Protection and Preservation, Book 02
Chapter 12

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

[Tennessee]

We got back and George bandaged my arm. He wanted me to have a sling but I said I needed both arms. I saw Melissa when that discussion was occurring. She grinned at me and said, “Yeah, getting shot in the arm doesn’t stop people.” Pam went over and gave her a hug. It was suggested that Jim Bob and I sleep, wake early and come up with a plan. I agreed. Besides, my arm hurt.

It was a single bed but Pam and I didn’t use much bed anyway. We went to sleep and I was awake by five in the morning. I woke Pam and we got moving. Over coffee and a light breakfast, I went over with Jim Bob what happened over night. Our bridge groups had been attacked repeatedly. They had fought off the attackers with only one loss.

I told Jim Bob that I still didn’t understand what was so important about this location. George was there with us and said, “I really don’t understand it either. I suggested to Jim Bob that, either it’s a great vantage point that overlooks something important or it’s their chosen place to defend against us. It is hard to make either one make sense. We have counted thirty-two casualties on their side.”

I said, “They feel it’s important for some reason. I’m going to take binoculars and go to the top of it. Maybe that will give us a clue.”

A new small SUV had been found for us. We went to the bottom of the bridge and cleaned out what was left of our equipment from the damaged SUV that we had used. Once loaded, I told our folks there what we were going to do and cautioned that our actions may provoke a violent response from the Memphians. We left them and went to the western approach, told them what we were going to do. I told them to be watchful and warn the east side. We went up the south lanes of the bridge and stopped hidden by a burned out Memphian SUV. It gave us some cover from the south. We got out and saw immediate activity. There was an attack coming to the east side. I warned them and they readied a launcher. Pam watched the southern landscape with the binoculars while I took aim at the lead Memphian vehicle with my rifle. It was a few hundred yards away and I shot out the windshield stopping it. They were driving fast enough that the second one couldn’t dodge and hit adding to the carnage. They retreated.

Pam said, “Robby, I think I’ve got it. Look down that street.” She pointed to a street just east of our chosen route. I took my binoculars and scanned. Two blocks down, I saw it. We were able to see their headquarters. I believed that I might be able to hit it with a rocket.

“Good work, Lovie. Tell the rest with as much detail as you can. I’m going to take a shot down there and see if it gets their attention.”

She chuckled, “You know it will, Robby. Be ready to duck.”

I thought a moment, “You’re right. As soon as I fire, we’ll move west about a hundred feet and stay low.” She nodded and I could hear her talk over the radio telling our people what we had seen and what I was going to do.

I fired five quick shots and they hit persons standing at the edge of the building that appeared to be their headquarters. Staying low, we ran. Pam was right. They didn’t like that. An attack was begun on each approach to the bridge. Before I could shoot again, a rocket slammed into the bridge where we were and exploded. “Under the bridge group, go to the east approach and support them. One more shot like that and we’ll lose the bridge. We moved another hundred feet or so and watched as a second rocket landed close to the spot where we were. I yelled, “Come on, Lovie. Let’s get out of here!” We ran down the bridge keeping low with our rifles ready.

Three more rockets struck the bridge tearing large chunks of it away and raining the pieces on the place where our crew had been. The Memphians weren’t willing to use their rockets in a firefight and we were. That made the difference. Both ends of the bridge beat back the attacks upon them. I decided that we may have lost another vehicle but didn’t want to go back and check. We regained our headquarters and I spoke with Jim Bob and George.

“People, their headquarters can be seen from the bridge. We need to protect the bridge and watch for flanking attacks. I think Pam and I will go out tonight and scout ahead and attempt to find out what’s there.”

George said, “I don’t think you should. We need you to direct our overall effort. No one knows tactics as much as you nor has the confidence of the fighters like you do.”

Jim Bob said, “He’s right. We need you here to direct things. It’s time to be a general and quit being a captain albeit an extremely talented one.

“We have people who are capable scouts and even some who know Memphis pretty well. They need to scout and you need to direct them from here.”

Pam said quietly, “Robby, they’re right. You can’t be everywhere and here is the where that you can accomplish the most.”

I wasn’t happy but I nodded in agreement. First, I knew when I was outnumbered. Second, they were right. George and Jim Bob had set up a table with maps and radios and I was conducted to them and given a chair. Charles and another young man with wounded legs, Mike, were there to operate the radios and mark maps. Melissa was there with her bandaged arms to run errands. Pam was there to make sure I “generaled.” When she got tired, George, Jane, or Judith was there. I was allowed to get up to go to the bathroom. Meals were brought to me along with water or any other beverage I might request. I sent four pairs of scouts on foot. Two were to go along each side of our planned route. The other two were sent east and west to look over more area. I thought about sending them without even pistols but decided that they should be able to fight. They did wear vests and were fully armed. One was a couple and the other three pairs were four men and two women. I reminded all four that their radios were their most potent offensive weapons. We could bring force to bear if we knew where. Their job was to find out where and get back or wait after sending us their information. Above all, they were to try to be invisible.

The two pairs going close to our line of march would wait until evening. The other two pairs would go out now. I emphasized that they should stay on the shaded side of buildings and not try to travel quickly. We waited. I didn’t do that well when waiting on others I had sent on a dangerous mission. Pam kept my temper in check as we waited for radio reports. By dusk, we had a report from each pair that all was quiet. One said that they were continuing to travel toward the river while the other was going up in a building in an effort to get a better view. Both reported smoke in front of our projected path. We were going to relieve our front three posts. We were also tight on people. Both approaches were heavy in women while the middle group, which we had reestablished, was more lightly armed but mostly men. Our trip forward attracted attention as I had hoped. Our two pairs of scouts left during this time heading out and away before coming back in close to our eventual line of advance. Our first reports from each pair were good. Two hours later, we heard shooting to our left. I heard one of the men whisper, “Trap! They got Marshal and I’m hiding. They nicked my arm. There are about forty on this side about a block off the main street.”

I heard and made a u-turn motion with my hand. Charles said, “Neal, when you can, head back here. Are you sure about Marshal?”

“I’m afraid so. He was in front and they didn’t give him a chance. Neal out. I will get back when I can.”

Pam finally got me to lie down and rest if not sleep. I did it because I knew she was right and there were plenty of people to listen to the radios and even make decisions. There was no attack on the bridge over the night.

About dawn, the pair on the right reported in as I was waking. “Base, this is April. Do you copy?”

Charles acknowledged her and said to go ahead.

“We are up about ten stories in a building. We walked up and can see ahead a pretty good distance. To your left is a large grouping of Memphians. I believe it may be their main base and that’s what they are protecting. It you came down our road, you would flank them and have clear fields of fire into their positions. They have some people at each block hiding in buildings on both sides but particularly the left side.

“It also looks like the road next to the left is under guard and patrolled.

“Base, they need to be stopped. We can see posts with dead people on them. They are torturing and killing folks. We’ve used the binoculars standing back from the windows and it’s not pretty.”

I came over to the radio and spoke into the mike, “Ladies, stay back from the windows and continue to watch. It sounds like you have a good location. Pick some escape hatches and places to hide just in case they decide to think. From now on, please report hourly. Base out.”

“Roger. April and Meg out.”

A moment later, we heard, “Base, this is Carrie with Brian. We are about fifteen blocks from the smoke column and are trying to get high. We haven’t seen anyone regularly. There have been a few cars riding around once in a while but we’ve been careful. We will call later. Carrie out.”

Charles said, “Roger, Carrie. Base out.”

“Base, this is April. There are four SUV’s moving your way now. The bridge center point should be able to see them in a moment if they hold course.”

“Roger, April. Break. Bridge Center, do you see anything yet?”

“Bridge Center to Base. We see them but we don’t have anything that will stop them.”

“Roger. Stand by.” Charles looked at me. I pointed my fingers together. He nodded. “East and West Approaches, this is Base. Get your rockets ready. East take the front and West take the back. West goes first. Four SUV’s reported. Be ready.”

“Roger.”

“Roger.”

A minute and a half later, I heard, “This is West taking our shot now.” We could hear the whoosh followed by the explosion. ‘Got the back one. Readying second shot.” I heard a whoosh and explosion.

“This is East. We got the front one. The other two are trying to evade.” Another whoosh and explosion and West said, “Got number two. Readying again if they come toward us or Center.” Another whoosh and explosion later, East said, “We damaged it and they are getting out and charging us on foot.” We heard lots of rifle fire. East said, “That got ‘em all. None surrendered and none survived. Earl got his arm nicked but we can bandage it here.” It became quiet again.

“Base, this is Bridge Center. We would like to stand down in place. Can the scouts warn us?”

I picked up the mike, “This is Base. Center and Approaches may stand down. Keep someone awake for the radio and for any sneakers.”

“This is East. Roger.”

“This is Center. Roger.”

“This is West. Also, roger.”

Hours passed and nothing happened. I rested some more. Waiting is not fun. It was late afternoon before we heard from anyone.

“Base, this is Meg. It looks like eight or ten SUV’s, Humvee’s, and trucks are getting ready. I think they are going to come down the street next to the left rather the one they have been using. April is watching over that way. I’m watching in front and to the right.”

“This is Base. Thank you. Let us know when they move out.”

“Base, this is Brian. Carrie is resting. I confirm Meg’s report. I am waking Carrie and we are watching closely.”

“This is Base. Roger. Break. Bridge East, Center, and West from Base, get everyone up and ready. This may be their main push. We will be ready to reinforce any position.” Jim Bob went around alerting everyone.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.