Protection and Preservation, Book 05 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 05

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 15

[Jack]

It took a while for the greetings and hugs to end. When they did, Shirl and I brought Michelle over to Janice. I said, Janice, I need a favor."

"Of course, Poppa Jack. What can I do?"

I said, "You need to listen to Michelle's story and tell her the good news. Do it privately and quietly, but do it now."

Shirl and I smiled and nodded to Michelle. Janice took her hand to lead her away from the crowd.

Robby came up to me with the rest of the marriage and we exchanged hugs and kisses. Robby said, "Where's our wife going?"

Shirl said, "We have given her a mission with that young woman. Two old stories will be told and issues will be resolved. She will be back to you all shortly."

Bennie shrugged knowing that Janice's only parents were Shirl and I. He said, "The plane is toast. Tom and Vic said that they would find another one for us. Janice made a great dead stick landing though I had to help push on the pedals. The electrical short could have been fixed but the landing wasn't kind to the frame."

Pam said, "Jack, what was going on here?" She had noticed the three dead guys.

I said, "The leader was Max. He didn't like Ted remonstrating with him for looking at Shirl and I took his challenge. He knifed himself when he tripped." Robby looked at me for a second and then grinned. I continued before he could say anything, "Ted, ordered the other two to disarm. When that one had a hidden gun, Ted shot him. The other tried to go for his and I shot him.

"From what little we have been able to piece together. The three were the leaders and dictated to the rest how they would live and it wasn't pleasant. We will probably get a lot of new people applying for membership. Michelle will come back with us to Preservation. Some others may also. We need to question each person in mixed teams and decide what to do on an individual basis. Some may not be salvageable."

I didn't know if Robby knew what I meant but Bennie sure did. I continued, "Would you four be willing to form two of my questioning teams?" They all nodded. "Fine. Pick two people and separate them from the rest, get their histories, find out what they want, how their desires might fit into one of our communities, if they will." They nodded. They went over to the group of girls and politely culled two out. Robby and Melissa took one and Bennie and Pam took another. I had other couples with us take a person to question. Ted went with Shirl while I tried to go over everything and make sure we wouldn't be surprised. George said that more people were coming from the group he had met. He thought from their discussion that they were part of the same group. I wasn't sure what might happen when they found out about their three dead folk but wanted to be ready.

I had sentries spread out in pairs and was soon advised that a group of about twenty was on its way toward our position. While I had been waiting, I talked with my Dad and Mitch about what they found. They both agreed that the fire had been set though they weren't sure if the spread was accidental or carelessness. I thanked them and suggested that we get our rifles to meet the next group. After grabbing our rifles, I asked our sentry group where the new folk were coming from. I decided to meet them as they entered the clearing rather than wait. The three of us moved into a position as we saw them approach.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.