took our emergency packs and left. I hated to leave our truck but cranking it was too big a risk at this time. I wanted to use another convoy's passing to crank it and move away from the main road. Once safely away, we could figure out a way to cross that highway unseen and unheard. I wanted to continue on our trip unmolested.

We waited two hours and heard engine noises. We ran for the truck and got in and cranked it. We gently pulled out and with as little fuss as possible left the lot and turned down the road away from the intersection. We went a hundred feet and turned on a side street. I could see the vanguard of the convoy crossing from left to right as I watched over my shoulder. We would be going in the opposite direction but there was a slight downhill. I put the truck in gear and let it just idle down the road. We went another block and the road bent away to the left from that main route. I followed it just letting the motor idle us down the road. The downhill slope increased and we continued to follow it. We got to the bottom of the hill and Maria said, "Turn right and stay in the dip." I followed her instruction. We went under a street and stopped under the bridge for the street above. I turned off the motor.

I said, "We have to watch the road for a while to find out how often they go by and how many watchers there might be."

"Do you think there is more than one?"

"I don't know. I'm not sure why that one is there. We have to figure on that likelihood. It suggests that the black shirts are a big group and well organized. I'm officially worried."

Maria said, "Arnoldo, why don't we find a place to stay and study the black shirts until we know enough about them to pass them safely and be able to avoid them in the future."

"That's a good idea. Let's find a quiet place to take the truck and stay. We'll ride our bikes or walk. I'm surprised that they or a similar group are located here. From what little we could see, it's all men and they are heavily armed. They are dressed like the ones we fought and we heard from Graciana their goal was Acapulco. It's suspicious."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.