Protection and Preservation, Book 07
Chapter 7: Janice in El Paso

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

We walked over to the fellowship hall and begin to prepare coffee for anyone who showed up. Coffee was one thing that would last a long time. Once in a can, it lasted a long, long time and Poppa Jack had us use the pasteboard containers from the stores first.

As the three of us worked together, the rest of our party and others joined us. A real breakfast was prepared. Charlie was on pins and needles. He had taken a position where he could see the door. I said, "Charlie, it's not quite half past eight. Patience. She'll be here soon enough." He was washed, scrubbed even. He was wearing nice clothes that just made it to practical. Over his pants and belt, he had a tool belt with a clip-on holster. He was carrying a thirty-eight revolver. He had a deer rifle to carry also.

I said, "Be careful when you go. Marauders are a known problem in the area. You are to come back with you and Andrea in one piece. Radios can be found again and are replaceable. Neither of you are."

He nodded. She came in a few minutes later followed by Mindy. She went to Charlie while Mindy came up to me.

I looked at them and grinned. "I guess they're ready."

Mindy grinned back. "Andrea has been pestering me to leave for an hour. They're young."

"I agree. Sometime, you must get Mike or me to tell you the story of Mike's parents. Charlie knows our rules. Both parties have to be fifteen to consent. Poppa Jack allows no exceptions even for his own son. Also, consent means consent."

Mindy looked relieved to hear that. I want to hear that story. You call them Poppa Jack and Momma Shirley, don't you?"

"Yes. They fostered me after the Day. I hung on to them when there was no one else. Bennie came later. Now, he and Robby are my rocks."

"They're pretty big and good-looking rocks, too, Janice."

"Yes, they are. I love all my spouses, Mindy. I didn't know how much I could love until we combined our marriages."

Mindy responded, "Okay. I have to go but I want to hear that story later, too."

"Okay. Bye."

A moment later, Charlie and Andrea came up to me. He said, "Mom, we're ready to go. Andy and I talked about it and we have some good places to look that should be pretty safe. Andy knows how to shoot, too."

"Andy?"

"Uh, I, uh, we, uh."

Andrea interrupted. "Missus Janice, I like it. No one's ever used my nickname other than my mother. Usually, they're too scared to say anything."

"Okay. Check in by radio every hour and stay out of trouble. If you need me, let me know and I'll come fast."

"Okay, mom." Charlie said and Andrea echoed it as they left holding hands.

I puttered around helping Pam and Melissa with the children and checking on Charlie and Andrea regularly. They had found two ham radio sites and were pulling the radios, power supplies, and other items back on wagons.

On my radio, I heard, "Mom?"

"Go ahead, Charlie."

"We need some help. We're holed up and there are men that Andy says are marauders looking for us. We're about ten blocks east of the bridge. You can see our little wagons."

"On the way, Charlie. Hang on and stay safe." I started for the door. "Bennie, Robby, Charlie's in trouble! Move!"

We were out he door and commandeered a truck and driver. I jumped in the front while Bennie and Robby went in the back. I said, "Go for the bridge! Now!" He cranked and pulled out quickly. As he drove, I told him what was happening. He said, "They must have snuck in around the roadblocks.

I said, "We're going to switch places. You get down out of sight and I'm going to play dumb and attract them. Are there guns in back?"

"Yes, but you might be captured."

"I don't think so. Follow Robby and Bennie. They know what to do. I tore along the road now driving. I heard rifle bolts and knew my husbands were armed.

Robby said, "Slow down when you see someone. Stay close to cars on your side. I'm going to roll off."

A moment later, I saw two riders up ahead and slowed abruptly. I felt Robby roll off between two cars. I went on a little further and stopped the truck. Into the radio, I said, "Charlie, stay put and quiet until one of us gives an 'all clear.' I'm going to find out who is on the horses." I got out of the truck yelling, "Charlie, Andy, where are you?" I could see their wagons up ahead. The two riders saw an unarmed woman running toward them seemingly distraught.

They cantered up and dismounted. One of them said, "Who are you looking for, honey?"

"My little brothers." I acted distracted not seeming to see the possible danger.

"Perhaps we can help you."

"Do you live around here?"

"Close but we know the area well. Also, there are some bad men around." The other snickered. I walked up close. I had unbuttoned a couple of buttons showing a lot of cleavage as well as my braless state, though in this time, that was normal. They came closer and I showed alarm.

"Who are you? You aren't part of El Paso."

"No, but we try to help people." The other man snickered again.

"I think you need to keep your distance." I looked about like I was hoping for assistance.

The first one said, "Little Lady, we need to get close to help you."

"I don't need that type of help. I want to find my brothers."

"Bitch, we've asked you nicely. Now, you will come with us. We haven't seen your brothers."

The other one laughed. "I like what I can see of you and plan to see more."

They were less than ten feet away and I said, "I don't think so." I let my voice change in warning that they may not have such easy pickings.

The second one reached for me and I whirled taking him down. The other one began to back toward his horse and I said, "Stop! You'll never make it. Don't you want to live?" I pumped my arm once and Bennie and the El Paso man could now be seen. "One is my husband and he doesn't miss. If you try anything, you'll die. Drop your gun and put your hands up." The one I downed was getting to his feet. "That includes you, too." He pulled a knife and came at me. I'm sure he knew knife play but my skills were way beyond his ability. As he fell, I almost disemboweled him with his own knife.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.