Protection and Preservation, Book 01 - Cover

Protection and Preservation, Book 01

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

Chapter 15

[West Georgia]

The next day started our process of setting up a station. After a lot of discussion, we decided to use a neighbor's house that was closer to the road and somewhat centrally located. It had some big rooms that would work for meetings, also. We went there and were met by Ed and Janice who had volunteered to help. It was obvious even to me that they were an "item" though there was something wrong. I didn't know what it was though and just ignored the feeling. I later wished I hadn't. I didn't realize until later that people considered Shirley and I an item also. I had brought my bow and some arrows along with some strong twine and heavier rope at Shirley's request.

Shirley picked the largest tree close to the house. She said that we needed to run a line over a high branch and would pull the antenna up to it. Now, I understood the bow and arrows. I picked an arrow and tied one end of the twine to it. I picked a branch high in the tree and gently let fly. I wanted the arrow to go over the branch and lose its way falling to the ground. The first shot was too hard but the second one worked. An hour later, we had an antenna in the tree for the HF bands and one mounted on the house for VHF with coax running to a room in the house. Right now, we brought it in through an open window. Shirley said we would clean it up later. Twenty more minutes of work connected the two radios and we were on the air. We called Ted on the 165 repeater and he answered that our signal was good. He agreed to listen for us on HF though we were really too close for that to work well.

Shirley began calling "CQ" on HF but received no answer. She said we would try off and on during the day and evening.

"Jack, there are a number of bands and frequencies on each band. It's not surprising that we didn't get a reply on our first try."

"I understand, Shirl. It would have been nice to have made a contact." It was quiet and I heard a rhythmic grunting from another room.

"Ed and Janice seem to be making contact." Shirley said and giggled.

I looked at her and gave her my best leer. "There are other rooms available."

"Not yet, Jack. That will be an important event for me."

"Are you a vir--"

"No." She cut me off quickly. "There haven't been many. I'm choosey and there's plenty of time to make that choice."

I came up close to her and kissed her lips gently. "Okay, I'm not in a hurry either."

"Good. Let's go outside. I want to look at your truck. We need to mount a radio or at least get ready to mount a radio in it. I like that truck better than the one we took that has a radio. We can give it to Ed or someone."

I went willingly as I wanted to escape the sounds of Ed and Janice. The sounds aroused me and I didn't want to push Shirley or myself. We actually did look over my truck. Shirley suggested that another trip to Atlanta would be a good idea if only to raid the ham store there. She said that we could pick and chose from new radios to fit as best as possible and get the right antennas along with anything else not nailed down.

We walked around holding hands until Ed came out. Ed asked what we were doing and we told him about the trucks and another trip to Atlanta. He was not excited about another trip. He said he didn't want to expose Janice to the dangers of Atlanta. I felt that he didn't want to expose himself but kept that to myself.

It was late in the afternoon and they took the other truck and went to Ed's parents' house. We stayed and tried the radio some more. I went outside and called my parents telling them where we were and why we were there.

I came back in the radio room and said, "Dinner in an hour."

Just as I said that, I heard "CQ, CQ. This is Charlie, WX4XA, in Columbia, South Carolina, is anybody out there? CQ, CQ. This is Charlie, WX4XA, in Columbia, South Carolina. Over."

Shirley keyed the mike and said, "WX4XA, this is K4SAA, Shirley, in West Georgia. Over."

"K4SAA, this is WX4XA. It's good to hear someone. I read you 5-9. How are things where you are located?"

"WX4XA, K4SAA. Charlie, there are lots of dead people here. We are not far from Atlanta and there is almost no one alive there. I am with family here, Charlie. Is there someone with you?"

"No, Shirley, I am alone. I think there are a few people in Columbia but not many. Would your family welcome another person? I really want to be with people."

"Charlie, I will have to ask but you will probably be welcome. How is the power over there and food? Do you have a vehicle? Over."

"Shirley, power is still on and there is food in the stores. I have a car and can mount my rig in it for HF mobile as well as for two meters."

"Okay, Charlie. Hang tight. As I said, I must talk to the family first. We, Jack and I, will call you back in..." She looked at me. I held up three fingers. "Three hours from now. We must travel and gather folk for a decision. Same frequency."

"Roger, Shirley. I will be waiting for you. I will continue to call CQ on this frequency while I wait."

"Roger, Charlie. This is K4SAA. Clear."

She turned the volume down and I could faintly hear Charlie saying, "WX4XA. Clear."

She said, "Well, we made a contact and that's good. Let's go to your parents' house. We need to talk to them about Charlie and I want to use your computer to look him up on QRZ " [Ed. note: QRZ.com exists but the calls used in this story were not in its database when I first wrote this story.]

"Okay, Shirl. Let's go." As we walked out, I added, "I guess we need a computer here and an Internet connection?"

"Jack, that would help. It would give us a way of checking on people at least a little bit."

"That makes sense." We got in my truck. "We need a radio in here, too. You're right."

She grinned, "I know." I grinned back and drove to my parents' house. She held my hand all the way there. I parked the truck and we got out.

She went inside and I went over to my dad who was working on his tractor putting a different implement on the back. "What'cha doing, Dad?"

"Setting up to plow that rough patch that we haven't used in a year or two." He answered. "We don't have to use that area but I have in the past and I want to make better use of our land, now. What did you and Shirley find?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.