Protection and Preservation, Book 04
Chapter 34

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

[Preservation – Janice]

When we arrived, Mitch reported that the incursions into his fields had stopped and had not started back. He said that no one had gone over to the little valley since we had left. He had received the report of the meeting and had no problem with the decision and procedure. Our plan was to go over to the valley tomorrow after setting up a place to stay while we were here. We rode over close to the little valley and found a house in moderately good shape. The ones adjacent to it were not in as good shape as ours but we cleaned them out and made them livable. We cooked supper and settled in for the evening. With the travel and the cleaning, we had had a full day.

I woke up in the morning to the delightful smell of breakfast cooking. Feeling a warm, empty spot next to me told me that Bennie was involved in the cooking. I got moving and dressed heading for the kitchen area. I followed my nose. There, I saw an interesting sight. Bennie was seated quietly drinking coffee. Laura was cooking and directing Kevin who was helping her.

She saw me and said, "I woke early and went over to Mitch's. He gave me some eggs and bacon along with a few other things. We found coffee while cleaning and have plenty. Would you and Bennie go wake the others and bring them over?"

I nodded and said, "Yes, we'd be glad to." Bennie and I went to the other two houses and woke the rest and told them that breakfast and coffee were almost ready. The word, coffee, energized everyone and, within five minutes, everyone was gathered in the kitchen with appetites and cups. Laura had made an omelet with onions, green peppers, and crumpled bacon. It was excellent! Everyone complimented her on her cooking. She beamed.

As we were finishing eating, Bennie said, "That was great, Laura. It looks like you drafted Kevin to help you and it's good to see him work." Bennie grinned at him.

Kevin said, "I don't mind helping. Laura came over and woke me to help her."

Bennie said, "That was a great job by both of you. Now, we need to set a schedule of what we're going to do. I think we'll observe today. Tomorrow, we need to discuss a more detailed plan with a time line. Does that suit?" There were nods all around. "Janice, would you help Laura and Kevin clean up and then join us. I'll take the rest of us over to the high side of the valley to observe."

I nodded and began to gather dishes with the help of Kevin and Laura while the rest filed out.

After they were gone, Laura said, "You're our chaperone?"

"No, I'm just helping out here before we go out to the valley. We won't be far behind them with three of us working." We did finish quickly and went to the barn out back and saddled our horses and rode over to the valley and join the observation.

When I got there, I asked, "Ann, what are you hoping to find, or not find?"

"Janice, I hope we see them using tools or, at least, using some kind of language to communicate. I hope we see something that suggests intelligence and thinking. That would suggest that we can build on what we find and communicate with them.

"Amos is checking out the low end of the valley. He wants to find out where they're getting out and where they are going. Those deer have to eat."

Bennie said, "We're all here. Ann, who do you want to observe with you?"

She said, "I would like Laura and Carolyn to stay with me. Carolyn had done some post‑graduate work before the Day on this type of issue, more or less. It also fits my learning disability specialty. Laura is a fast writer and great note taker."

Bennie said, "Okay. The rest of you except for Kevin will come with Amos and me. Kevin, I want you to stand watch. Don't look in the valley and don't watch the observers. Cover their backs. If they get too busy, they won't be aware of their surroundings and something could sneak up on them and cause harm."

Kevin nodded, "I can do that."

Bennie responded, "Good, wear a radio. Janice, you and I will wear radios, also. I want to know about problems before they occur."

"Roger." Kevin and I chorused.

We hooked up and tested. We left the two women, Laura, and a watchful Kevin. We mounted our horses and left with the rest. I said to Bennie, "Do you think he will be okay?"

Bennie nodded and said, "Yes, I believe so. He will be careful. We may get a warning when there is nothing, but that works for me."

We followed the ridge on one side of the valley as it went downhill. I had a topographic map of the area and knew we were headed for a large creek or small river. We reached the creek and looked to our right. We could see the small stream from the valley but there was no way to reach it from our vantage point.

Mitch said, "I know this little river. It empties into Logan Martin. If we go about three miles downstream, we can cross it and move up the other side."

Bennie and I looked at each other and Bennie said, "Go ahead. We'll wait here in case anything exits the valley while we're waiting for you to come out the other side."

I looked at Bennie and said, "You're a little worried about our observers."

He answered, "Yes. It's been too quiet and too easy. I'm suspicious. The hair on the back of my neck is up. I just feel like it's the calm before the storm and I don't want to lose anyone."

"As soon as Mitch shows up, let's ride toward them. We'll be closer if your feeling is right. Mitch's party is big enough to take care of itself."

He nodded. We could see Mitch riding along the shoreline on the other side when the radio said, "This is Kevin. I think there might be a problem. Bennie, Janice, I could use your help, I think."

Bennie said, "On the way!" We turned our horses and began to gallop toward Kevin and the others. I heard a rifle up ahead of us. I keyed the mike and said, "We're heading your way fast. Talk to us. What's happening? What was the shooting for?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.