Pathways - Cover

Pathways

Copyright© 2014 by Coaster2

Chapter 14: Doing the Deed

Erotic Romance Story: Chapter 14: Doing the Deed - Ian never had a girlfriend until his second year of college. Not by choice, but by circumstances. It was a tortuous trip from youth to adulthood and a career, but he persevered. This is the story of that journey.

Caution: This Erotic Romance Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   mt/ft   Consensual  

We were lying in bed, going over the afternoon and evening of our Thanksgiving family feast. I knew that it was time for me to bare my soul to Deb. Mother had laid it all out on the table this afternoon, but when I thought about it later, eventually someone would ask that very question. After all, Deb and I had known each other for almost five years. Sure, it wasn't a continuous five years, but I think we were close enough over that time that we could say we truly understood each other. I know I didn't have any doubts. There really wasn't any reason not to ask her to marry me, except the possibility that she might say no. I'd had that happen once before and I remember just how crushing it felt. I wasn't looking for another dose of that.

I knew without even thinking about it that I had to take the chance. I wanted her in my life. She was exactly the kind of woman I wanted. It wasn't just her obvious physical charms. She was so much more than an incredible body and a smiling face. Okay, so that was settled, now what? Do I buy the ring first, or after I ask her. No, buy it first. Don't make it look like you are unsure of yourself. But what kind of ring? Maybe a phone call to her mother would help me. I'm sure she'd keep a secret for a few days. She might even know her ring size.

So we get engaged, but when do we get married? It's October now, so maybe next summer? And what about the honeymoon? Where to? I'd better start saving my nickels. We can live in the duplex for a while without a problem, but sooner or later we're going to want to buy a house. Geez, there's a thousand things to think about. I need some advice. Who should I talk to? Deb, of course. It was a shared goal and I had to get used to the idea that she would participate in every decision ... certainly the big ones.

"Sweetheart, do you feel pressured by my mom into getting engaged?" I asked.

"A little bit. I think Mom and your mom ganged up on us tonight. I think they've both decided you and I are destined to be together."

"I think they're right," I said, pulling her close to me. "I think that is our destiny. I love you, Deb, and I want you to be my wife. I want you with me always."

She smiled and kissed me, making it last quite a long time. "I love you, Ian. I've been waiting for you to ask me. You must have known I'd say yes."

"I wasn't sure," I admitted. "But I knew, even before tonight, that I had to ask you. I had to take the chance."

"There was no chance involved. I was almost at the stage where I was going to ask you," she chuckled, lightly poking me in the chest.

"So, next Saturday, we can look for a ring and make it official?" I asked.

"It is official, my man. You've asked and I've said yes and that's final. But a ring will be nice."

"We have a lot to talk about," I said. "I mean, finances and planning the wedding and all that stuff."

"Not tonight, Lover. Tonight I want you to make love to me and celebrate our engagement. We don't have to go to work tomorrow, so don't rush. Let's take our time and make it last.


"Well, we have two grandmothers-in-waiting, Ian, and we aren't even married yet," Deb laughed as she hung up the phone.

She had called her mother first at John Holland's home to tell her the news of our engagement. I had a brief talk with her and John, but both of them welcomed the coming marriage. It was interesting that Sharon put John on the phone to both of us. I thought that was significant and Deb did as well.

My mother was even more delighted, aside from her predictable "it's about time" comment. Mom intended to post a notice in the papers announcing the engagement, but realized she would have to hold off until a wedding date was set. She was dizzy with excitement and was sure that her prompt the previous evening was the catalyst for my actions. For once, she was absolutely right and I thanked her for it. Dad was a bit more subdued, but still happy for me and sincerely welcomed Deb to the family. I would leave it to Mom to tell Kenny. I was sure I'd be hearing from him.

Mom phoned Sharon Cummings after she'd returned to Sechelt and between them they proposed a date for our wedding. Neither had discussed the matter with Deb or me, of course. Mother was busy searching out appropriate churches for availability and thankfully did not book any. We found out all this later of, of course. Deb and I were summoned to my parents' home for a confab and both of us suspected what the topic would be. We were right.

"I've made a list of churches in the area that have dates available in June of next year," Mom announced. Which do you think you would prefer?"

"Well, at least we were informed of our choices?" I said rather snappishly. I felt Deb's hand squeeze mine when she saw the look of shock on my mother's face.

"We were just trying to find a suitable place for your wedding, Ian. We aren't trying to interfere," she said rather defensively.

"I was hoping it would be more of a consultation, Mom. This is being presented to us as a done deal. I think Deb and I would like to discuss the when and where before we make any commitments."

I could see the look of surprise and consternation on my mother's face and it was Dad who intervened and cooled an awkward situation.

"You haven't been committed to anything, Ian," he said quietly. "I think it's a good idea for you and Deborah to talk it over and decide first of all, when you want to get married, and then, where. We aren't trying to force you into anything. Forgive your mother's enthusiasm. This is a big event in our lives and she only wants to let you know how supportive of you she is."

If anyone could put out the fires of hell, it would be my father. He was the coolest, most together man I'd ever known, and time and again he showed just how cool he was. Mom, on the other hand, was on the verge of tears.

"Please don't be upset, Sandra," Deb pleaded. "We're not angry. We want to talk about this first. It's the biggest step we've ever made in our lives and we want to be certain and confident we're doing the right thing."

My mother sniffed and nodded, her eyes now red and her face showing embarrassment.

It took a while before the mood in the house returned to something normal. Kenny was a big help when he turned up with Nancy in tow. That changed the atmosphere immediately and by meal time, Mother was back to her old self once more.


"That could have been a disaster," Deb said as we drove home. "But you were right. This was for us to decide and not just accept what our parents wanted. I know my mother was involved, so I'm sure there will be some discussion with your mother about tonight."

I nodded. "I was angry at first. It was like I was some little kid again and she had to organize my life because I couldn't do it for myself. I can't let her do that, no matter how much I love her."

"I know, and I'm proud of you for that. I suppose when the time comes that I do something like that, you'll be the first to tell me that I'm out of line," she grinned.

"You won't know until it happens," I said, not looking at her.


We had a terrific Christmas. Since Deb couldn't take any extra time off from her new job, we held it at Mom and Dad's home. We didn't get any argument from Sharon. She would be staying with John for the holidays and then the two of them were departing for Hawaii just before New Year's. I wondered when they would make it permanent, but neither Deb nor I was about to quiz them on it. One thing for certain, Sharon was very happy and comfortable in John's company. They made a very nice couple and looked married to anyone they might meet.

John had lost his wife at the very young age of thirty-six. He had been a bachelor for fifteen years, concentrating on his accounting business. He was a very much sought-after forensic accountant and had achieved a measure of fame, taking down a very skilled fraud artist who had scammed the government out of tens of millions of dollars on a phoney waste management scheme.

The arrest and conviction of the principals in the scheme resulted in the resignation of the cabinet minister responsible. Two mid-level bureaucrats were swept up in the aftermath for accepting bribes to push the scheme through. Some of the money was recovered, but much of it was lost with the suspicion that when the fraudster got out of prison, he would have a nice pension from his ill-gotten gains.

--John was semi-retired now, having just turned fifty-five. He was handsome and fit and enjoyed several of the same things that Sharon did; namely golf and fishing. He introduced Sharon to many of his golf club friends and her winning personality and association with John bought her almost instant acceptance. This was a life she had never known and to both Deb and my surprise, she fitted in very well. We were waiting for two things: the announcement of their engagement, and the sale of the Sechelt home. John had a magnificent home in the British Properties.


There was something I hadn't done yet. I had never told Deb about my involvement with Bernie. It probably wasn't necessary because the chance of their meeting was remote, but I didn't want to have something in my past come up that I hadn't revealed to my future wife. I could almost see my mother mentioning her at some point and I'm sure Deb would want to know what the whole story was. We were lying in bed, not yet ready for sleep.

"I've never told you about the one other girl in my life," I began. I saw a look of surprise on Deb's face when I glanced at her.

"Go ahead," she said calmly.

I told her the whole story, from our kid days playing schoolyard ball all the way to our chance encounter in Guelph. I told her about losing contact with Bernie in grade ten. I confessed that our reuniting in Guelph made me think I was in love with her and would have married her, but she turned me away. It wasn't until Deb and I reconnected that I realized the difference between infatuation and love. I was trying to recreate a memory and it would never be as good or as fulfilling as the real thing. With Deborah, I had the real thing.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.