Protection and Preservation, Book 01
Chapter 12

Copyright© 2014 by radio_guy

[Atlanta, Georgia]

"Stop," said the voice. "I want you to stay where I can see you."

"Sorry," I said, "supper is waiting and I'm going in to eat. You do what you want but I'm not going to play your game." I walked over to the apartment and went inside to a worried Shirley who gave me a tight hug. "It's okay. I think we have a young person who really doesn't want to kill. Holler to Ed to come in and eat. If they didn't shoot me, they won't shoot him. They might come in."

She leaned out the door. She shouted, "Ed, come on in for supper. If your gun toting friend wants to join us, they are welcome."

Ed gave her a surprised look but slowly rose and headed for the door. I heard, "Wait!" He hurried inside and we closed the door behind him. We sat down for supper making sure we weren't in any line of sight through a window or line of fire through the door.

Ed said, "You had me worried there. I was afraid we were going to be shot."

"Could have been." I said. "I think our shooter is young and very unsure of themselves right now."

A few minutes later, we heard a knock at the door. I waved Ed and Shirley to stay put while I went to the door. I stood to one side and asked, "Who's there?"

"It's me. I want to talk."

"So, talk. We're listening."

"How can I trust you guys?"

"That's your problem."

"But..."

I interrupted, "You have to make choices in life. We are not interested in shooting you except in self-defense. You started things off with a gun, not us. Now, if you want to talk, you can do it outside through the door or put your gun down and come through the door and join us for supper."

"Okay, I'm coming in."

"Your choice. Keep your hands where we can see them and open the door slowly."

The door opened and two hands appeared. "Okay, come on in." I said. In shuffled a person in very baggy clothes holding their hands out in front of them. "Shirley, pat 'em down. We don't want guns suddenly drawn on us here in Ed's apartment."

Shirley gently patted down all the pockets of this person. "Okay," she said. "She's clean."

My suspensions were verified. I thought the voice sounded young and female. I said, "Okay, Miss," stepping over and sitting down, I continued, "have a seat and tell us who you are and have some supper." It was hard to make out any shape under the heavy clothes so I took Shirley's word that this was a female. The face looked female, at least, and youngish.

"My name is Janice Carter. My mom and I lived in the complex. We didn't get sick. She went out to the grocery store two days ago and never came back. I found the rifle in the next apartment and took it."

"How old are you, Janice." Shirley asked.

"I just turned eighteen." She began to sob. Shirley moved to hug her. I got up and went outside. Retrieving her rifle, I returned and waited while Shirley calmed her down. She finally stopped crying and said, "I just realized I won't go to school again. It's all over."

"No, Janice, it's not all over." I said, emphasizing all. "There are some good people left and, if we work together, we will survive and prosper."

Shirley said, "Tomorrow morning, we will search for your mom. It's not good that she didn't come back. We do suspect there might be some bad people out there."

Shirley calmed her down and got her talking. She actually was a very smart and brave young lady for eighteen, if she was even that old. As it was getting late, I suggested that we turn in. Ed's apartment was a two bedroom and I suggested that Shirley and Janice take the spare bedroom. I would sleep on the sofa for two reasons. First, I didn't want to sleep with Ed. Second, I wanted to keep watch and knew I would wake easily and early. The girls went into the bedroom closing the door. Ed said, "Do you want me to keep watch later?"

"No," I answered, "I am a light sleeper. I will waken if anything starts to happen. I'm also an early riser and will be up and checking things out in the morning."

"Okay, but wake me if you need me."

"I will. G'night."

The night was quiet. I woke at sunrise rested and ready. I quietly got up and put on my shoes and started to go out. The door to the spare bedroom opened and Shirley came out. She was dressed. She looked at me. "Are you going out?" I nodded. "Let me go with you."

"Yeah. Sure." We went out closing the door behind us. I stood and listened for anything. In the distance, I heard a motor fading away. Other than that, I heard nothing. I could tell Shirley was also listening. I could feel her relaxing as I did. Neither of us heard anything threatening. That was good.

"What do you think?" she asked.

"About what?"

"Everything."

"Okay, I think Janice's mother is dead or badly hurt. I think there is some realistic hope your parents survived. I think we are going to have to prepare for a future without many people in the world. I think we are going to have to be self-sufficient. I think you're a good person to watch the sunrise with. That's about it for now. Oh. I think I'm getting hungry."

"Men!" she huffed, chuckling. "Thanks for the compliment and I agree."

"About what?"

"Everything."

"Good, then let's start breakfast."

"Men! Okay." In we went and went through Ed's groceries. We started coffee and breakfast.

Ed woke to the smell of coffee and came out. Janice heard us and came out, also. She looked better for having rested. We ate breakfast.

I said, "Janice, why don't you pack your stuff and your mother's and join with us. I'm sure you will be better off at the farms than here." She nodded. "Ed, pack your stuff. Shirley, would you go with Janice?" She nodded. She and Janice left.

About five minutes later, Ed came from his bedroom with a suitcase. "I don't know of anything else that I need from here. At some point, there may be something else I will want but I don't know what it will be." He said.

We went out to the truck and loaded our bit of stuff in the pickup bed and rearranged things to provide room for both girls. As we were finishing, Shirley and Janice came up bearing two suitcases and a small box each. Shirley said, "I need to pack from last night but it will only take a minute." She went into the apartment and was as good as her word. In just a minute, she was coming out the door with her case.

We got in the truck and started out.

Ed knew the shopping center that Janice's mother was probably going to visit. He gave directions and I moved out slowly. We had gone about half a mile and I saw a small body with a bright green top and dark blue pants at the side of the road. I slowed and said, "Janice, what was your mother wearing?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.