Protection and Preservation, Book 05 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 05

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 10

[Jack]

They flew into the Carrollton airport to be met by Shirl and me and by Bennie's dad and step-mom. It felt good to have them back but I knew something was different.

Bennie and Janice talked for a day. I could tell they were troubled about something but waited for them to talk to us when they wanted. Shirl said that I should ask them what was wrong but I counseled that we should wait.

They came over the next morning after breakfast and chores. Bennie said, "We need to talk to both of you, please." Shirl was a little shocked since Janice had always been the talker. We nodded and all four of us sat at the kitchen table. The kids were at their schools for the day.

After sitting down with coffee, Bennie said, "We have a good problem. We know what we want but aren't sure how to go about it." Shirl and I both nodded gravely.

Bennie continued, "In our travels, we have met many people. Until we were at Protection, we had never met anyone who seemed to be in our league in skills and who was more than a friend. Now, we have.

While we have been at Protection, we have stayed at the home of Robby, Pam, and Melissa. As Janice and I have found each other to be soul mates, we have both found them to also be our soul mates. We have talked to them and we want all five of us to be married." He stopped.

Shirl and I looked at each other for a moment and Shirl said, "We have met all three of them and they seem to be wonderful people. I am sure neither community would have a problem with the marriage. So, what's the real issue?"

Janice spoke up softly and said, "Where do we live? They're there and we're here."

I said, "I can guess some of what they have said about moving to Preservation. What is your reason for not moving to Protection?"

Bennie looked at Janice. She said, "Our families are here. You and Momma Shirley are the parents that I never really had as well as the brother and sister that I never had. I can't leave you two. Bennie's dad is here and we have an interest in the machine shop, too." Bennie nodded, too. They both looked troubled.

There was a silence until Shirl said, "What do you want from us? We won't make the decision for you. However, there are a couple of things that you had not thought about too much.

"First, you are rarely here. Your exploring duties take you away from here to the point that you have to have someone watch over your farm and house. We love having you here and the kids do, too. It's just that you two travel.

"Second, a new solution has arisen. You fly. That means you can go from place to place rapidly and easily. The possibility of living somewhere else and commuting by plane to see us as often as you want is a real possibility."

Both of them brightened at those points, particularly, the second. I said, "The only issues I see to Shirl's second possibility are maintenance and fuel. You would have to talk to Tom and Vic about the first. The second is that we ought to use the fuel we have. It will eventually go bad though, with care, it should last for many, many years."

I had paused. Then, I said, "I suggest that you spend a few days here and then fly back. When you get there, sit down with Pam, Melissa, and Robby and figure out a way to make things work if that's what the five of you want rather than looking for reasons why it won't."

I could tell that put a different line of reasoning in their minds. Both looked relieved as they contemplated looking at the situation from a different point. As they thought, Shirl said, "Mary will be home soon. I need to fix her a snack."

Janice jumped up, "Let me help." Shirl nodded and they started preparing a snack for our younger child. Mike spent all day at school now. We had class levels but no limits on how fast a person could progress through them. Our "Amazons" were still teaching and didn't subscribe to some of the "progressive" notions popular before the Day. Their point, which I endorsed, was that they were to teach. They were not supposed to teach students how to be civilized. Only one pupil had ever been a problem. His parents came to the school and complained.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.